Cathi

looking for MENA success stories

373 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Ohhhhhh when I was in Damascus...I seen old old olive trees and wondered how much history they might have seen!!!!

I have olive trees here in San Diego (just planted 2 years ago)...and have started to (pickle? brine?) the measly harvest. I was amazed I can do it myself...and how decent they tasted instead of store bought :thumbs:

Just cant get the pomegranates to grow to maturity?? Wife of Mahmoud??? Would you happen to know?

BTW it is really good to read about Jordan's Terrain or Neighboring Palestine I adore the middle east culture and envy those whom have been and seen.

These are success stories too.

Just why can I see photos of these wonderful places that members have taken??? If I google it is my search not your personal adventure...

edited for spelling planted as palented :blink: geek

I've posted a lot of pics of Palestine over the years... probably hundreds... many are still in the archives if you check my post history.

How tall are your pomegranates ? They love full sun... I have about 4 or 5 of them in my yard (including one miniature.) They are all covered in orange blooms right now.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

We stayed at Raddison Blu Tala Bay for 5 days. It was beautiful. Yeah land in Irbid is worth a fortune. His family has thousands of acres. Most of what they have for land has been passed down from other generations. It's cool to go there, you can actually see broken pieces of pottery everywhere on their land, going way back from when the Romans were in the area. Have you been to the baptismal site of Jesus yet? I was going to go when I was there in feb/march but the weather was crappy. It was torrential rain most of the time, and snow..lots of snow...his dad said it is more snow than he can every remember having in jordan and his dad is in his 70's. The dead sea is great too...we stayed at movenpik for a few days and days trips too...its so funny how you float in the water because of the high salt content. My husband isnt a swimmer and he was afraid to go in until i showed him how easy it was to float. after that i couldnt get him out of the water. Jordan really is an interesting place, and the people are so kind and welcoming.

Yep! I've been those places. The baptismal site is also cool because you will see where Elijah ascended.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

So would you live in Amman? We're moving back after graduation unless he finds an amazing job here. You can find and/or create any of the creature comforts in Jordan but they are $. Also some of it just isn't things they are used to. Get a water pressure pump. Ammar is installing one at his parent's house this visit because he has decided they are necessary. He's measured the pipes and is also taking a water saving shower head.

yes it will be in Amman. He lives in the sweileh section. Not sure what part of the city we will get a place..close to his parents i hope. i also like the abdoun part of the city...i dont know..depends on what we find and what we can afford. right now we are just concentrating on getting him here...buying anything is at least a few years away

Timeline

yes it will be in Amman. He lives in the sweileh section. Not sure what part of the city we will get a place..close to his parents i hope. i also like the abdoun part of the city...i dont know..depends on what we find and what we can afford. right now we are just concentrating on getting him here...buying anything is at least a few years away

Well the worst part is just after the interview because you have nothing left in your schedule-- it's up to them to get back to you lol.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

I've posted a lot of pics of Palestine over the years... probably hundreds... many are still in the archives if you check my post history.

What a cool idea! I've never considered planting an olive tree here. I'm in Georgia..I wonder what kind of luck I would have with them? Everyone in my family lovessss olives. It would be a worthwhile venture if they would do well here. We have high humidity here though..may not be feasible.

:(

Timeline

What a cool idea! I've never considered planting an olive tree here. I'm in Georgia..I wonder what kind of luck I would have with them? Everyone in my family lovessss olives. It would be a worthwhile venture if they would do well here. We have high humidity here though..may not be feasible.

They may work zone-wise (they need to be 8 or higher) but yeah, they wind pollinate and need the longer season and a dry climate with low humidity. Otherwise the pollen gums up. That is why they are not grown in the SE US in addition to the fact they may not be able to tolerate the rainfall.

Timeline

Well the worst part is just after the interview because you have nothing left in your schedule-- it's up to them to get back to you lol.

lol

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

It's dry enough here in South Texas to grow them - I have a small one started (they are very slow growing.)

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

They may work zone-wise (they need to be 8 or higher) but yeah, they wind pollinate and need the longer season and a dry climate with low humidity. Otherwise the pollen gums up. That is why they are not grown in the SE US in addition to the fact they may not be able to tolerate the rainfall.

#######. You're right about the zones. I just consulted the zone map here and I'm in Zone 8A.. and it's recommended to grow them in Zone 8B. Figures. lol I'm teetering right on the edge of the zone lines though. Believe or not, I guess humidity must not be factor to the southeast farmers here because they seem to be growing them in the southernmost part of the state (which is Zone 8b). Maybe I could try a container tree? That way I'd have a better shot at climate control while it grows. :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

#######. You're right about the zones. I just consulted the zone map here and I'm in Zone 8A.. and it's recommended to grow them in Zone 8B. Figures. lol I'm teetering right on the edge of the zone lines though. Believe or not, I guess humidity must not be factor to the southeast farmers here because they seem to be growing them in the southernmost part of the state (which is Zone 8b). Maybe I could try a container tree? That way I'd have a better shot at climate control while it grows. :unsure:

OP will just have to forgive me.....

Gardening...I vowed never to plant another tree that does not bear fruit...San Diego has enough palms to look pretty...so I started with and have so many it is a pleasure to walk out and munch. So find what you can grow in your zone and plant em!!!! We dont graze on the front lawns so why have them???

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Pmartin37, where in Georgia are you near? I grew up in Stone Mtn right outside of Atlanta for 12 yrs & when hubby came to the USA in 2008 that's where we were until we moved towards Houston in Aug 2009

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Timeline

It's dry enough here in South Texas to grow them - I have a small one started (they are very slow growing.)

Mmm.. I think I just might try my luck with one. Because I'm basically pretty stubborn :D

However, waiting is not my strong suit. I'm going to REALLY have to work on that considering my situation :P

Timeline

OP will just have to forgive me.....

Gardening...I vowed never to plant another tree that does not bear fruit...San Diego has enough palms to look pretty...so I started with and have so many it is a pleasure to walk out and munch. So find what you can grow in your zone and plant em!!!! We dont graze on the front lawns so why have them???

I love gardening talk...lol..talk about what you want..im just happy that people arent at each others throats good.gif

Timeline

Pmartin37, where in Georgia are you near? I grew up in Stone Mtn right outside of Atlanta for 12 yrs & when hubby came to the USA in 2008 that's where we were until we moved towards Houston in Aug 2009

Kathleen..near Warner Robins. How did your hubby like Georgia? I'm curious to see how my SO will find the climate/culture here. He's pretty laid-back so I think he'll do fine. He hasn't had the opportunity to drive in about 10+ years. Interested to see how that works out. :hehe:

Timeline

I'm trying to figure out why the mint seeds i started inside a month ago havent decided to sprout yet. everything else i planted is thriving. Im just waiting for the weather to stop being so cold at night so i can plant them outside

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.