09/12/08 Notice for BIO

10/01/08 BIO

02/04/09 RFE received

02/20/09 RFE mailed

03/03/09 APPROVED

03/16/09 NEW CARD RECEIVED

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

OK, well it seems that it's unanimous - to be transferred to CSC you have to have entered on a K visa. Oh well... looks like it's not gonna happen for an H1-B like me.

But thanks for all your responses, guys.

N-400

12/14/09 Mailed application to Lewisville, Texas

04/23/10 Sworn in. America's newest citizen!

I-130

04/26/10 Mailed parents' applications to Chicago

05/03/10 NOA 1 from CSC

10/05/10 I-130 approvals for both parents received

I was a k1 and my daughter k2 we have both been transferred to CSC.

My thoughts on the transfers, maybe it has something to do with the FBI name search? I know that my previous surname was not a common one, maybe making it a quicker process, just wondering if there were any smith or brown type names that got transferred.

I think about this process way too much. :whistle:

2-28-2009 Sent in I-751

3-14-2009 Received I-751 back because they can't read

3-16-2009 Re-Sent I-751

3-17-2009 Received by Vermont

Waiting and watching the calendar flip ever so over closer to 4-2-2009 (When my 2 yr GC expires) . . .

4-2-2009 Received I-751 back AGAIN! Oh and my GC expired today.

4-3-2009 Re-Sent I-751

4-4-2009 Received by Vermont

4-6-2009 Date of NOA-1 Extension Letter (Rec'd 4/13/09)

4-10-2009 Check Cashed

4-24-2009 Date of Biometrics letter (Rec'd 4/30/09)

5-11-2009 Biometrics Appointment in Louisville.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I entered on a K-1 and was transferred to California as well.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I was a k1 and my daughter k2 we have both been transferred to CSC.

My thoughts on the transfers, maybe it has something to do with the FBI name search? I know that my previous surname was not a common one, maybe making it a quicker process, just wondering if there were any smith or brown type names that got transferred.

I think about this process way too much. :whistle:

Ya I was wondering if it had to do with uncommon surnames as well meaning a speedy name check with FBI ... My last name is so uncommon that anyone with the same last name as me in North America is related to me ...

My husband entered on a K1 too.

I didn't relise that you guys get transfered to CSC as well ...

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Big Boss,

Read this thread.

Peter Miami

Johanna & Peter

Colombia / U.S.A.

I-129F / K-1 Fiancee Visa

08-20-02 - Met Johanna in Armenia, Colombia

10-05-05 - K-1 Sent to TSC

10-14-05 - Received NOA1 by E-Mail (Day 9)

12-22-05 - Reveived NOA2 By E-Mail & Mail (Day 78)

03-03-06 - Interview Date! (Day 149) Approved

03-10-06 - Johanna Arrived

05-27-06 - Married

I-485 / AOS (Did not applied for EAD or AP)

06-05-06 - Sent I-485 application to Chicago via USPS (Day 1)

06-06-06 - AOS Package Delivered at 12:29PM

06-12-06 - Received NOA1 by Mail

06-14-06 - Check Cashed

06-22-06 - Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

06-26-06 - "Request for Additional Evidence" Online, waiting for letter

06-29-06 - Biometrics Done!

06-30-06 - Received RFE Letter by mail. (Missing Birth Certificate)

07-10-06 - Sent RFE by Express Mail USPS

07-11-06 - RFE Delivered @ 10:54AM Sign by D. Atwell

08-28-06 - AOS Transferred to CSC E-mail & USCIS Website (Day 85)

08-30-06 - Touched #1

08-31-06 - Touched #2

08-31-06 - E-Mail from CRIS & USCIS-CSSO - CSC received AOS Application

09-01-06 - Touched #3

09-01-06 - NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

09-05-06 - Touched #4

09-07-06 - Touched #5

09-13-06 - Touched #6

09-15-06 - AOS Approved by Online Status & E-mail

09-21-06 - Received GC and Welcome Letter (Day 109)

My husband on a K-1.

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the FBI and everything to do with having already proved a bonafide relationship within the last few months on the K-1 visa. Essentially, it'd make perfect sense that if you've already provided enough evidence to get into the country on a K visa, a second interview would be overkill, and since the majority of K visas transfered are those who adjusted fairly quickly and are usually (though not always) from "low risk" countries, it makes sense.

