110 posts in this topic

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ok, now for a sweet recipe.

Before I start I must say, it will look weird (not a pretty cake, but so yummy nobody cares).

No milk Banana Cake

- 1 dozen of very ripe bananas (in Brasil this kind we call water banananas, bananas d´água, for the brazilians out there). Peel the bananas and slice them long (one banana makes 3 slices).

- 2 cups of flour.

- 1 and 1/2 cup of sugar.

- 1 tablespoon baking powder.

- a handful of cinnamon (powder)

- 1 pinch of salt.

- A little bit of margerine

Of, SUPER easy. Get a bowl, mix all the ingredients EXCEPT the bananas and margerine.

Now prepare a baking pot (the best kinds are the ones with a hole in the middle) with margerine and flour spread on the bottom and sides, I think that spray stuff works as well. Now make a layer of the powder you just mixed, and then place of layer of bananas. Repeat that till you have no bananas left. Finish with the powder and put little bits of butter on top (tiny pieces to help wet the cake).

Bake in medium oven for about 40 min. The banana will cook and moist the entire cake.

Like I said, it doesn´t come out PRETTY, as the bananas and powder mixture tend to turn this greyish brown, but it´s sooooooooooo yummy!

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline

BUMP! ( I want to see more recipes, preparing my cookbook to have easy, diff recipes to make our meals not boring).

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

DUMP CAKE (Only a Southerner would come up with a name like that)

1 stick of butter (margarine, whatever)

1 large can of cherry pie filling

1 small can of pineapple chunks (or if you prefer, use rings- but crushed doesn't do well)

1 box of dry yellow cake mix (do not prepare according to box directions)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Any size/shape or pan will do (although I prefer a traditional rectangular cake pan), greasing the pan is not necessary. Just keep in mind, a deep casserole-type pan will need to cook longer than a shallower cake-type pan. Combine cherry pie filling and pineapple in pan and stir it a bit. Evenly spread the dry yellow cake mix over the fruit mixture. Slice butter pats evenly over dry cake mix (note that if you are using a deep pan you might want to toss a couple of butter pats inside the layer of cake mix so the butter goes all the way through). Stick the whole mess in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until it turns a lovely golden brown on top. The cooking time will vary, depending on the size of pan you use (shallower pan = less cooking time) and how temperamental your oven is. I have found that this is an excellent "second day food" and is best served warm.

Timeline

Will give it a try when I can, even though I shouldn't. :P

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Easy peasy brown bread with no kneading!!

Turn oven onto 400 F to heat up

In a bowl mix:

1 cup of whole wheat flour

1 cup of all purpose flour

1/2 cup of rolled oats (I use the Mc Canns brand)

Some bran flour...I guess about 1 tbsp

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1tbsp regualar sugar...more if you want it sweeter!

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon of salt

I also throw in about 1tbsp of unshelled sesame seeds (You can get these in whole food markets, along with the bran)

Mix these together

Add 1 and 1/2 cups of buttermilk and mix into the ingredients.

Grease a bread pan with butter and spoon in the ingredients

Bake for about 45 minutes

Let it cool on a wire rack and cover with a tea towel

And this is delish on it's own with just butter or with soups or stews...or however you choose to eat brown bread. It keeps for about 2 days. Enjoy :)

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Greek Chicken and Potatoes!!!! THis recipe is faboulous! Everytime I make it, people lick their plates clean.

1 5-6lb whole cut up chicken (Skin ON!!!)

6 Potatoes (brown russet)

4 Lemons juiced (real lemons!)

1 Lemon cut into slices

Fresh Oregano

Dried Oregano

Salt

Pepper

1/4 cup Olive Oil

2 TBSP Butter

**Preheat oven to 375 degrees (bake)

1. Wash chicken under water with salt. Make sure you wash all the salt off!

2. In a medium size bowl, combine lemon juice, 2 TBSP dried oregano, 1TBSP salt, 1/2 tsp of black pepper and mix it together.

3. Dip each piece of chicken in the lemon mixture and coat well, one finished place the chicken in a baking dish (make sure its a big one, you don't want to crowd the chicken and potatoes or they won't brown) Repeat with all the chicken pieces.

