GrayL

New Medical Requirement for AOS in 2012??

44 posts in this topic

Hi Fellow VJ'ers,

OK a couple of days ago I received the dreaded RFE notice for my AOS application.

I'm waiting eagerly to find out what the RFE is about, however I have a hunch that it's to do with the medical, as it's the only section I wasn't completely sure would be okay.

I only sent in copies of my completed DS-3025, not the I-693, so for the purpose of this thread I'm going to presume it's that.

I decided to get a head start, and book myself in for an I-693 appointment in Ronan, MT with the local Civil Surgeon.

I had a really good conversation with the, how can I say it, VERY friendly and VERY clued up nurse, who is one of the two at the facility whose sole job is to deal with VISA/USCIS medicals.

I explained my story to her, that I wasn't sure that's what the RFE is about, even though my gut is telling me it is, she was super helpful, and I've booked in for a medical on 3/17, but I'm more than able to cancel the booking if the RFE isn't about that.. better to be safe than sorry!

Now this is where it gets interesting :unsure:

She pretty much straight out told me that she thinks that IS what the RFE is about (she was extremely knowledgable about the lingo too which helped). She said that as part of her job she needs to keep up to date with the latest USCIS medical/vaccination requirements. And she tells me that as of '2012', the USCIS have changed the rules for AOS applicants, making it a rule that no matter when you got your overseas medical done, you are now REQUIRED TO GET ANOTHER MEDICAL done in the US as part of AOS. So if she is correct, it voids the rule that if you have your medical done within a year you don't have to get another one.

Further more she said that they've added a new vaccination to the requirements, the TDAP.

She did however say that the civil surgeon does not need to do the whole medical again, and can transpose anything from my K-1 medical onto the I-693, in her words she said, "From what I can see on your medical, it will only take 15 minutes to complete, we'll just need to fill in the form, have the additional shots and if it all comes back negative you're good to go". The cost for me is only $95.

So anyways, I wanted to post on here, again I'm still not 100% sure that my RFE is even about that, but I did want to pass on this information.

Maybe others are experiencing the same information, maybe I'm just getting led down the wrong path, it seems fitting as I got an RFE so soon after the application, and via the USCIS helpdesk all I have been told is the RFE is for 'initial evidence', so it's not 'additional evidence' which leads me to believe it's medical related.

Key words here from the nurse is she said, "As of 2012, the USCIS have changed their rules", so I wanted to share this information.

Have a great day now, very interested to see what others are experiencing. :thumbs: :thumbs:

GrayL

Edited by GrayL

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Further more she said that they've added a new vaccination to the requirements, the TDAP.

this vaccination was required in 2010 and 2011 as well. Its not new.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

this vaccination was required in 2010 and 2011 as well. Its not new.

Interesting, after your response I went back and double checked my DS-3025, sure enough TDAP is on there, in a row next to TD.

On my overseas medical DS-3025 form, 'TD' is ticked, not 'TDAP', and I was indeed given that shot at the time of my medical in June last year.

I wonder why I was only given the 'TD' shot and not the 'TDAP' shot?

I wonder what that's all about? I have no clue what any of it means either :bonk: :bonk:

Edited by GrayL

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Interesting, after your response I went back and double checked my DS-3025, sure enough TDAP is on there, in a row next to TD.

On my overseas medical DS-3025 form, 'TD' is ticked, not 'TDAP', and I was indeed given that shot at the time of my medical in June last year.

I wonder what that's all about? I have no clue what any of it means either :bonk: :bonk:

Its likely your country doesn't have the TDAP version of the vaccination just the TD. Not all countrys carry both. - In Canada you have to ask for TDAP and usually the doctors do not have it on hand and have to order it or you get it from a travel clinic.

oh and just so you know what they stand for = Tetanus-Diphtheria " TD " or. Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis " TDAP "

Edited by Inky

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Its likely your country doesn't have the TDAP version of the vaccination just the TD. Not all countrys carry both. - In Canada you have to ask for TDAP and usually the doctors do not have it on hand and have to order it or you get it from a travel clinic.

oh and just so you know what they stand for = Tetanus-Diphtheria " TD " or. Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis " TDAP "

Ahhh, that would make sense then, thanks for clarifying. In that case I likely misunderstood the nurse when she mentions that aspect of the new requirements.

