Neel & Pragya

From being a lawyer to ???

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

So, from what I have been researching, it looks like I'm reaching a country at its most inopportune time!

I'm 27, lawyer by profession having completed my studies from one of the top law schools in India and a 4 year work experience with an Indian MNC. Now in a month moving to the US on a green card (fortunately!) and will be reunited with my husband :) While, I have not started applying yet, my confusion is building up thinking about the innumerable possibilities which lie ahead and roadblocks along the way! If I wish to continue working as a lawyer I am required to atleast have an american qualification which comes as an exorbitant cost. However, looking at the number of unemployed lawyers in the US right now, getting into a law school again does not seem like a prudent decision.

I am absolutely ok with looking at alternate careers but not sure where should I start from since I am not exactly trained otherwise...

Any advice, suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do what you love, isn't that the old saying?

No one here can tell you what you'd be good at or what's the best choice for you. Only you can figure that out yourself

but yes, no matter what job you want, it is REALLY tough here economically

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So, from what I have been researching, it looks like I'm reaching a country at its most inopportune time!

I'm 27, lawyer by profession having completed my studies from one of the top law schools in India and a 4 year work experience with an Indian MNC. Now in a month moving to the US on a green card (fortunately!) and will be reunited with my husband :) While, I have not started applying yet, my confusion is building up thinking about the innumerable possibilities which lie ahead and roadblocks along the way! If I wish to continue working as a lawyer I am required to atleast have an american qualification which comes as an exorbitant cost. However, looking at the number of unemployed lawyers in the US right now, getting into a law school again does not seem like a prudent decision.

I am absolutely ok with looking at alternate careers but not sure where should I start from since I am not exactly trained otherwise...

Any advice, suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Highly educated people often have this trouble. Alla is teaching English in a refugee program part time and often sees people who were doctors, lawyers, teachers that are now opening boxes in toy stores or wiping tables at a cafeteria. She herself, a person with a Masters in English and one in Russian had to go through anther Masters program here to have a degree in English from a school in a country where English is the native language.

I would suggest doing what you need to so you can continue your chosen profession. You will not be happy with your options otherwise. There are no unemployed good attorneys in the US

Good luck.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

while education costs money, there are always scholarships available. I'll leave it to you to learn how to seek them out.

In the meantime - hey - you could easily work as a paralegal.

What's yer spouse's take on all of this work stuff, btw?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

If I were 27, passed out from one of the best law college and satisfied with work and work place , I would not have left India in 2012 since I have experiences of living in those countries.

Well if I am sick of Indian mindset or hate India as society or ready to give another five years to skill developing new or old for really a rewarding career path then....

Try your local District Attorney or Attorney General's office. They have a host of paralegal and investigator positions and generally don't require employees to be U.S. citizens. And they LOVE employees with a legal background.

I'm an investigator with the Colorado AG, and one of my fellow investigators (a Philippines born LPR) was an attorney in the Philippines before he came to the U.S.

11-24-2006 Annette and I meet in Rome

09-09-2008 Engaged!

01-30-2009 Fiance petition filed

03-22-2009 Fiance petition approved. Case moves to U.S. embassy in London

04-01-2009 Package received from U.S. embassy in London

06-01-2009 Visa Medical (London)

06-23-2009 K1 Visa Interview (London)

06-27-2009 Passport returned by embassy. K1 Visa received!!

07-04-2009 Fly to Denver (port of entry - Houston, TX)

07-25-2009 We are married (the joint happiest day of my life)

08-07-2009 Social Security number obtained

08-20-2009 AOS, Advanced Parole and Employment Authorization forms filed

09-24-2009 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

10-05-2009 Advanced Parole received

10-09-2009 Employment Authorization received

10-13-2009 Colorado Learner's permit obtained and driving test scheduled

10-21-2009 Driving test taken and passed

11-30-2009 Green Card Interview (Centennial, CO)

12-08-2009 Green Card received

01-04-2010 Employed

01-28-2011 Our daughter is born (the other happiest day of my life)!

