05/01/2013 - ROC - APPROVED

05/06/2013 - Green Cards Arrived

Citizenship:

08/31/2013 - N-400 sent

09/04/2013 - NOA1

09/27/2013 - Biometrics

10/08/2013 - In-Line

11/13/2013 - Interview

12/13/2013 - Oath -- Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Congratulations to Sergey!

as mentioned Rice is an outstanding school. I worked with a lot of scientist from Rice the years I was in Huntsville AL, They all seemed to be pretty well rounded and competent folks.

All the best to all of you!

Congrats to Sergey on admission to my alma mater! I was back a couple years ago and barely recognized the place, but it still has those beautiful live oaks and collegiate architecture. And the faculty remains top-notch -- I'm sure he'll have as great an experience there as I did: Beer-bike, Club XIII, Gazilchers and Valhalla forever!

Our timeline:

01/11/12 - Submitted I-130s to Moscow USCIS in person

01/12/12 - Had interview with Moscow USCIS officer to establish bonafide marriage

01/12/12 - I-130s approved and passed to US Consulate

01/13/12 - IV Unit in Moscow received approved petition

01/23/12 - We received confirmation that I-130s were approved by USCIS

01/24/12 - We received package notification from post office

01/26/12 - Picked up "package" - notifications from IV Unit with case numbers

01/26/12 - Set interview date online

02/01/12 - Passed medical exams

02/02/12 - Received police record

02/09/12 - Interview... APPROVED!

02/13/12 - Visa delivered

02/23/12 - POE Chicago

Way to go, Sergey!

I've been watching the Big Bang Theory lately and I can only imagine what his post-grad process is going to be like.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 2 weeks later...

I am a U of H grad. Rice is a fantastic university. Most people try and fail to get an offer from there. They are smaller and have to severely limit their enrollment. I asked my Nephew to try for that school and he is doing all the right things to be able to.

Again my congrats to all.

Congrats to Sergey,

Well at least Rice has a good baseball team. :-) I just moved back to Houston from Austin. Glad to be back in the big city. :-) He'll be in good hands over here Gary, no worries. :-)

Edited by Codeblue009

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We are very glad that Sergey has been so fortunate to receive other offers, most recently LSU offered him a "better deal" with a higher stipend but after much discussion he has stayed with Rice and we are very glad he did. The temptation was that his girlfriend/fiancee whatever is going to remain behind in Russia and he will bring her here when he is a citizen but the higher stipend would have meant he could more easliy pay for a couple visits ro Russia, a tempting offer for a young man in love, no doubt. After a lot of consideration he decided that the possibility of future benefits outweighed a few trips to Russia.

As a native Texican I try not to be biased :innocent: but Rice is a damn good school and I wish I had ever had the ability to go there, it was neither a financial or academic possibility for me.

But I did have to remind Sergey of the fact that students that flunk out of Texas A&M can go to LSU and raise the GPA of BOTH schools! :lol:

LSU has a better football team and a cooler name...TIGERS!!!!!!!!

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Congrats! but why a Texas school? :(

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

He applied to many schools, 10 actually. He got accepted at Dartmouth first, full tuition but no stipend no job offer. He then got the offer from Rice, an excellent university, then from University of Colorado and then from LSU. He got 6 "thanks but no thanks" letters from various other places. So it was not like we set out to get him to go to Texas. I just think of the offers he got that Rice was by far the best, not in amount of money but in quality of education. Alla and I pressured him to go for Rice, I am not going to say otherwise, but ultimately he could have chosen LSU and then what can we do? He is going to be 21 now and we are no longer paying the piper after he takes one of these offers, he will have his own apartment, a job paying quite well and his studies.

3 down, one more to go. :yes:

Gary And Alla

Timeline

He applied to many schools, 10 actually. He got accepted at Dartmouth first, full tuition but no stipend no job offer. He then got the offer from Rice, an excellent university, then from University of Colorado and then from LSU. He got 6 "thanks but no thanks" letters from various other places. So it was not like we set out to get him to go to Texas. I just think of the offers he got that Rice was by far the best, not in amount of money but in quality of education. Alla and I pressured him to go for Rice, I am not going to say otherwise, but ultimately he could have chosen LSU and then what can we do? He is going to be 21 now and we are no longer paying the piper after he takes one of these offers, he will have his own apartment, a job paying quite well and his studies.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Wow, you know that as a Russian speaking STEM major his opportunities will be pretty much endless? If he's interested in study abroad or working for the fed, let me know, I know of many scholarships he's pretty much guaranteed. Congrats on both you and Alla for raising such a successful son!

Edited by AmyWrites

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_University

In 2011 Rice was ranked 17th among national universities by U.S. News and World Report.[7]

Not bad. B-)

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

Not bad. B-)

Not sure about overall nationally but for Physcis and Math on a ranking Sergey found, they were rated number 7, LSU was number 83. I KNOW people pay attention when you have such a degree from Rice.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Wow, you know that as a Russian speaking STEM major his opportunities will be pretty much endless? If he's interested in study abroad or working for the fed, let me know, I know of many scholarships he's pretty much guaranteed. Congrats on both you and Alla for raising such a successful son!

I give the credit to Alla's Mom, a fomrer Soviet District Civil Engineer. She was tutoring Sergey in math since before he could go to school. I also give him a lot of credit for sticking to it and making long range decisions, nit whatever is most fun for today.

I am encouraging him toard some sort of government work. If you know of any other scholariships that would be great. He has tuition, stipend and a job paying a small salary but anything else would be great! The school sent him soem addl info also.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Not sure about overall nationally but for Physcis and Math on a ranking Sergey found, they were rated number 7, LSU was number 83. I KNOW people pay attention when you have such a degree from Rice.
Rice is extremely well-regarded and even more underrated, si man.

My parents and several aunts & uncles all got at least their undergrad degrees from Rice, back when it was the "Rice Institute," si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Rice is extremely well-regarded and even more underrated, si man.

My parents and several aunts & uncles all got at least their undergrad degrees from Rice, back when it was the "Rice Institute," si man.

I knew only ONE classmate that made it into Rice and I was shocked (and envious) I lost touch with him but I figure he did pretty well. My parents had 8 kids and not a lot of money (because they had 8 kids!) so while they encouraged us to go to college (6 of 8 did) they could offer no money. I was fortunate to get a job that paid my tuition for work related degree programs and went for engineering. So I worked full time and went to school and it sucked, it was very difficult. I believe in the important of education and I wanted to make sure my kids COULD go and that they did not HAVE to work full time while doing it. It is the major thing Alla and I agree on.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.