62 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I work for a financial institution and I know some banks allow customers to add an overseas person

Some banks? That is very vague. Can you specify what is required to do this in your bank? Can you specify an actual name of a bank that allows this?

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good god I am the last person to suggest fraud I work for a financial institution and I know some banks allow customers to add an overseas person to make it a joint account allowing for legal use of debit card or add person to credit car as joint account holder

It's been done legally and successfully before but a lot of banks now require a ss number but some allow for joint account holders without it

When I asked my bank they said to fill out a W8BEN to add my foreign spouse. They have to send copies of passport pic and a bill or something with their address on it. Not all banks will do this and also I don't know if it can be done for engaged people. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

When I asked my bank they said to fill out a W8BEN to add my foreign spouse. They have to send copies of passport pic and a bill or something with their address on it. Not all banks will do this and also I don't know if it can be done for engaged people. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Major banks will commonly do this. Try B of A or Chase. However, this will NOT help the OP's fiance obtain the visa NOW. They are looking for more "personal" evidence that shows a close personal relationship. A joint bank account doesn't do that and certainly won't work AFTER the visa interview.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Major banks will commonly do this. Try B of A or Chase. However, this will NOT help the OP's fiance obtain the visa NOW. They are looking for more "personal" evidence that shows a close personal relationship. A joint bank account doesn't do that and certainly won't work AFTER the visa interview.

Very true. Like Pushbrk said before time together is your best evidence you can do. Accounts, life insurance all that is nothing compared to a few weeks together and the great photo op.

Like many have mentioned something they just wasn't seeing in all those emails and such. I know its hard to show all our personal business but the means justify the ends. You have to show a real personal relationship. Did they name specifics in letter more pics, letters, something? If not get a visit in ASAP. And start building your case from this point onward.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the post. My fiance and I do have pretty personal emails and posts from our messengers and Skype that I can pick and highlight and submit. In addition, I plan on organizing all the information (like I have done before when I submitted the original fiance visa application) chronologically and dividing the paperwork based on category (photos, personal emails, affidavits, etc.). As far as I am concerned, this SHOULD be enough, but as many of you have pointed out to me earlier, the U.S. embassy in Islamabad make it nearly impossible to approve Pakistani men for visas during the interview process (usually they require more evidence).

Very true. Like Pushbrk said before time together is your best evidence you can do. Accounts, life insurance all that is nothing compared to a few weeks together and the great photo op.

Like many have mentioned something they just wasn't seeing in all those emails and such. I know its hard to show all our personal business but the means justify the ends. You have to show a real personal relationship. Did they name specifics in letter more pics, letters, something? If not get a visit in ASAP. And start building your case from this point onward.

Timeline

Thanks for the post. My fiance and I do have pretty personal emails and posts from our messengers and Skype that I can pick and highlight and submit. In addition, I plan on organizing all the information (like I have done before when I submitted the original fiance visa application) chronologically and dividing the paperwork based on category (photos, personal emails, affidavits, etc.). As far as I am concerned, this SHOULD be enough, but as many of you have pointed out to me earlier, the U.S. embassy in Islamabad make it nearly impossible to approve Pakistani men for visas during the interview process (usually they require more evidence).

Organization is great but don't overdo the quantity. Make it easy for them to actually see what they said they want to see, in examples spread over time. What you did before sending hundreds of pages, virtually assured that they would not see what they NEEDED to see.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

That sounds good to me. That's what we did. I did happen to go to my husband's country when he went for his visa interview, but they didn't let me in. Not all consulates welcome USC spouses to go in for the interview. I went through the notebook I sent in with my husband and put sticky notes on things, to at least show how involved I was, if nothing else. He really didn't go in with much...

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that people are making the suggestion of including a k-1 applicant to your bank account information/etc.... Do whatever you feel is necessary I guess, but I personally would not have done that even if I HAD thought of it when we were applying to my husband's k-1... As a previous poster indicated, I really think that would raise more red flags....

Good luck!!

We met in October 2007 and our immigration journey started in July 2008 when we filed for the I-129F Fiance Visa petition. 

~05/16/2009~ MARRIED!!!!

~08/31/2011~ OUR SON WAS BORN!!!!

~02/17/2012~ Mailed I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residency to Vermont Service Center

~03/19/2012~ ASC Biometrics Appointment

~11/05/2012~ Production of 10-year GC ordered

~7/1/2014~ Our son's first trip to Morocco

~03/17/2018~ Filed N-400

~04/09/2018~ Biometrics

~6/13/2018~ Off to Morocco, my parents in tow!

~10/23/2018~ Interview, approved

~11/7/2018~ Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Its amazing how everyone gives opinion on VJ even they dont knw exactly whts going on at the consulate, Islamabad isnt like other consulate, as far as I can see, everything you take to them can be a red flag as per VJ users,, and abt the account,, Mohsin is my fiance and he is a co-user on my Macys, Jc Penny and my debit card,, and yes the bank do give that,, I am with Capital One Bank and I got it from them, without any problems.If u take too little chat logs it may not be enough, and if u take too much its red flag, frankly everyone case isnt the same.

Filed: Timeline

I have compiled most of my paperwork. I think I have about 200-250 pages of information and here is how it is organized and broken down:

1) Affidavits testifying that we have established a bonafide relationship (5-7 people will issue us these affidavits)

2) Evidence of our visits (boarding pass, tickets, itinerary, passport stamps). We have photos but we sent those in when we sent in the application as well as during the interview, I can also submit those again.

3) Emails regarding our wedding preparations (this includes announcing our engagement, contacting banquet halls and photographers (with their responses), and emails about my bridal shower that my friends and family are planning for me (I highlighted dates and important information in the emails).

