Gary and Alla

Sergey goes for Rice University!

75 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

He had been applying for several schools and had been accepted to some but was holding out for this one. I guess the program is exactly what he wants and the close proximity and lots of funding from NASA are encouraging him. He is also impressed with the professors there. Good enough for me. He will also have an assistant teaching position. Babushka and Alla were both in tears of joy yesterday :dance: Babushka, a retired Soviet District engineer will have a grandson with a Doctor of Physics from the shadow of NASA! I am having to reassure her though as she has "Heard terrible things about Texas" :lol: She watches too many movies dubbed in Russian. He will start classes there this fall!

THIS is what we work for. I keep reading the letter over and over!

He received a generous stipend, full paid tuition, assistant teaching position, medical insurance subsidy.

He will be joining TBone in Houston! I am more of a West Texas kind of guy but he will like Houston also, particularly the winters compared to Moscow! :lol: Alla is pleased he will be in the US and it will be easier and cheaper to visit him. Had he gone to Dartmouth he would have been close enough to do his laundry on weekends, probably better he is in Texas. :lol: I predict some future vacation to Galveston.

Now he has the issue with Dasha to address. No doubt she is applying to some univeristy in Houston right now (if she has not already) and will be trying to get a student visa. Babushka will probably want her CR-5 now so she can walk him to school.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Rice is a damn fine university, congrats to Sergey!

Even though I am a UT alum I had to admit that also. :blush:

HOOK 'EM ...OWLS. OWLS???????? #######????? They still haven't changed that? :lol:

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

HOOK 'EM ...OWLS. OWLS???????? #######????? They still haven't changed that? :lol:

:lol:

congrats

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

congrats

Alla is talking to him on Skype right now and I showed him my order for a Rice Sweatshirt and a "Rice Mom" coffee mug for Alla. I told him "You know the name of their teams is "Owls"...

:unsure: Owls? The bird, Owls?

Yes.

:unsure: Why? Are Owls something to do with Texas?

No, but they are supposed to be wise.

:unsure: Birds? Owls?

Yes.

:unsure: Well, I guess it is OK then.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

congrats

They could at least be "Horned Owls" :lol: Not only that but the effin' owl mascot looks like it belongs in a library advertisement...or a "Give a hoot, don't pollute" ad. If it looked like death swooping in from the night sky with sharp talons outstreched about to gouge the eyes out of a cute furry animal ...OH YEAH!.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Alla is talking to him on Skype right now and I showed him my order for a Rice Sweatshirt and a "Rice Mom" coffee mug for Alla. I told him "You know the name of their teams is "Owls"...

:unsure: Owls? The bird, Owls?

Yes.

:unsure: Why? Are Owls something to do with Texas?

No, but they are supposed to be wise.

:unsure: Birds? Owls?

Yes.

:unsure: Well, I guess it is OK then.

I am a U of H grad. Rice is a fantastic university. Most people try and fail to get an offer from there. They are smaller and have to severely limit their enrollment. I asked my Nephew to try for that school and he is doing all the right things to be able to.

Again my congrats to all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Gary this is great news. And to get a full tuition and a teaching job as well. WOW! Congrats to you and Alla. So when you have 3 feet of snow, head south for a visit. :thumbs:

Timeline

Gary this is great news. And to get a full tuition and a teaching job as well. WOW! Congrats to you and Alla. So when you have 3 feet of snow, head south for a visit. :thumbs:

Oh yeah! I am thinking Spring Break in South Padre! D'ya think Sergey would mind if I tag along? :lol:

Gary And Alla

Oh yeah! I am thinking Spring Break in South Padre! D'ya think Sergey would mind if I tag along? :lol:

I don't think he would mind as long as you are doing the buying. Of course, Alla would be sure to show up and have all those young guys wondering how she could look that good and not be 20 something. :rofl:

But still, that is great for Sergey. :dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.