EnglishMuffin

Work upon entering through k1 visa

19 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Tomorrow I have my medical in London, so I'm pretty sure I am close to my interview at the embassy, fingers crossed.

I am now starting to think about work upon entering the United States.

I understand that the K1 visa holder is issued with a temporary work visa, and can file for a SS number upon landing in the US.

My fiancé would like to finish school, and I am a graduate of Film Production. She is happy to move anywhere in the US, be in Chicago, NY or LA, for me to get a good job and for her to go back to school. I am going to be looking for a job in the film industry, preferably one with good health benefits (wish me luck).

I suppose my question is, has anyone experienced this ? Wanting to find work upon landing, or even before? I am going to start searching for jobs, and try to land interviews before departing. Has anyone had much success?

Thanks

Chris

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

You can't work for some months after the wedding, you are somwhat mistaken (when you enter on K1 you can apply for a temporary work permit but that takes about 2 months to get and it is only good for one more month, so that is a waste of money and time).

Edited by Peter_Pan

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi All,

Tomorrow I have my medical in London, so I'm pretty sure I am close to my interview at the embassy, fingers crossed.

I understand that the K1 visa holder is issued with a temporary work visa, and can file for a SS number upon landing in the US.

My fiancé would like to finish school, and I am a graduate of Film Production. She is happy to move anywhere in the US, be in Chicago, NY or LA, for me to get a good job and for her to go back to school. I am going to be looking for a job in the film industry, preferably one with good health benefits (wish me luck).

I suppose my question is, has anyone experienced this ? Wanting to find work upon landing, or even before? I am going to start searching for jobs, and try to land interviews before departing. Has anyone had much success?

Thanks

Chris

No. K1 does not authorize work. You won't be legally able to work until you apply for and get EAD (Employment Authorization Document).

You can appply for SSN right away, but you will receive it with a large print stating that the work is authorized only with EAD.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You are not allowed to work until you get your EAD or GC, whatever comes first.

K1 visa
Filed I-129: Dec 3rd 2010
Interview: July 6th 2011 APPROVED!

AOS
Filed: Oct 4th 2011
AOS Interview: Feb 7th 2012 - RFE sad.png
AOS Approved: Feb 9th - without sending RFE
Green Card received: Feb 17th smile.png

ROC

Filed: Nov 13th 2013

Approved: March 13th 2014

No. K1 does not authorize work. You won't be legally able to work until you apply for and get EAD (Employment Authorization Document).

You can appply for SSN right away, but you will receive it with a large print stating that the work is authorized only with EAD.

How does one get the EAD? Is this something processed with an employer? What is the time frame ?

How does one get the EAD? Is this something processed with an employer? What is the time frame ?

Please read up on the Adjustment of Status process: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Once you're in the US and married, you'll need to file additional documents to get a Social Security card, an Employment Authorization Document, and a green card.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

You will have to marry first and then apply for Adjustment of Status (to permananet resident). At the same time you can apply for EAD.

EAD usually takes a couple of months to be approved. Please read guides for AOS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You apply for it after your married it costs $1070 to file AOS EAD and AP. Please read the guides.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi All,

I understand that the K1 visa holder is issued with a temporary work visa,

No they are not. This is not true. They can not legally work until they file for AOS and receive either the EAD or GC.

and can file for a SS number upon landing in the US.

One can do this with just the I-94; so yes this is how it is done.

Thanks

Chris

You can not legally work until you have the EAD or GC in hand.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Country:
Timeline

You can apply for EAD the day you land in the US. The big problem is that it will take time to get approved and it will expire 90 days after you arrive in the US (exact same day as your I-94).

While nobody can predict processing times what do you think are the chances of getting the EAD and securing a job within 90 days? Even if you get the EAD in 6 weeks (which would be quite a feat) any prospective employer will see from the EAD that you are only authorized to work for maximum of 6 weeks. Do you think that improves your change of getting hired?

If you wanted to start working ASAP upon landing in the US then you should have already got married and enter the US on an IR/CR Visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

Just to be clear, once you enter the USA you must marry within 90 days, after which you must file for adjustment of status. With this application you will be able to apply for EAD (Green card) and AP (Advanced Parole). These are taking around three months to come through.

A few things you need to note if you don't know already.

You cannot work until you receive your EAD temporary green card. No if, but, maybe about it. You CANNOT work legally.

You cannot leave the United States until you have been granted Advanced Parole or you will not be let back in and you will have to file for a new visa such as the CR1 if you are married. ! No Exceptions. Even exceptional circumstances need to have AP granted although you can expedite in some of those exceptional circumstances.

When you are granted for AOS you will usually be given a conditional two year residency which will also give you a conditional 2 year green card.

At the end of the two years you must file to remove these conditions.

It's a long journey but worth it. I realise you probably know some of this already so, I'm sorry if this seems patronising, but I REALLY don't want to see anyone separated from their loved ones!.

It has happened! And will happen again! A few people married and went on their honeymoon in another country only to find they could not come back in!

Timeline

Just to be clear, once you enter the USA you must marry within 90 days, after which you must file for adjustment of status. With this application you will be able to apply for EAD (Green card) and AP (Advanced Parole). These are taking around three months to come through.

A few things you need to note if you don't know already.

You cannot work until you receive your EAD temporary green card. No if, but, maybe about it. You CANNOT work legally.

You cannot leave the United States until you have been granted Advanced Parole or you will not be let back in and you will have to file for a new visa such as the CR1 if you are married. ! No Exceptions. Even exceptional circumstances need to have AP granted although you can expedite in some of those exceptional circumstances.

When you are granted for AOS you will usually be given a conditional two year residency which will also give you a conditional 2 year green card.

At the end of the two years you must file to remove these conditions.

It's a long journey but worth it. I realise you probably know some of this already so, I'm sorry if this seems patronising, but I REALLY don't want to see anyone separated from their loved ones!.

It has happened! And will happen again! A few people married and went on their honeymoon in another country only to find they could not come back in!

EAD is not a temporary green card. It is just what it says, employment authorization. It does not grant or change your immigration status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

EAD is not a temporary green card. It is just what it says, employment authorization. It does not grant or change your immigration status.

My mistake, I thought 'green card' was the collective term for work authorisation. Thanks for clearing that up!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

so even if i have SSN i cant work? Cause ive been there 3 times on a work visa :/

Dec 22- I129F sent TSC
Dec 27- txt/email NOA1
Dec 29- NOA1 Hard Copy Received
May 31- RFE text/email...oh wells ....
June 05- RFE letter
June 06 - RFE sent
June 11- RFE received at CSC
June 15- NOA2!!!!!!!!!!! So great!!!!!!!
July 16- NVC Received Case
September 27 - Interview Approved
October 10- POE NEW YORK
November 17- Wedding day
December 24- AOS Package sent
UQKwp2.png

aYJpp2.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.