4) Emails of our personal exchanges. (highlighted dates and some content for them to read easier).

5) Photos we have taken over the last 2 years through Skype and other messenger services.

6) Facebook exchanges we have had (a few pages providing evidence of our love and intent to get married,also highlighted dates and important content)

7) Skype exchanges that provide evidence of our relationship (I chose a few pages of text where we talk about our relationship and getting married and planning out our future. These were highlighted as well, just like the others I mentioned)

8) Yahoo messenger messages (just like skype, I chose a few chats where we talk about our love and wanting to get married and settling down and highlighted the dates and content).

9) Phone logs from the last 12 months.

10) Text message logs from the last 12 months.

11) List of people who are aware and have been aware of our relationship and our engagement. (I have not gathered this list yet but I can come up with at least 50 people who can provide their contact information).

What do you all think? Any thoughts?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

when my fiancé submitted our paperwork, he and I wrote history letters about how our story was developing. Our case is somewhat different from a regular K-1 application so we felt it would serve us better if we gave them a better chance to look into our relationship. Mine was about 2 pages; my fiancé's was a little shorter. He notarized his. As you can see from my timeline there is no way to tell if it was a good idea or not since we haven't even crossed NOA2 step yet, but I thought it might be something that you can use too.

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2012-02-03
US Entry : 2012-11-01

Adjustment of Status

I-485 sent : 2012-11-14
Interview : 2013-05-21

GC received: 2013-06-13

Removing conditions

I-751 Sent: 2015-03-02

Approval: 2015-12-11

GC received: 2015-12-21

Citizenship

N-400 sent: 2016-03-21

Interview: 2016-08-08

Oath: 2016-08-17

Timeline

I have compiled most of my paperwork. I think I have about 200-250 pages of information and here is how it is organized and broken down:

1) Affidavits testifying that we have established a bonafide relationship (5-7 people will issue us these affidavits)

2) Evidence of our visits (boarding pass, tickets, itinerary, passport stamps). We have photos but we sent those in when we sent in the application as well as during the interview, I can also submit those again.

3) Emails regarding our wedding preparations (this includes announcing our engagement, contacting banquet halls and photographers (with their responses), and emails about my bridal shower that my friends and family are planning for me (I highlighted dates and important information in the emails).

4) Emails of our personal exchanges. (highlighted dates and some content for them to read easier).

5) Photos we have taken over the last 2 years through Skype and other messenger services.

6) Facebook exchanges we have had (a few pages providing evidence of our love and intent to get married,also highlighted dates and important content)

7) Skype exchanges that provide evidence of our relationship (I chose a few pages of text where we talk about our relationship and getting married and planning out our future. These were highlighted as well, just like the others I mentioned)

8) Yahoo messenger messages (just like skype, I chose a few chats where we talk about our love and wanting to get married and settling down and highlighted the dates and content).

9) Phone logs from the last 12 months.

10) Text message logs from the last 12 months.

11) List of people who are aware and have been aware of our relationship and our engagement. (I have not gathered this list yet but I can come up with at least 50 people who can provide their contact information).

First, get this down to no more than 50 pages of your best relationship evidence. I would start by eliminating 9, 10 and 11 entirely. Prioritize the best of everything else. Keep cutting until you get to no more than 50 pages. This is so they MIGHT actually READ what you send. I would pick two or three people for affidavits but no more. Pick the ones who have the most intimate knowledge of your relationship and can actually express what they have observed about it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

I am not exactly clear in reading these. Are y'all preparing for another interview in person or is this to be mailed in?

If it is in person, certainly cull it to something that no one would groan at when seeing how much is submitted to deal with. Put that together and carry the rest separately that you can pull from only if it is asked for. This way, you and the interviewer won't be overwhelmed by volume but you'll still have every last scrap with you just in case.

If this is to be mailed in, I don't even understand. There is no specific list of what is to be submitted?

(On the side topic, I asked at one of my banks this morning about adding someone to the account. I was told that person has to show up face-to-face at one of the branch offices, that there is absolutely no other option ever. It is screamingly suspicious that in the "some banks do it" assurances, only one has stated "I did it with someone who was not in the country." )

Edited to add:

Is it possible to go with him to the interview? If not, can you be in the country? I read of one account on here recently where the foreigner, when asked about the USC, stated that he was waiting outside and pulled out his passport to provide proof. I don't know if that would help, but I thought that was a very blatant "we are a real couple" thing to do.)

Edited by EminTX

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

EminTX: It depends on your bank. I have my credit card through Bank of America. I can go online right now, type a name and they will send a credit card in the mail to me by tomorrow. You need a social security number, but all I had to do to get one for my fiance (now wife) was talk to a customer service rep through online chat. Debit cards may be different (they should be), but getting a credit card was no problem.

Timeline

EminTX: but getting a credit card was no problem.

You telling me that anyone could go online posing as you and do a chat via computer to change your account access is not just scary, it is downright terrifying. It makes it very clear how B O A values the security issues of its customers. Yikes and double yikes!

Edited for lack of typing skills

Edited by EminTX

You telling me that anyone could go online posing as you and do a chat via computer to change your account access is not just scary, it is downright terrifying. It makes it very clear how B O A values the security issues of its customers. Yikes and double yikes!

Edited for lack of typing skills

You have to log in to your account with a password and are usually asked security questions before you can make changes, but yeah I can do it with my credit card company. It's not just some random person saying "hey I'm Jane Doe and I want a credit card for my sweetie." I bank with a small hometown bank so they're not as advanced with the online stuff but the larger banks have it set up so you can do most things online. If it's all done after security checks, what's the issue?

Edited by Darkmoonfaerie

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.