smur

Food stamp and sponsor

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am new here.I found this forum very helpful.My friend has a problem.Her mother came here on visit visa.Now she want to adjustment of status but my friend doesn't work .Her husband is doing part time job.They can't afford their expenses so applied for food stamp benefit . Now question is that whether she sponsor her mother or not ? Can her daughter or son cosponsor for her or not?

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

You can't just come here and overstay your visitor's visa and decide to stay. Also, to sponsor someone you have to meet the income requirements which I doubt they do considering they qualify for food stamps.

Edited by Betsy El Sum

Betsy El Sum

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from AOS from Family to AOS from Work, Tourist... as OP's mother came on a tourist visa ***

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Food stamps are not to be considered when determining public charge. If the USC husband doesn't have enough income, then there is no problem using a family member as a joint sponsor. As long as the wife entered the US legally, they can file a petition for immediate/close relative and adjust status at the same time.

THANX FOR YOUR REPLY ,BUT WHAT ABOUT FOOD STAMP AND CO SPONSOR .EVEN THOUGH HER DAUGHTER'S INCOME MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS .

Joint sponsor, not co-sponsor.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Your 'friend's' mother needs to return to her home country and her daughter needs to petition for her the correct way. Which if I'm not mistaken is when she becomes a US citizen. If she has a visitor visa then she's been to the embassy, done lots of paper work etc etc etc and I'm sure she was told what the visa means and she's clearly violated that.

You said in your first post the daughter doesn't work, then in your second that her income meets the requirements, well which one is it?? or am I reading wrong??

You said in your first post the daughter doesn't work, then in your second that her income meets the requirements, well which one is it?? or am I reading wrong??

Now I am confused too. Too many pronouns. We need a list of who is who.

If the mother is seeking to adjust based on the daughter being a USC, that may be difficult, and there are overstay issues to be considered. The sponsor part should not be an issue, as long as they find someone willing with sufficient income, hopefully a relative.

Now I am confused too. Too many pronouns. We need a list of who is who.

If the mother is seeking to adjust based on the daughter being a USC, that may be difficult, and there are overstay issues to be considered. The sponsor part should not be an issue, as long as they find someone willing with sufficient income, hopefully a relative.

I mean my friend doesn't work ,but her daughter used to work at a bank and earn enough money .

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

So just to check --

- there is your friend, the daughter

- your friend has a daughter who USED to work in a bank

these two are both legal permanent residents??

- then we have your friends mother, here on a tourist visa, who is the bank workers Grandmother??

If this is wrong I apologize I'm just trying to understand who everyone is. And if I'm wrong then bits of what I say below may not make sense but I'm going on what I've interpreted as being correct.

So you're saying she 'used' to work in a back and she does not work there anymore?? If this is the case then no she doesn't meet the requirement to co-sponsor because she no longer has an income.

I don't know where your friend is from so I don't know how their culture works, but if they as a family are struggling, your friend doesn't work, the husband only part time and they have food stamps then I personally think its very selfish that she wants to stay with them and add another mouth to the house hold - I know my mother wouldn't dream of doing that.

As I said in my previous post the mother needs to return home and have her daughter petition for her the correct way --- if she was granted a tourist visa then surely she has something to return home to other wise it wouldn't have been granted.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

You can't just come here and overstay your visitor's visa and decide to stay. Also, to sponsor someone you have to meet the income requirements which I doubt they do considering they qualify for food stamps.

The OP didn't say anything about overstay. Regardless, if a parent comes here on a visitors visa, the USC child can file an I-130 immigrant petition for them, and they can file the I-485 concurrently to adjust status. That's why this section is called adjusting status from work, student and tourist visa's.

What they can't do is come here with the intention of doing that beforehand.

But in this case it can't be done because the child is not a USC.

Edited by Dakine10

QCjgyJZ.jpg

I don't see anywhere that the OP said the friend is an LPR and not a USC. Someone else said that out of the blue. I'd assume she is a USC in which case food stamps don't matter, though chances are if they qualify for food stamps they will need a cosponsor for the mother.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

I don't know where your friend is from so I don't know how their culture works, but if they as a family are struggling, your friend doesn't work, the husband only part time and they have food stamps then I personally think its very selfish that she wants to stay with them and add another mouth to the house hold

Given the situation- your friend not having a current job and the husband not having a full time job, check to see if the husband's job can qualify to petition the mother in law. If not, then no, they both do not qualify to sponsor the mom/mother in law.

Just my personal opinion. If the sponsoring party is on food stamps, xxxwabbiexxx is right. Why add another mouth to feed? Most likely this person being petitioned might dip into the food stamps that her relatives are getting. Which rightfully belongs to tax payers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.