4. Peel the potatoes and cut in quarters and arrange them around the chicken.

5. Pour the remaining lemon juice over the potatoes.

6. Pour the olive oil all over the chicken and potatoes.

7. Break the butter up into really small pieces and put a small piece on each piece of chicken.

8. Sprinkle entire dish with Salt, Peper, and Dried Oregano once more.

9. Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

10. After cooking for 45 min, add 1/2 cup hot water bake for another 15 min. (Keep it covered with foil and done pour the water on the chicken or potatoes, just into the dish.

10. Remove foil and bake until golden brown and crispy. (about 30 min)

Remove chicken and potatoes from baking dish and arrange onto a platter. Garnish wih fresh oregano and lemon slices.

Take the baking juice from the pan and strain it into a bowl or gravy boat, serve on the side of the chicken. Its good for dipping :yes:

Bon appetit!

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Greek Chicken and Potatoes!!!! THis recipe is faboulous! Everytime I make it, people lick their plates clean.

1 5-6lb whole cut up chicken (Skin ON!!!)

6 Potatoes (brown russet)

4 Lemons juiced (real lemons!)

1 Lemon cut into slices

Fresh Oregano

Dried Oregano

Salt

Pepper

1/4 cup Olive Oil

2 TBSP Butter

**Preheat oven to 375 degrees (bake)

1. Wash chicken under water with salt. Make sure you wash all the salt off!

2. In a medium size bowl, combine lemon juice, 2 TBSP dried oregano, 1TBSP salt, 1/2 tsp of black pepper and mix it together.

3. Dip each piece of chicken in the lemon mixture and coat well, one finished place the chicken in a baking dish (make sure its a big one, you don't want to crowd the chicken and potatoes or they won't brown) Repeat with all the chicken pieces.

4. Peel the potatoes and cut in quarters and arrange them around the chicken.

5. Pour the remaining lemon juice over the potatoes.

6. Pour the olive oil all over the chicken and potatoes.

7. Break the butter up into really small pieces and put a small piece on each piece of chicken.

8. Sprinkle entire dish with Salt, Peper, and Dried Oregano once more.

9. Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

10. After cooking for 45 min, add 1/2 cup hot water bake for another 15 min. (Keep it covered with foil and done pour the water on the chicken or potatoes, just into the dish.

10. Remove foil and bake until golden brown and crispy. (about 30 min)

Remove chicken and potatoes from baking dish and arrange onto a platter. Garnish wih fresh oregano and lemon slices.

Take the baking juice from the pan and strain it into a bowl or gravy boat, serve on the side of the chicken. Its good for dipping :yes:

Bon appetit!

Yum, this sounds like the recipe for chicken/potatoes that the Greek restaurant downtown used to serve (well, maybe they still do but i don't work downtown now) . . . everyone used to say "they put lemon on everything"!!! :lol::hehe:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

That looks delish!! I'm saving that one...love the taste of lemon in food!!

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I made this soup last week... it was soooo yummy :thumbs:

Chicken Tortilla Soup

INGREDIENTS:

6 tablespoons vegetable oil

6 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro ( I used about 1 tbsp dried cilantro)

1 onion, chopped

1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes

2 tablespoons ground cumin

1 tablespoon chili powder

3 bay leaves

6 cups chicken broth **

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup uncooked rice

1 can corn, drained

1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

3 or 4 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked

4 (6 inch) corn tortillas, baked and cut into strips

Grated cheese, optional

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large stock pot heat oil. Add garlic, cilantro and onion. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.

2. Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves and chicken stock. Return to a boil, reduce heat to medium and add salt, cayenne pepper, rice and corn. Simmer for 30 minutes remove bay leaves and stir in chicken. Heat through and serve with strips of the corn tortillas and grated cheese if you like.

* I halved this recipe and it made plenty for hubby and I with some leftovers... the orignal recipe said too chop up the tortillas and saute them with the onions... I did chop up one with the onions but that with the rice made it a little thick....

** I make my own chicken broth by boiling chicken in some water with some spices... I find it tastes alot better then using canned chicken broth in the soup

I am making this again today... I make it every couple of weeks... it is sooo yummy :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Shonnies own plastic nachos..

1. bag of doritos

1 . can of squirt cheese < sharp cheddar or get fancy get the montery jack >

step 1 .. place doritos in a mircowave proof bowl < ceral bowl is fine >

step2.. squirt all the cheese on the doritos. and a few squirts in your mouth is accceptable.

step3 ... place in microwave for a few seconds til you see the cheese look like its melting

< may take 2 mins if its the generic - krogy krog brand >

step4. garnish with some jalapinos and eat up..

shon.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

this is a really good recipe for cole slaw... I got it from AllRecipes...