Also, someone mentioned in another thread that K visas used to not have to interview afterwards, that a marriage certificate used to be all the proof needed for a k-1 to AOS, as you'd previously proven all the points of the usual AOS interview. Transferring all of these fairly straightforward cases to CSC is the closest equivilant of said system.

Common sense, really. I know it's rare to see something that seems to have such a straight-forward answer when dealing with the government, but that seems to be the explanation.

Timeline of David's Petition to Remove Conditions:

08-01-2009 I-751 Mailed to VSC

09-01-2009 I-751 received at VSC

12-01-2009 Notice of Action/Receipt received

22-01-2009 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

06-02-2009 Biometrics Appointment in Newark, NJ

05-06-2009 Received notice that removal of conditions has been approved!

David's K1 Timeline Available here

David's AOS Timeline Available here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

M.,

What you described make sense. I wonder though, why would they not transfer K-3s. They already have marriage certificates and have been interviewed and scrutinized just like K-1 applicants.

My husband on a K-1.

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the FBI and everything to do with having already proved a bonafide relationship within the last few months on the K-1 visa. Essentially, it'd make perfect sense that if you've already provided enough evidence to get into the country on a K visa, a second interview would be overkill, and since the majority of K visas transfered are those who adjusted fairly quickly and are usually (though not always) from "low risk" countries, it makes sense.

Also, someone mentioned in another thread that K visas used to not have to interview afterwards, that a marriage certificate used to be all the proof needed for a k-1 to AOS, as you'd previously proven all the points of the usual AOS interview. Transferring all of these fairly straightforward cases to CSC is the closest equivilant of said system.

Common sense, really. I know it's rare to see something that seems to have such a straight-forward answer when dealing with the government, but that seems to be the explanation.

K3, AOS

01-19-06 - Mailed I-129F to NBC

04-28-06 - Arrived in Los Angeles

12-11-06 - AOS Interview at Santa Ana, CA - Approved

12-22-06 - Received Green Card in the mail

Removing Conditions

09-15-08 - CSC received I-751

01-06-09 - Received Green Card in the mail

Citizenship

10-05-09 - Mailed N-400 to Phoenix

11-04-09 - Biometrics

01-12-10 - Interview at Santa Ana, CA - Approved

02-19-10 - Oath ceremony at Pomona, CA

03-11-10 - Received passport

This is just totally speculation and not based on anything, but I suppose because a K-1 interview proves the valid relationship but there's a hoop you must jump through (marriage) which a marriage certificate shows you've done, to adjust status. I don't know enough about K-3s to know what is required of the applicant after entry to adjust status.

Basically, my thought is:

K-1 interview proves relationship and shows intent;

Marriage is follow-through of intent;

Marriage certificate shows follow-through of intent

I also assume, based only on basic logic and no proof (which means it's prbly wrong, since this is the US federal government we're dealing with here. ;) ) that that the reason K-2s tend to end up at CSC is because they don't need to prove a relationship as they're related by blood to the other applicant.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
because a K-1 interview proves the valid relationship but there's a hoop you must jump through (marriage) which a marriage certificate shows you've done, to adjust status. I don't know enough about K-3s to know what is required of the applicant after entry to adjust status.

But the K-3 people have a marriage certificate as well....they just got married BEFORE immigrating, instead of after, like the K-1 people. But the rest of the process is really similar, isn't it?

Adjusting status is also pretty much the same for K-1s and K-3s:

K-1 = you get your visa, you immigrate, you marry and apply for AOS,

K3 = you marry, you get your visa, you immigrate, and apply for AOS.

So I don't think that's the reason..... :huh:

Anyway, who says USCIS has to have a reason for doing something? I am still subscribing to the "roll the dice"-theory :D

AOS timeline:

03/17/06 filed for AOS

03/28-06 touched

04/04/06 biometrics

04/05/06 touched

05/23/06 transfered to CSC

06/17/06 touched

08/16/06 touched

11/20/06 USCIS cust.service started inquiry about case (because it's outside of processing times)

11/30/06 approval e-mail

12/07/06 Greencard in the mail (= 8 months and 21 days for the entire AOS process)

.png

.png

Timeline

May be it is just roll of the dice but I think there probabaly are some sort of written or unwritten rules for picking cases for transfer to CSC. Everyone responding here is a K-1 visa holder and none with K-3. So that seems to be one rule.

