35 posts in this topic

I have had Magic Jacks for years. A few things to be careful with. First if your internet is slow your talking will be s-l-o-w like skype when you have a bad connection. Second becareful mailing one of these to your fiance as the country they live in may take it away and not deliver. I had that happen to a friend in the Philippines. It works just like a phone as long as you have an active internet connection. It is small a little bigge than a normal USB, fits right into USB connection. Then plug in your phone to the small cord they supply or just run it through your computer like chat. It is easy and cheap. You can pick your USA area code when you install.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone....i also using magic jack to my iphone but it's free no need to purchased $30...i just downloaded it to apple store you just search it "magic jack" and also it'sfree to download....

Hello everyone....i also using magic jack to my iphone but it's free no need to purchased $30...i just downloaded it to apple store you just search it "magic jack" and also it'sfree to download....

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I used Magicjack for 1year and 7months with my wife. It was very good. We called each other anytime. Then I paid $20 for one year. It saved a whole lot of money in making international call. God bless Magicjack. Now I am in the US and we don't use it anymore. You guys can try it out.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Just wanted to share with everyone.

Last October I purchased a Magic Jack from Walmart for $40

I set it up on my fiance's laptop in Turkey when I was visiting, it issues you a US phone number

I call him whenever I want without dialing country codes as if I was dialing in the US, not even dialing 1

and he can call my cell, home or whatever number I have, whereever I am.

We are on the phone day and night;)

It saves all the headache with sometime slow internet lines and it saved us a lot of money.

You only pay $40

In case you didnt know, might wanna try

You can also set it up and mail it to your other half;)

:)))

My wife talks and sees her sister free with her Iphone using QQ

Filed: Timeline

Not everyone can use those android phones or Iphone, My fiance for instance is horrible when it comes to using them. So MJ works for us.

My phone rang one day and I had this number listed as "Magic Jack" on my address book. My 17 year old son saw who was calling and had no idea about this gadget. After I spoke to my fiance and hung up , he looks disgusted and says "Magic Jack, mom? Really?" :)))

That was a good laugh:)

I had looked at this once but wasn't really enticed enough to get it, I wanted an option that benefited myself, my wife (fiance at the time I got it) and her family so I ended up going with Vonage simply because they were the only reliable VoIP provider I could find that would allow me to get a local Argentina phone number bound to my account so she (while she was still residing there) and her family could call without using international calling cards and we wouldn't have to pay a fortune to call back (unlimited international calling) (I pay $50/month for the service). The other beauty is we can use the Vonage Extension feature on our cell phones to make international calls via our Vonage plan. Obviously though the same bandwidth requirements as magic jack apply.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just wanted to share with everyone.

Last October I purchased a Magic Jack from Walmart for $40

I set it up on my fiance's laptop in Turkey when I was visiting, it issues you a US phone number

I call him whenever I want without dialing country codes as if I was dialing in the US, not even dialing 1

and he can call my cell, home or whatever number I have, whereever I am.

We are on the phone day and night;)

It saves all the headache with sometime slow internet lines and it saved us a lot of money.

You only pay $40

In case you didnt know, might wanna try

You can also set it up and mail it to your other half;)

:)))

Are you saying you can hook up this doojiggy in a foreign country and it makes it seem like you have a local domestic phone way over there?

Are you saying you can hook up this doojiggy in a foreign country and it makes it seem like you have a local domestic phone way over there?

Considering it's nothing more than a VoIP adapter there's no reason it wouldn't work as such in another country. It just really depends on the internet connection it's being hooked up to (VoIP really should have a decent connection of 3mbps or higher)

Edited by extrarius

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Not everyone can use those android phones or Iphone, My fiance for instance is horrible when it comes to using them. So MJ works for us.

My phone rang one day and I had this number listed as "Magic Jack" on my address book. My 17 year old son saw who was calling and had no idea about this gadget. After I spoke to my fiance and hung up , he looks disgusted and says "Magic Jack, mom? Really?" :)))

That was a good laugh:)

HAHA that was funny..definitely a good laugh biggrin.gif

K-1 to Citizenship - 6 year immigration journey: January 2012 to January 2018

Yep, I have five of them in the Philippines. Sisters, cousins, aunts, etc. Every one of them has a Georgia phone number that is local for us. Wife calls from our land line to a local number and it rings in Manila, or Negros Occidental. Lol she also calls them (or them her), to her cell phone when she is in the mall and asking if they want something. No charge, ever, except the annual renewal.

i have gave 3 units to friends in ukraine and when i visit ukraine i use it to run my business seem funny when i call my customers and they ask for visit today and i tell be kinda late as the air travel is 15 hours alone they are shocked and again as long as good inet connection no one knows you are out of country even during flight layovers i plug it in and keep family updated and for the price how can you beat it once sveta comes to houston i will leave it with her family so they can stay in contact everyday as they wish

Edited by Sveta & Ron

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes. It's small box that you connect a conventional telephone handset to, and also connect either to a PC via USB or to a router via ethernet. It uses the internet to connect to MagicJack servers throughout the US and Canada. These servers connect to the local telephone network. From the telephone network's perspective, it's a local call coming from the server, even though the server is relaying audio over the internet. This means you can use it anywhere in the world that has an internet connection with sufficient bandwidth, and it will be the same (audio quality aside) as having a local phone in the United States.

There's also a small flash memory in the device that contains configuration information for the VoIP functions, but also is configured to appear as a USB drive when connected to a computer. The computer automatically launches the app on the flash memory, which installs the MagicJack program on the computer. You can use the MagicJack without this program, but it makes life a little easier by including a call log, autodialer, and address book.

Considering it's nothing more than a VoIP adapter there's no reason it wouldn't work as such in another country. It just really depends on the internet connection it's being hooked up to (VoIP really should have a decent connection of 3mbps or higher)

MagicJack claims you only need 128kbps upload speed. This is comparable to a medium quality MP3 bit rate. A bandwidth of 3mbps is high enough for video.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yep, I have five of them in the Philippines. Sisters, cousins, aunts, etc. Every one of them has a Georgia phone number that is local for us. Wife calls from our land line to a local number and it rings in Manila, or Negros Occidental. Lol she also calls them (or them her), to her cell phone when she is in the mall and asking if they want something. No charge, ever, except the annual renewal.

Dave have you had good reception with Magic Jack in the South Philippines such as Kidapawan. That is where my fiancee family lives.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Dave have you had good reception with Magic Jack in the South Philippines such as Kidapawan. That is where my fiancee family lives.

Actually we have better reception in the province than in Manila. If they get a reasonable internet connection you should be fine. Our relatives are in the Bacolod\Silay area and they always seems to have better reception that our daughter in Manila. Manila is quite useable though, just the occasional static etc.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Actually we have better reception in the province than in Manila. If they get a reasonable internet connection you should be fine. Our relatives are in the Bacolod\Silay area and they always seems to have better reception that our daughter in Manila. Manila is quite useable though, just the occasional static etc.

Thanks Dave. Did you mail the Magic Jacks or took them with you when you visited the Philippines. I need to get about 3 delivered. 2 in Cavite and 1 in Kidapawan.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.