terrychapman

Question for you all...

25 posts in this topic

I have a friend that married a US citizen from the Philippines. He did all the paperwork and all and they were approved for the K1 visa and he got her here and they got married. Then he decided he wants to remain single and got an annulment. She is still in the US on her K1 visa and its expired. Can she still file to try and become a US citizen and stay in the US or she has no choice but to go back to the Philippines? Thanks for any replies! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

She has no method to adjust status. Go home. K-1s do not become citizens until they have remained married to the petitioner for more than three years and been a US permanent resident for more than three years. She does not even have a means to become a Permanent Resident (green card) let alone a US citizen. It did not work out for her. Thats a shame but the deal was that the benefit was being extended to her as the fiancee/spouse of a US citizen. She is no longer a finacee or spouse of a US citizen. She has no basis to remain in the US.

I have to agree. The annulment is a legal proceeding. It cancels the marridge and basis for a K-1 Petition. She should return ASAP to her home Country. Hopefully, the future Ex-husband with help with those expenses.

Yes Gary, Its a shame it did not work-out. I wish Americans would just be more careful when proceeding with a Petition and know what they want instead of a mind change. Maybe, Cultural Shock.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from K1 to Effects of Major Changes forum ****

Just to clarify: after marrying in the USA on a K1, one is supposed to file Adjustment of Status, to get a 2 year greencard. Did they do this, or no? If not, Gary is correct, she needs to go home. If she does have the 2 year conditional greencard, she has options.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Just to clarify: after marrying in the USA on a K1, one is supposed to file Adjustment of Status, to get a 2 year greencard. Did they do this, or no? If not, Gary is correct, she needs to go home. If she does have the 2 year conditional greencard, she has options.

Good point. No Mention of that in Post. Op will have to clarify. AOS is out of my league.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

No, they haven't filed for the greencard yet. She is here on the K1 only.

Timeline

Then Gary's advice applies as posted above. I'm sorry

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Then sorry but she needs to leave the US. She has no basis to adjust her status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank you all :) I am beginning to rethink the K1 visa process for myself after reading these forums! Pretty bad stories most of them!

Really? What part are you reading? Try the RUB forum! Then google "Ukrainian Brides" :lol:

Marrying a foreign woman does not make life easier than marrying a domestic woman, but certainly nothing that cannot be overcome. I can say that any problems we may have would not be related to Alla being Ukrainian. :wacko: We have been through the entire process for our marriage (still some to go for one of the boys and now Alla's mom, but WE are done!) and it is a nuisance to be sure, but no more than a nuisance. You manage it like any other aspect of life and make it as easy for yourself as you can. Other than that, life and marriage is what you make it and I find being married to someone from a different culture to be fascinating and educational and stimulating.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Really? What part are you reading? Try the RUB forum! Then google "Ukrainian Brides" :lol:

Marrying a foreign woman does not make life easier than marrying a domestic woman, but certainly nothing that cannot be overcome. I can say that any problems we may have would not be related to Alla being Ukrainian. :wacko: We have been through the entire process for our marriage (still some to go for one of the boys and now Alla's mom, but WE are done!) and it is a nuisance to be sure, but no more than a nuisance. You manage it like any other aspect of life and make it as easy for yourself as you can. Other than that, life and marriage is what you make it and I find being married to someone from a different culture to be fascinating and educational and stimulating.

That would be nice I guess but after 4 trips to Philippines, I haven't really fallen in love and doesn't look like I ever will... Just too many women to choose from! :)

Timeline

Thank you all :) I am beginning to rethink the K1 visa process for myself after reading these forums! Pretty bad stories most of them!

Bad Stories... ? International Marridges rarely fail. Sure it happens though.

As I posted above. "Know what you want and know your Companion" 50% of Marridges FAIL nowadays. Whether 3 months or 30 years.

Marridge is a Commitment to each party. Good times and bad. International Marridge is not to get a Green Card and move on.

The cultural differences are there but each party accepted that. They will be shunned in public by a few people and your commitment is to ignore that and be supportive of eachother.

These International relationship have a better chance of succeding if they love eachother. Alot better chance.

It is more rare that the USC changed his mind and only accounts for a small rebound in the first 1 to 3 years based on what I seen. Most men would never give up. This one did.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Timeline

That would be nice I guess but after 4 trips to Philippines, I haven't really fallen in love and doesn't look like I ever will... Just too many women to choose from! :)

Then you are not ready or even a trustworthy person to these women. You need to stay at strip bars then. To many women to choose from. Oh please.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.