If so, why would they think that somehow coming to US with the intention of getting married and then following through with it makes the relationship more bona fide than being already married before starting the visa process is beyond me.

Besides being on K-1 visa there may be other criteria – beneficiary’s country of origin, ages of the petitioner and the beneficiary, whether the petitioner is a born or naturalized USC, country of birth of the foreign born USC petitioner, gender of the beneficiary etc.

O what the heck… they are the government; they don’t have to make sense.

because a K-1 interview proves the valid relationship but there's a hoop you must jump through (marriage) which a marriage certificate shows you've done, to adjust status. I don't know enough about K-3s to know what is required of the applicant after entry to adjust status.

But the K-3 people have a marriage certificate as well....they just got married BEFORE immigrating, instead of after, like the K-1 people. But the rest of the process is really similar, isn't it?

Adjusting status is also pretty much the same for K-1s and K-3s:

K-1 = you get your visa, you immigrate, you marry and apply for AOS,

K3 = you marry, you get your visa, you immigrate, and apply for AOS.

So I don't think that's the reason..... :huh:

Anyway, who says USCIS has to have a reason for doing something? I am still subscribing to the "roll the dice"-theory :D

K3, AOS

Removing Conditions

Citizenship

11-04-09 - Biometrics

But the K-3 people have a marriage certificate as well....they just got married BEFORE immigrating, instead of after, like the K-1 people.

That's EXACTLY my point!

With K-1 you interview with the INTENTION of getting married. The K-1 visa is, let's say, a contract with the US government (not exactly, but you get the idea) that says: "If you give me this visa, I'll fullfill my side by getting married to this person. I can prove that I have fulfilled this action with a piece of paper that I'll show you AFTER having fulfilled my side of the bargain."

They give you the visa on the grounds that you'll provide proof you've "completed the transaction" or "fulfilled the contract" as it were.

With a K-3, they already have the marriage certificate BEFORE their visa interview. There's no "action" taken other than moving to the US and adjusting status, no further "movement" to validate the relationship, and no *intention* that can be validated other than with joint accounts, comingled assets, etc. which take time to build up.

This would be why they'd need to process AOS more slowly -- to allow for more time to build up proof of the relationship AFTER the marriage certificate, and why an interview would be necessary, because there's no one document (like a marriage certificate) that shows a continuation of the relationship AFTER entry into the US.

Did that clarify what I was saying about why k-1 but not k-3?

Timeline

If it is true and it is what USCIS goes by, it seems to mean that if you entered US as spouse of a USC you must show proof that you are in fact married and living with your spouse and if you came with the intention of getting married just show USCIS a marriage certificate and they trust you to be living with your spouse.

The real reason why some K1s get status adjusted without an interview and not K3s may be that USCIS does not trust a marriage certificate issued in a foreign country.

But the K-3 people have a marriage certificate as well....they just got married BEFORE immigrating, instead of after, like the K-1 people.

That's EXACTLY my point!

With K-1 you interview with the INTENTION of getting married. The K-1 visa is, let's say, a contract with the US government (not exactly, but you get the idea) that says: "If you give me this visa, I'll fullfill my side by getting married to this person. I can prove that I have fulfilled this action with a piece of paper that I'll show you AFTER having fulfilled my side of the bargain."

They give you the visa on the grounds that you'll provide proof you've "completed the transaction" or "fulfilled the contract" as it were.

With a K-3, they already have the marriage certificate BEFORE their visa interview. There's no "action" taken other than moving to the US and adjusting status, no further "movement" to validate the relationship, and no *intention* that can be validated other than with joint accounts, comingled assets, etc. which take time to build up.

This would be why they'd need to process AOS more slowly -- to allow for more time to build up proof of the relationship AFTER the marriage certificate, and why an interview would be necessary, because there's no one document (like a marriage certificate) that shows a continuation of the relationship AFTER entry into the US.

Did that clarify what I was saying about why k-1 but not k-3?

K3, AOS

Removing Conditions

Citizenship

11-04-09 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.