Timeline

1. Country USC resides in: Qatar

2. Is there a USCIS field office in this country / Is DCF still possible? No

3. When did you file the I-130: March 2013

4. How long had you been living abroad: 1 year

5. Do you reside in the country legally? Yes, residence permit

6. What is the reason for your residence: To be with husband

7. Did you list your foreign address on all forms in I-130 package? Yes

8. Did you send I-130 package from abroad? Technically, no. I sent it first to my dad so he could add the check then he fwd'd it to Chicago lockbox via UPS.However I wrote across on the envelope "Filed from Abroad"

9. Did you include evidence of your residence abroad in the I-130 package? Yes included copies of my Passport pages with Qatar Residence Permit.

10. Did you mention the fact you reside abroad in the cover letter or write a letter describing your current situation and the evolution of your relationship with your spouse (mentioning your residence abroad)? Yes, mentioned in cover letter

11. Has your case been "auto-expedited"? How long between NOA1 and NOA2? Yes, 98 days.I hope 98 days isn't considered too long :)

There was a mix up with the payment.The check my dad sent was invalid as my old savings account was closed due to dormancy.The check bounced and USCIS sent a $30 fee plus $420.This took a month - for them to send the new invoice.However they printed the MSC number of another petition on this invoice.The payment was charged to his card but they updated cases status saying case was suspended due to insufficient funds.After countless calls to uscis nscs they finally rectified it.This was the reason for taking so long for the I 130 approval.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

just bumping this thread if someone hasn't noticed

please post here if you have been approved quickly while both USC and foreign spouse stay abroad.

would be interesting to know if this trend is still continuing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. Country USC resides in: Canada
3. When did you file the I-130: April 2013
4. How long had you been living abroad: Since May 2012
5. Do you reside in the country legally? Yes, on a visitor visa that I keep current with the government
6. What is the reason for your residence: work permit/student/tourist/ Work - Tourist
8. Did you send I-130 package from abroad? Yes
9. Did you include evidence of your residence abroad in the I-130 package? Not really, just the fact that we got married abroad and had a foreign joint bank account.
10. Did you mention the fact you reside abroad in the cover letter or write a letter describing your current situation and the evolution of your relationship with your spouse (mentioning your residence abroad)? Yes
11. Has your case been "auto-expedited"? How long between NOA1 and NOA2? I guess so, 80 days.

Not sure if 80 days is expedited, but it seems that recently it's been taking a bit longer for foreign applications compared to a few months ago.

I'm at 103 days now. I'm almost thinking it would have been faster for them to transfer it to my local office (Raleigh/Durham), since it's so small I bet it would have gone real quick. I was told it'll stay at NBC so I'm still hoping for an "early-ish" approval.

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'm at 103 days now. I'm almost thinking it would have been faster for them to transfer it to my local office (Raleigh/Durham), since it's so small I bet it would have gone real quick. I was told it'll stay at NBC so I'm still hoping for an "early-ish" approval.

I don't want to pop your hope bubble, but our original I-130 took 6 months because it was transferred to the local office. The second one we sent took a day or two because they let us do DCF on account of the mix up.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

It's based on if the USC is abroad and doesn't have a US address.

And it's not expedited - it's simply not sent to a local office.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

It's based on if the USC is abroad and doesn't have a US address.

And it's not expedited - it's simply not sent to a local office.

i am living abroad and plan to until our cr-1 is issued, but i do have a address at my parents house in the US. do i list the foreign address as my address on the i-130 in the information about me to try for an "expedite"? i see that sometimes they ask you to change this address to a US address

They only ask you to change it if you call in. I do not suggest a US address anywhere until you are at the NVC stage.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

1. Country USC resides in: Vietnam

3. When did you file the I-130: NOA1 March 18, 2013

4. How long had you been living abroad: Since 2009

5. Do you reside in the country legally? Yes, on a 5 year visa exempt for spouses

6. What is the reason for your residence: work permit/student/tourist - work/travel

9. Did you include evidence of your residence abroad in the I-130 package? No. Just put it as my address on the forms when asked for current address

10. Did you mention the fact you reside abroad in the cover letter or write a letter describing your current situation and the evolution of your relationship with your spouse (mentioning your residence abroad)? Yes
11. Has your case been "auto-expedited"? How long between NOA1 and NOA2? I guess so, 120 days. We had an RFE which set us back about a month. We were still processed faster than most who applied at the same time.

