7 posts in this topic

Please can someone offer me some advice. I applied for the removal of conditions on my green card but today I received a letter requesting further evidence. My problem is that I am unable to supply further evidence. Ever since I married my husband he has wanted to keep our finances separated so we do not have joint bank accounts. His name is on both our cars and all the utility bills. The ownership of our house is also solely in his name. I've already provided as much evidence as I can - joint taxes, flight bookings, joint health insurance and personal emails, letters etc. I don't know what else to do and I'm panicking because I'm due to give birth to our baby in a few weeks. If I get denied will I get deported and lose my child?! Im terrified and don't know what to do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

you don't mention including anything about the baby? - pictures of ultrasounds / pregnancy family photos / letter from doctor about pregnancy. ?

Your husband could write a letter stating he kept the finances separate and his reasoning as well.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Please can someone offer me some advice. I applied for the removal of conditions on my green card but today I received a letter requesting further evidence. My problem is that I am unable to supply further evidence. Ever since I married my husband he has wanted to keep our finances separated so we do not have joint bank accounts. His name is on both our cars and all the utility bills. The ownership of our house is also solely in his name. I've already provided as much evidence as I can - joint taxes, flight bookings, joint health insurance and personal emails, letters etc. I don't know what else to do and I'm panicking because I'm due to give birth to our baby in a few weeks. If I get denied will I get deported and lose my child?! Im terrified and don't know what to do.

What exactly does the RFE say?

Have you included:

- Affidavits from friends/family

- Copy of licences showing joint address

- Membership cards (gym, library etc) including membership amounts coming out of his account?

- Car insurance cards listing your name? Or the contract as an authorised driver?

- Life insurance with you or him as beneficiary

- Wills and Powers of Attorney

- Notices from Vet listing you as joint owners

Do you have ACCESS to the bank accounts like as an authorised user? Do you have a copy of a card for any of the accounts (it's different to being a joint account but still good). Does he transfer/deposit money into your account in a manner that could be tracked? (like account print-outs showing money from his account to your account)

Other evidence can compensate to for the lack of joint financial documents, that's a good list up there. I'll add medical records listing each other as emergency contacts, 401(k) docs if they list you, and any record of payments for your/baby's bills that show they were paid out of one of his accounts. You could also open a joint account now and keep it until you're done with the ROC & citizenship process, where you keep a little bit of money to pay for groceries, or expenses related to the birth/child, and still keep the bulk of your finances separate (You could even open one for you as the primary holder and just add him as an authorized user - can't stop you from doing that). This would give you a few statements to show USCIS. They don't care about the amounts in the account but usually do want to see that some co-mingling exists and might give you a harder time if you don't have it, so I personally would try to offer them fewer reasons to complicate things (but that doesn't mean you won't get your permanent GC - if you have a bona fide marriage and are not criminally known, in the end you WILL get it).

If you write exactly what the RFE says and list what you already provided, I'm sure people here will come up with additional ideas of what to send the immigration folks.

On a personal note thought, I would not be comfortable with my husband keeping all his finances and property separate, especially if kids are in the picture, even if he is good about providing for us and I earn enough on my part. In the event something happened to him, it would be a lengthy probate nightmare to get the property and would result in a lot of fees and taxes (taxes because you are not a USC) that are otherwise avoidable to be paid out of the estate, and might even make funds and assets that you need for your children's daily needs & education unavailable until they become 18. I'm not familiar with your situation, and maybe he has good reasons for doing what he is doing (e.g. ugly divorce with ex would make anyone extra-cautious), but I would very strongly suggest he consult with an attorney (if you guys haven't already) to make sure things are handled in the best possible way, which is possible with separate finances but not as straight-forward.

Edited by DaniG

10/07/2007 Entered the US on J-1 visa

11/03/2008 Changed status to F-1

02/14/2010 Married

03/15/2010 Filed AOS (from F-1)

05/27/2010 AOS approved, GC Issued

02/28/2012 Mailed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

03/01/2012 I-751 received by CSC/NOA Issued

03/15/2012 Biometrics letter sent

04/12/2012 Biometrics appointment per letter

05/27/2012 GC expires

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think the list the others have provided is good and also request more information on your part.

On a side note, even if you were deported and didn't get approved (although if you are in a good faith marriage I wouldn't worry about it) you won't lose your baby as you seem to be worried about above. If you got deported there would be probably a lengthy custody debate, but you wouldn't automatically lose because you are not a USC. Don't worry about that right now at all. Just try to get as much evidence as you can.

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Personal affidavits from friends and family

I would really play up your child that's pretty strong evidence gather as much evidence as you can about your child.

More photos

03/26/2009: NVC in
04/08/2009: Learned we are being screened for Additional Processing 'AP'
05/09/2009: Arrived at the US consulate in Bangkok
05/15/2009: Medical Passed
05/20/2009: Packet 3 received
05/21/2009: Packet 3 returned

07/08/2009: Interview
07/08/2009: issued 221(g) due to proof of single status document missing a stamp
07/20/2009: Resubmitted document with missing stamp. Accepted
07/23/2009: Visa issued

07/28/2009: POE JFK
07/31/2009: Married
09/02/2009: AOS submitted
09/10/2009 NOA1
09/25/2009: Case Transfered to CSC
10/13/2009 Biometrics
10/26/2009: Received EAD card
11/30/2009: RFE Delayed Birth Registration
12/31/2009: USCIS receives RFE reply
1/07/2010: Green Card Delivered
1/15/2010: Green Card Arrived

10/10/2011: Mailed in I-751 to remove conditions
10/20/2011: NOA1
11/28/2011: Biometrics
03/29/2012: RFE USCIS wants more proof of a bona fide relationship
04/03/2012: USCIS receives RFE reply
04/10/2012: Approval Letter
5/18/2012: Email notice that Green Card is being produced
5/24/2012: Green Card Arrived

10/07/14: N-400 mailed

11/12/14: Biometrics

12/5//14: In Line

03/25/15: Naturalization Ceremony: Journey Complete

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.