Restaurant-Style Coleslaw

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 (16 ounce) package coleslaw mix

* 2 tablespoons minced onion

* 1/3 cup white sugar

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

* 1/4 cup milk

* 1/2 cup mayonnaise

* 1/4 cup buttermilk

* 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

* 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

DIRECTIONS:

1. Combine the coleslaw and onion in a large bowl.

2. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, lemon juice and mix until smooth. Pour over the coleslaw and onion mixture, stir well and chill for 1 hour.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I just made this awesome recipe today... It is for Beef Stroganoff... I have a recipe and this one is very similar but this one is soooo yummy!!! I got it from AllRecipes...

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 pound cubed beef stew meat

* 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup (I used just plain old cream of mushroom soup)

* 1/2 cup chopped onion

* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

* 1/4 cup water

* 1 or 2 tsps of soy sauce (this wasn't in the recipe but I added it)

* 1/2 to 1 garlic clove, chopped (this also wasn't in the recipe but I added it)

* 4 ounces cream cheese

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a slow cooker, combine the meat, soup, onion, Worcestershire sauce and water.

2. Cook on Low setting for 8 hours, or on High setting for about 5 hours. Stir in cream cheese just before serving. It might be kind of runny but once you add the cream cheese it thickens up a bit ...

*you might want to double the recipe :thumbs: YUM!!! YUM!!!!

Here is my recipe for Beef Stroganoff. Always goes down well and is pretty quick and easy. Do the whole thing in a skillet/pan.

675g/1½ lb beef fillet, preferably cut from the tail end

65g/2½oz unsalted butter

1½ tbsp paprika (hot Hungarian, if you like a little subtle heat)

1 large onion, very thinly sliced

350g/12oz button mushrooms, thinly sliced

3 tbsp sunflower oil

300ml/10fl oz soured cream

2 tsp lemon juice

small handful of parsley leaves, finely chopped

salt

freshly ground black pepper

Thinly chop the onions and fry them with the butter and paprika until they are softened but not browned (approx 2 mins). Thinly slice the mushrooms and add to the onions, cook for a further 3 minutes or so. Remove this mixture from the pan and keep it warm in an oven. Cut up the steak to the desired size and fry in the oil, seasoning as you do so. Now add the onion/mushroom/paprika mix to the meat, add the sour cream, lemon juice and parsley and cook for another couple of minutes. I like to serve them with matchstick thin fries, just peel and chop em really thin (literally matchstick thickness) soak em in cold water, then dry em off and fry em. Delicious. Its a great date meal, quick and easy..at this rate I will soon need it again!!

Randomly matched up by a computer as penpals at eleven years old in French Language class (1988)

Letters/Emails/Phonecalls continue for the next 16 years.

Kerri Visits England for a month 25/05/04

We get engaged following a wonderful weekend trip to Brussels as a birthday treat for Kerri.

K1 Petition Received by Nebraska 17/07/04

[10/01/05 Interview in London. Success - K1 Visa Aproved!

28/01/05 Kerri & I get married!!

20/04/05 Mail out AOS & EAD forms 1 day before due!!

07/07/05 EAD Received but returned for incorrect DOB!!

31/08/05 Hurricane Katrina Rolls into New Orleans, we pack up and evacuate to Cordova TNcolor]

25/11/05 Corrected EAD finally received after being mailed to New Orleans the day after Katrina

20/12/05 AOS Approved without interview after transfer to California.

28/04/06 I head back to England for 3 to 4 months whilst my wife completes a training shcool.

07/05/05 Things are looking up!! I get a well paid job. Ive started my driving lessons1

29/05/06 My Wife tells me she is not ready to be married and wants a divorce.

18/06/05 My wife officially starts divorce proceedings.

Oh I am SO trying that tortilla soup recipe! Hubby and I had it for the first time at Cracker Barrel a few months ago and we thought we had died and gone to heaven. I'm so excited to try it now! :thumbs:

24vs7qp.jpg

21ch82r.gif

"In our attempt to make everybody happy, we make nobody happy. And we lose elections." - Democratic activist Janice Griffin