11-28-2010 - Married

USCIS:
03/14/2013 - I-130 Sent
03/18/2013 - NOA1

06/05/2013 RFE issued

06/25/2013 RFE recieved in mail

06/28/2013 RFE requested docs. sent to USCIS from abroad

07/08/2013 RFE entered into USCIS system as received and "RFE Review" status online

07/16/2013 NOA2 received by email

07/19/2013 Email from USCIS stating case file has been sent to NVC

07/27/2013 Hard copy of NOA2 recieved abroad (Vietnam) by mail

NVC:
08/02/2013 Received NVC case number via email

08/02/2013 Sent DS-3032 via emial

08/05/2013 Paid AOS ($88) fee

08/19/2013 DS-3032 accepted by NVC

08/26/2013 Paid IV ($230) fee

09/04/2013 Completed new DS-260 Online in place of the old (DS-230 paper form)

09/10/2013 I-864 Sent

10/04/2013 Check list

11/02/2013 Check list

12/14/2013 Case Complete

12/30/2013 Interview Scheduled for Feb 25 2014

US Consulate HCMC, Vietnam

02/25/2014 I-R1 Immigrant Visa interview (APPROVED!!)

03/06/2014 Visa delivered

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

1. Country USC resides in: Vietnam

3. When did you file the I-130: NOA1 March 18, 2013

4. How long had you been living abroad: Since 2009

5. Do you reside in the country legally? Yes, on a 5 year visa exempt for spouses

6. What is the reason for your residence: work permit/student/tourist - work/travel

9. Did you include evidence of your residence abroad in the I-130 package? No. Just put it as my address on the forms when asked for current address

11. Has your case been "auto-expedited"? How long between NOA1 and NOA2? I guess so, 120 days. We had an RFE which set us back about a month. We were still processed faster than most who applied at the same time.

congrat and thank you for posting! this gave me a hope. :)

• 2 weeks later...

1. Country USC resides in: The Netherlands
3. When did you file the I-130: 18 July 2013
4. How long had you been living abroad: 4 years
5. Do you reside in the country legally? Yes
6. What is the reason for your residence: Family Unification (EU spouse); also work for International Organization
9. Did you include evidence of your residence abroad in the I-130 package? Yes, I included our rental agreements as proof of relationship
10. Did you mention the fact you reside abroad in the cover letter or write a letter describing your current situation and the evolution of your relationship with your spouse (mentioning your residence abroad)? The cover letter listed our address, and I specifically mention that we live together in Europe where it asks for a U.S. address where beneficiary will live.
11. Has your case been "auto-expedited"? How long between NOA1 and NOA2? I don't know. I hope soon!

We Met in DC: 09 July 2008

Got Married in CT: 01 May 2009

Moved to Europe: 07 July 2009

DOMA Defeated: 26 June 2013

USCIS:

07/16/2013 - I-130 Sent via DHL

07/18/2013 - I-130 Received at Chicago Lockbox

07/20/2013 - NOA1

01/08/2014 - Transfer to CSC

02/11/2014 - NOA2: Approved!

NVC:

02/21/2014 - I-130 Received by NVC

03/28/2014 - AOS Invoice Paid

04/02/2014 - IV Invoice Paid

04/03/2014 - DS-260 Completed

04/10/2014 - AOS & IV Packages Received by NVC

04/30/2014 - Received I-864 Checklist

05/05/2014 - Revised I-864 Received by NVC

05/28/2014 - Case Complete!

Consular Processing:

xx/xx/2014 - Medical Exam

xx/xx/2014 - Visa Interview

xx/xx/2014 - Entry into U.S.

1. Country USC resides in: United Arab Emirates
3. When did you file the I-130: April 9th 2013
4. How long had you been living abroad: Since November 2012
5. Do you reside in the country legally? My husband was there with me while I was working - he had a visitor visa which he renewed by doing a border run
6. What is the reason for your residence: work permit/student/tourist/ Work - Accompanying me (his wife)
8. Did you send I-130 package from abroad? No - we sent it to his parents who sent it to us
9. Did you include evidence of your residence abroad in the I-130 package? Yes. We also wrote "filed from abroad" everywhere we could!
11. Has your case been "auto-expedited"? How long between NOA1 and NOA2? 99 days so it would seem so. Certainly quicker than other April filers

13/08/2011 - met in Nicaragua
27/12/2012 - Married in the UK and moved in together in Dubai

30/03/2013 - sent I-130 packet to Chicago lockbox
08/04/2013 - packet received

09/04/2013 - NOA1

16/07/2013 - NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.