brian22

family based visa

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi everyone...how long does it take to get family based visa?do they record everything in their system immediately after submission of application?thx!

we need more information. it depends on who are you filing for, what country the person is from,married or unmarried is the benificiary, is the petitioner a LPR or USC?

more datails of your case.

Filed: Timeline

we need more information. it depends on who are you filing for, what country the person is from,married or unmarried is the benificiary, is the petitioner a LPR or USC?

more datails of your case.

she is usc..beneficiary in uganda...so my mum just got visa to move to us...beneficiary unmarried

Timeline

she is usc..beneficiary in uganda...so my mum just got visa to move to us...beneficiary unmarried

so the mother is the beneficiary, meaning she is filing for her mother? so, what type of visa did she get? I'm confused.

so the mother is the beneficiary, meaning she is filing for her mother? so, what type of visa did she get? I'm confused.

sorry about the confusion..my mum actually just got her visa...and i know there is a process started for me too but i suppose hers worked faster dont understand it...anyways i just read somewhere that family based visa might take about 10 years...so do they file the details of the beneficiary in their system immediately?or they just start working on it after 10 years?thx alot for your response!

Timeline

sorry about the confusion..my mum actually just got her visa...and i know there is a process started for me too but i suppose hers worked faster dont understand it...anyways i just read somewhere that family based visa might take about 10 years...so do they file the details of the beneficiary in their system immediately?or they just start working on it after 10 years?thx alot for your response!

you are still onfusing,

you aren't saying who is filing for whom. if it is your mother and she just became a LPR, she cannot file for if you are married.

residents cannot file for married children.

who is your wife filing for? the time depends on who the petitioner is filing for and from what country is that person.

please clrify who is filing for whom

you are still onfusing,

you aren't saying who is filing for whom. if it is your mother and she just became a LPR, she cannot file for if you are married.

residents cannot file for married children.

who is your wife filing for? the time depends on who the petitioner is filing for and from what country is that person.

please clrify who is filing for whom

my sister is filing for me...i am not married.she is a us citizen.ugandan.thx alot!

my sister is filing for me...i am not married.she is a us citizen.ugandan.thx alot!

i mean i am from uganda..

Moving to bringing family members of USC as OP's sister has filed I-130 petition for sibling (FB4 category).

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

i mean i am from uganda..

ok I see, your sister will file the i130, it's the first form. it can take 5 to 7 months or years to be approved, but once approved the form will be sent to the National Visa Center or NVC, until the priority date becomes current.

the wait currently is over 10 years.

but if your mother just became a LPR, then she can file for you as well, since you are unmmarried, but you must stay unmmaried until she becomes a USC. the waiting time from your mother is currently more than 8 years, and if she becomes a USC, the time reduces a year.

ok I see, your sister will file the i130, it's the first form. it can take 5 to 7 months or years to be approved, but once approved the form will be sent to the National Visa Center or NVC, until the priority date becomes current.

the wait currently is over 10 years.

but if your mother just became a LPR, then she can file for you as well, since you are unmmarried, but you must stay unmmaried until she becomes a USC. the waiting time from your mother is currently more than 8 years, and if she becomes a USC, the time reduces a year.

thank you so much for your response...but my question was...the minute the uscis receives the application..do they start working on it (like file it in the system etc) or they just put the file aside?sorry my question sounds dumb but just wanted to know..thx again!

Timeline

thank you so much for your response...but my question was...the minute the uscis receives the application..do they start working on it (like file it in the system etc) or they just put the file aside?sorry my question sounds dumb but just wanted to know..thx again!

No, they process the l130 form. the form is sent to the proper service center, where it will be approved based on the documentation presented. the approved i130 will be sent to the NVC. your sister will receive a letter with your case number.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

No, they process the l130 form. the form is sent to the proper service center, where it will be approved based on the documentation presented. the approved i130 will be sent to the NVC. your sister will receive a letter with your case number.

just asking.. how old are you..?

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The petition package is received by an intake clerk at USCIS. They open the package, determine what is being applied for, do a quick pass through the accompanying documents and evidence to determine if anything obvious is missing, determine if the check is for the correct amount of money, scan the documents into the system, get a case number from the computer, assemble everything into one of their binders, and stick it in a box. That whole process is called "receipt", and the day it happens is the "priority date" for the received petition.

After that, the box with the petition file will sit in a room for months waiting in line behind many other boxes full of files. Immigration officers will go fetch boxes full of petitions from the room every day. Eventually, the box with your petition will make it to the front of the line. An immigration officer will take that box and being working on the petitions inside it.

In short, they record acceptance of the petition on the day it's received, but nobody actually starts working on it for several months.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.