Cheers,

GrayL

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi, I went to a civil surgeon yesterday (2/29/12) and we were told that my DS-3025 looked fine and the only vaccine I needed was the TD. The Civil Surgeon was polite and updated on everything required for K-1's Adjusting Status. In Hickory, North Carolina it's Dr.Allen Richard Edwards MD. ( 2850 tate Blvd SE) The price was $77.00 the office sealed the forms in a envelope reading DO NOT OPEN FOR USCIS USE ONLY - CONFIDENIAL. We received copies of the I-693 for our records. OP, you're most likely right about the RFE you received. Also the doctor ask if I had received a chest x ray in Egypt at the time of my medical exam, I said yes I did , he then told me that I wasn't required to have a TB Test here in the states since the x ray was taken. Thanks GrayL and good luck :)

Edited by tru_loves_journey

event.png

event.png

TD is the more common vaccination given to adults in Australia. It's a booster, as most children that go to school in Australia are given the combined Tetanus/Diptheria/Polio vaccination/serum as part of the school vaccination program.

Just curious - who gave you the TD shot? Was it the panel physician, or did you have it done by your GP?

Australia does have TDAP - I had it done April 2011 by my GP in readiness for the medical. I was told specifically by my panel physician's office to have the TDAP done - it is called 'Boostrix'. I told my GP that I need the TDAP/'Boostrix' vaccination and that's what they gave me. If it was done by your GP, they probably weren't aware of the visa vaccination requirements, and therefore may have just automatically given you the TD.

USCIS

30 Nov 2010 - Sent I-130 to Chicago

1 Dec 2010 - I-130 received at Chicago

18 Apr 2011 - APPROVED!! NOA2 text and email

NVC

29 Apr 2011 - Case entered into the system/Case number assigned; Medical Exam in Sydney

30 Apr 2011 - Police Check Application sent

2 May 2011 - Called NVC and got Invoice ID number

3 May 2011 - Sent DS-3032 email

4 May 2011 - Received email reply from NVC for DS-3032; Received Medical Exam results

5 May 2011 - AOS invoiced and paid

7 May 2011 - AOS package sent; IV invoiced and paid

9 May 2011 - AOS package delivered to NVC according to tracking

20 May 2011 - RFE for missing IV package....still waiting on Police Certificate!

24 May 2011 - Received Police Certificate after 25 days (so much for 7-10!); IV package sent

27 May 2011 - IV package delivered according to tracking

8 Jun 2011 - RFE for original marriage certificate; requested supervisor review since we KNOW it was in the package!

30 Jun 2011 - SIF and CC - FINALLY!!!!

13 Jul 2011 - Interview date assigned! Scheduled for August 9th @ 10am

9 Aug 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Aug 2011 - Visa in hand

24 Aug 2011 - POE @ LAX

I'm no expert on AOS since I did CR-1, but I did a quick search on USCIS and can't find anything about the requirement to have a new medical in the US regardless of any overseas medical that has been done.

USCIS updated its 'I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record' on January 3 2012 but the only 'new' thing I can see is that it says any medicals completed on or after January 1 2012 have to used the 10/11/11 version of the form or otherwise it will be rejected by USCIS.

The link to the I-693 instructions still basically says that overseas medicals are valid as long as you are filing for AOS within one year of the medical. It has a FAQ section that asks specifically about medical requirements for AOS applicants that entered on K1 visas - see here. (PS - the exp date on the instructions is 10/31/2012).

Like I said - I'm no expert on AOS, I'm just posting what I found. If I'm wrong - my apologies and someone please correct me!!

Edited by KLS2010

USCIS

NVC

29 Apr 2011 - Case entered into the system/Case number assigned; Medical Exam in Sydney

4 May 2011 - Received email reply from NVC for DS-3032; Received Medical Exam results

20 May 2011 - RFE for missing IV package....still waiting on Police Certificate!

24 May 2011 - Received Police Certificate after 25 days (so much for 7-10!); IV package sent

8 Jun 2011 - RFE for original marriage certificate; requested supervisor review since we KNOW it was in the package!

24 Aug 2011 - POE @ LAX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

She pretty much straight out told me that she thinks that IS what the RFE is about (she was extremely knowledgable about the lingo too which helped). She said that as part of her job she needs to keep up to date with the latest USCIS medical/vaccination requirements. And she tells me that as of '2012', the USCIS have changed the rules for AOS applicants, making it a rule that no matter when you got your overseas medical done, you are now REQUIRED TO GET ANOTHER MEDICAL done in the US as part of AOS. So if she is correct, it voids the rule that if you have your medical done within a year you don't have to get another one. No this isn't true. Unfortunately what IS true is they've changed the i-693 form so it LOOKS like they need to do a new medical (where the doctor has to sign BELOW a reference to your medical being done).

