JLH142

Obtaining Drivers' Learning Permit

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello again,

I am going to go to the DMV and apply to get my learners permit.I'm in the process of AOS and my SSN is under my maiden name as such, will the DMV say that I am legally permitted to learn? Will it be alright to put in the forms my new, married name and still have my SSN under my maiden name? Will that confuse them? I am just cautious as naturally they are pretty officious and I'm not sure how they would be about this.

Does anyone have any experience of this please?

Many thanks,

The laws for every state vary. Some won't allow you to have a drivers license until you adjust status. Some don't care if you're here legally or not. The DMV is run by each state under its own laws, so without giving your state, no one is going to be able to give you the right information unless they get lucky.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Hello again,

I am going to go to the DMV and apply to get my learners permit.I'm in the process of AOS and my SSN is under my maiden name as such, will the DMV say that I am legally permitted to learn? Will it be alright to put in the forms my new, married name and still have my SSN under my maiden name? Will that confuse them? I am just cautious as naturally they are pretty officious and I'm not sure how they would be about this.

Does anyone have any experience of this please?

Many thanks,

It depends on your state whether you can get a permit before EAD or a greencard. There's 50 sets of rules. Why don't you ring up the office and ask the SSN question? Beats standing in line just to be turned away.

Edit:

Wow. Three of us posted simultaneously

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I don't understand what you're trying to do so I hope this answers your question/s. First, no you CANNOT have your drivers licence in one name and your GC in another. The SSN needs to match your GC. Your licence matches your SSN name. You will probably get the drivers licence NOW before your AOS is complete in maiden name but it's only going to be valid for a certain period and then you'll probably need to change it.

If you don't want to take your husbands last name then don't. if you do then do it across the board here in the US. Your have ONE legal name so pick what you want it to be otherwise it'll be very confusing. For example if your EAD/GC is in your married name then your work stuff will be as well, however your SSN won't match your EAD and when you file taxes what name are you going to put? It HAS to be your SSN name.

Regarding the DMV letting you learn... depends on what your state requirements are. Some will require and EAD or GC. Again this brings up the name issue when they enter your name on the system (they check with the SSA). I suggest you get your SSN changed if you can. If you CAN'T then try and get your DL in your maiden name at least for now... unless you have a GC it's likely they'll only issue it for a short period anyway (like until I-94 expiry or EAD expiry).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I did obtain a learning permit in my maiden name.They did check my notification letters for EAD and AOS, and didnt count that i had allready a permit in Romania :D Seems like after i get the real EAD card i will be able to change the maiden name on permit with the new name.Also before i did apply for permit, i did apply for a FL ID(wich was in my maiden name)because i did need it when to apply for permit.Good luck!

Thanks for all your help! Just so you know it's in California - does anyone know how they work here please?

California Dept. of Motor Vehicles: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl.htm

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I moved to Tennessee from Canada back in August of 2011. I went to the Tennessee Department of Motor Vehicles and they simply handed me my temporary US driver's license without much of a question. There was a slight delay of a few days as they had to verify my legal entry with the Department of Homeland Security, but they said because I was Canadian, the rules of the road were identical. I thought I would have had to take at least the knowledge test because laws are different, but there was none of that required. I was amazed.

I don't know specifically what will happen if you're from England, but I cannot imagine that it will be too much of a hassle, even if driving occurs on the opposite side of the road.

Good luck!

fj4km4.png

K-1 Visa Timeline
07/15/05: Met for the first time in Ontario, Canada. <3
07/21/10: I-129F sent to Vermont Service Center
07/29/10: I-129F NOA1 received (Approved! biggrin.png)
02/02/11: I-129F NOA2 received (No RFEs biggrin.png)
02/05/11: NVC received
02/09/11: NVC left
02/19/11: Consulate received
03/05/11: Packet 3 received
03/15/11: Packet 3 sent
03/31/11: Packet 4 received
07/26/11: Interview at consulate in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
08/04/11: Visa received
08/07/11: US Entry (from Ottawa to Chicago. No issues at all. biggrin.png)
08/19/11: Married! Finally!

K-1 AOS Timeline
07/15/05: Met for the first time in Ontario, Canada. <3
08/07/11: US Entry (from Ottawa to Chicago. No issues at all. biggrin.png)
08/19/11: Married! Finally!
08/21/11: Courthouse visit to get marriage certificate
08/30/11: Applied for SS card
09/06/11: I-485 and I-785 sent to Chicago Service Center
09/09/11: NOA received for both I-485 and I-785
09/26/11: Received SS card
11/03/11: Biometrics appointment date in Nashville, Tennessee
11/11/11: RFE received for birth certificate
11/15/11: National Benefits Center receives required documentation for RFE
11/25/11: AOS case transferred
12/02/11: EAD (I-785) approved! Yay! Time to work! biggrin.png
12/14/11: EAD card received in the mail. <3
03/09/12: Permanent residency status approved. Card in production!
03/11/12: Permanent resident card in hand. biggrin.png

Please look at timeline for remainder of info!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

NOAs from your AOS are very helpful when you try to apply for State IDs because they will honor the name you have in the forms as long as you have your marriage certificate with you to prove name change plus the other requirements. I got my State ID, Learner's permit and DL before I got my GC.

tumblr_m24igfpWr01rtrvwyo1_r1_250.jpg

Click image to view my blog!

AOS Timeline

11/1/11 - AOS package Delivered

11/7/11 - NOA Received in the mail

11/12/11 - Biometrics Appointment received

11/28/11 - Case transferred to CSC

12/7/11 - Biometrics done

1/2/12 - EAD and AP approved (Card production)

1/11/12 - EAD/AP Card received

1/20/12 - Got Driver's License!

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.