ClydesdaleCouple

Working on AOS but foreign spouse might need medical attention.

7 posts in this topic

My husband and I are working on finalizing his AOS package and 3 days ago he fell wrong on his foot and may have fractured it. He's 10 days out of his 90 for VWP, and he doesnt have travelers insurance. I have insurance, privately and through the government but I doubt that will help him. I need to know if I have to take him to the hospital, is there a chance im putting him in danger to be deported? Is there ANY way that costs accrued could get paid other then out of pocket? I didnt know if any organizations helped with that kind of stuff. Any help will be appreciated!!

From the time we submitted our forms till AOS approval (112 days).

Timeline:

January 9, 2012 : Arrived in the United States on VWP from Scotland to visit for a few months.
March 23, 2012 : Married in Pekin, IL
heart.gif
March 19, 2013 (day 1) : Forms sent into the Chicago Lockbox

March 26, 2013 (day 7) : NOA1 Reciepts for I-130, I-765, I-485; case accepted
April 4, 2013 (day 19) : Change of Address reciept
April 10, 2013 (day 25) : Biometrics appointment notice, appointment sent for April 23rd
April 15, 2013 (day 30) : RFE for I-485
April 23, 2013 (day 38) : Biometrics appointment in Naperville, IL. Super easy, no wait.
April 28 2013 (day 43) : Receipt of Evidence
May 5, 2013 (day 47) : Interview appointment to be scheduled

May 11, 2013 (day 53) : Interview set for July 9, 2013

May 27, 2013 (day 69): EAD has been ordered/sent out

June 6, 2013 (day 79): recieved EAD, applied for SSN

June 14, 2013 (day 87): Recieved SSN

July 1, 2013 (day 104): HIRED!!! (two jobs I might add!!))

July 9, 2013 (Day 112): AOS Interview @Chicago Office, APPROVED ON THE SPOT!!!

July 10, 2013 (Day 113): Illinois Drivers License!!!

July 12,2013 (Day 115): GC Production ordered

July 17, 2013 (Day 120): Green Card Recieved!!!

TWO LOVELY YEARS (July 2013 - October 2015)

October 27, 2015 (Day 1 ROC): Sent ROC packet with fee waiver and late explaination

November 11, 2015 (Day 15 ROC): Packet Denied based on lack of evidence for fee waiver

December 22nd, 2016 (Day 1 restart ROC): Packet resubmitted with better evidence

January 23rd, 2017 (Day 32 since restart ROC): Packet accepted and fee waiver approved

mbpndc.jpg

You are married. He should be added to your insurance.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Don't worry about deportation. Check with the financial department of the Hospital, they usually have charity programs for undocumented individuals. Immigration will never know so any public hospital will have to treat him and you will have the rest of your life to pay the bill.

Don't worry about deportation. Check with the financial department of the Hospital, they usually have charity programs for undocumented individuals. Immigration will never know so any public hospital will have to treat him and you will have the rest of your life to pay the bill.

Thank you so much! A real answer is always great. I would hate for him to be really hurt and not be able to take him to get help.

From the time we submitted our forms till AOS approval (112 days).

Timeline:

January 9, 2012 : Arrived in the United States on VWP from Scotland to visit for a few months.
March 23, 2012 : Married in Pekin, IL
heart.gif
March 19, 2013 (day 1) : Forms sent into the Chicago Lockbox

March 26, 2013 (day 7) : NOA1 Reciepts for I-130, I-765, I-485; case accepted
April 4, 2013 (day 19) : Change of Address reciept
April 10, 2013 (day 25) : Biometrics appointment notice, appointment sent for April 23rd
April 15, 2013 (day 30) : RFE for I-485
April 23, 2013 (day 38) : Biometrics appointment in Naperville, IL. Super easy, no wait.
April 28 2013 (day 43) : Receipt of Evidence
May 5, 2013 (day 47) : Interview appointment to be scheduled

May 11, 2013 (day 53) : Interview set for July 9, 2013

May 27, 2013 (day 69): EAD has been ordered/sent out

June 6, 2013 (day 79): recieved EAD, applied for SSN

June 14, 2013 (day 87): Recieved SSN

July 1, 2013 (day 104): HIRED!!! (two jobs I might add!!))

July 9, 2013 (Day 112): AOS Interview @Chicago Office, APPROVED ON THE SPOT!!!

July 10, 2013 (Day 113): Illinois Drivers License!!!

July 12,2013 (Day 115): GC Production ordered

July 17, 2013 (Day 120): Green Card Recieved!!!

TWO LOVELY YEARS (July 2013 - October 2015)

October 27, 2015 (Day 1 ROC): Sent ROC packet with fee waiver and late explaination

November 11, 2015 (Day 15 ROC): Packet Denied based on lack of evidence for fee waiver

December 22nd, 2016 (Day 1 restart ROC): Packet resubmitted with better evidence

January 23rd, 2017 (Day 32 since restart ROC): Packet accepted and fee waiver approved

mbpndc.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Take him for treatment. You should never lie to immigration and he will be on record as they will take his data on intake. You can work out some sort of payment plan. You are married you are responsible for your spouse.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is very unlikely to turn into an immigration matter. Your husband is eligible to adjust status and you are working on the paperwork. He isn't 'undocumented' - he is out of status. His foot needs medical attention now. Either he personally, or you as his wife, will be responsible for his medical bills in lieu of any existing medical insurance coverage.

You should also check and see if you can add him to your medical coverage since most plans allow for changes in a plan on 'life changing events' such as marriage, although you usually have a short window of time in which to make these changes, sometimes as little as 30 days. It may even be retroactive to the date of marriage (although this will depend on your insurer)so do check this out

Regardless, you should be able to work out a payment plan with the hospital at the very least. If asked, don't lie about his status. You can explain that you are recently married and he is in the process of filing the proper immigration paperwork to get his green card. It is extremely unlikely they will do anything about this, especially as the directive from the federal government is to focus on those without status who have committed crimes, rather than just having overstayed a visa. He is eligible to adjust status and you will be filing the AOS package very soon. Once you do, he will again have legal status in the US until he receives a decision on his AOS application.

In the meantime he has a foot that is in need of medical attention. Get it taken care of.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.