Further more she said that they've added a new vaccination to the requirements, the TDAP. Nope. Been a requirement at least since I was did my K1 in 2009

She did however say that the civil surgeon does not need to do the whole medical again, and can transpose anything from my K-1 medical onto the I-693, in her words she said, "From what I can see on your medical, it will only take 15 minutes to complete, we'll just need to fill in the form, have the additional shots and if it all comes back negative you're good to go". The cost for me is only $95. Well #######. No this isn't true either. She's trying to make you do a TB skin test (not required). They don't need to transpose anything from the K1 medical except the shots.

Maybe others are experiencing the same information, maybe I'm just getting led down the wrong path, it seems fitting as I got an RFE so soon after the application, and via the USCIS helpdesk all I have been told is the RFE is for 'initial evidence', so it's not 'additional evidence' which leads me to believe it's medical related. Actually this could be anything from you forgetting to include a document you didn't realise you forgot. Or sent only 2 passport photos. Or didn't sign a form correctly (happens more than you think)... SO many things it could be.

Responses in red above. This nurse doesn't know exactly what she's talking about. She's good that she knows these been updates but as is typical with a CS they look at this to find more ways to take your money.

Very interesting to read the replied, thanks guys :dance:

@KLS2010, I got my TD done by the panel physician at the time of my overseas K-1 medical, the medical itself was processing at the Sydney Consulate without issue, so I can only be left to assume that medical was correct.

Now I'm totally confused :unsure:

I do still have my original chest X-Rays done for TB, which the report showed I didn't have TB.

Hmm, now I'm not sure what to do, the nurse at the clinic was very helpful (and patient) and basically told me to book in the medical exam again ($95) and then wait for the RFE, if it IS regarding the medical then I can call her back and in her words, "We'll go into what you need to do more thoroughly", if it's nothing to do with the medical, then I'll just call and cancel the appointment, no harm done!

Very interesting, oh well I guess I can only wait a few more days until the RFE arrives! Oh and head to Helena in a week for my biometrics.. that will be fun, a 6 hour overnight round trip for a 15 minutes appointment.. fun fun fun :bonk: :bonk:

GrayL

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

I still don't understand why though if the TDAP was required for K-1 visa's why I didn't get it done last June when I did my medical with the panel physician, so weird!

Weird...

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I still don't understand why though if the TDAP was required for K-1 visa's why I didn't get it done last June when I did my medical with the panel physician, so weird!

Weird...

If you like you can send me a PM with your DS-3025 in it (personal info blocked out). I'll have a quick look to see if it looks anything like mine or whether I think it looks like something to get an RFE for.

The other thing is the I-693 wouldn't be "initial evidence".. or shouldn't be because you HAD a medical for the K1. So it's not technically missing. I think it's something else but only time will tell. Another idea would be for your to tell us everything you send and we can determine whether there's something you missed. It won't really prove anything but it gives you something to think about while you wait :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Weird...

You had the TD. Either TD or Tdap will do for AOS. Need at least one for MMR, one for Tdap or TD, varicella or a VH marked next to it, meaning you had the chickenpox already, and a flu shot is required if the medical is done between Oct. and Mar.

A new I-693 form came out back in Nov., and I knew it would cause confusion and make more civil surgeons insist that you have to get the whole medical over again. There is no new rule stating a K-1 must now get a new medical even if they had the medical done overseas within the last year. She is incorrect there. You can look at the instructions for the I-485 and I-693 directly from the USCIS website to see that this is just not true. You do not need new blood work or a new TB test done. You would only need to receive any missing vaccinations and have all your vaccinations transcribed onto the I-693 by the civil surgeon. If you had all the required vaccinations at the time of your medical exam, you would not even need to see a civil surgeon.

I would wait and see what your RFE says exactly. However, if worse comes to worse and you do need to see a civil surgeon, $95 is a better price than a lot of them quote when trying to overcharge someone for things they don't really need to do again.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

You had the TD. Either TD or Tdap will do for AOS. Need at least one for MMR, one for Tdap or TD, varicella or a VH marked next to it, meaning you had the chickenpox already, and a flu shot is required if the medical is done between Oct. and Mar.

Not true for Australia. October to March is the US flu season. Seasons are opposite in Australia.

Influenza vaccine is required during the influenza (flu) season in the country of examination.

USCIS

NVC

24 Aug 2011 - POE @ LAX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not true for Australia. October to March is the US flu season. Seasons are opposite in Australia.

Good catch. :thumbs: Wasn't thinking of that as I typed it.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.