11-21-2011 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12-28-2011 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

03-16-2012 Card production ordered

03-23-2012 Card received

09-04-2012 Application for Naturalization filed

10-05-2012 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

12-11-2012 Naturalization Interview (Centennial, CO)

Filed: Other Timeline

Check with he BAR association in your state and inquire what you will need to do in order to be eligible to take the BAR exam. Look into the UBE and MBE and familiarize yourself with every aspect of it. I don't know how Chicago handles this.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Do you want to do the work needed to be a lawyer here? Ask yourself that first. I could see you specializing in international law if you have your accreditation in both India and the USA --- if your English is good. Ideally, what exactly do you want to do, and what exactly would you have to do to get there? (Other than just taking the bar... Law school would give you a network too.)

Maybe you should ask on a site specializing in law?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Don't neglect to look at opportunities within your MNC if available. Also, any vendors or clients of your current/former employer could be a place to look....

There is HUGE growth in outsourced legal work from the US to India. Do a little research on that end. They may have training opportunities that could help you bridge the gap?

Also, many NGOs and foundations that do ground work in India or South Asia may be another place to look. Something along the lines of the Gates Foundation may have a random position or two that would LOVE someone with legal experience in India. Same would hold true with MNCs that span both countries, maybe pharma?

Edited by catknit

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I thought of something else this morning....

If you are moving to Virginia [i know - shot in the dark], you can become a "reader of law" which is a practicing attorney without law school. You would need to find a Virginia bar accepted attorney with whom you'd be an apprentice. There may be a hour-requirement minimum. I forget...I'm sure somewhere out on the interwebs the answer is there.

Anyway, through their "sponsorship" you can take the bar exam. Given your situation and the 1 in 50 chance you're moving to Virginia I thought I'd through that out there.

Also, if you currently work in intellectual property, patents, etc you can become a Patent Agent rather easily. It's more than a paralegal yet not quite an attorney. The only thing you would not be able to do is represent someone in court on your own....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I think if she wanted to work within a few weeks of POE date (after SSN in hand)

then she can easily get work as a paralegal within a corporation or attorney's office.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thanks guys for taking out the time to respond!

Catknit: I am moving to Boston! Virginia, slightly far away :) The company I was working with unfortunately does not have a legal office in the US, though they have hotels (I was working with an Indian Hotel chain with hotels worldwide)/offices. am going to try however if I can move into some other dept. Your suggestion on the firms dealing with outsourcing is interesting and definitely one I will look into! I have been looking at NGO's and non profits and some of them suit my requirements as well. Though they don't pay that well, they may be able to provide much needed american work experience and a chance to experiment something besides law.

Darnell- Paralegal jobs are a good option for sure. I am keeping it in mind. My husband is open to anything I want to pursue- studies, legal job, non legal job, non profit job... Basically anything I really want to do or have a passion for (EXCEPT sitting at home)!

NM- Thank you for the investigator suggestion. Was not aware of something like this.

Brother Hesekiel- I checked the requirements for taking the Bar. For Boston, I need to get an LLM from the US as the minimum requirement.

Thanks guys for taking out the time to respond!

Catknit: I am moving to Boston! Virginia, slightly far away :) The company I was working with unfortunately does not have a legal office in the US, though they have hotels (I was working with an Indian Hotel chain with hotels worldwide)/offices. am going to try however if I can move into some other dept. Your suggestion on the firms dealing with outsourcing is interesting and definitely one I will look into! I have been looking at NGO's and non profits and some of them suit my requirements as well. Though they don't pay that well, they may be able to provide much needed american work experience and a chance to experiment something besides law.

Darnell- Paralegal jobs are a good option for sure. I am keeping it in mind. My husband is open to anything I want to pursue- studies, legal job, non legal job, non profit job... Basically anything I really want to do or have a passion for (EXCEPT sitting at home)!

NM- Thank you for the investigator suggestion. Was not aware of something like this.

Brother Hesekiel- I checked the requirements for taking the Bar. For Boston, I need to get an LLM from the US as the minimum requirement.

Check for companies that have overseas offices most especially in India. You can be like a Human Resource person there coz you know the labor laws in India and how to send people there as expats, orient them to the culture.. things like that. I'd kill to have a law degree. didn't get to finish law school because i decided to get married and move here.

Well, good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Neel California bar accepts admission to bar without an LL.M. It doesn't matter if you come from a civil or common law background so long as you are a licensed attorney in your home country you are eligible for the CA bar exam, you must be a practicing lawyer and are required to provide local bar association Good Standing Certificate to register.

YOU would be entitled to practice law in any Jurisdiction just if choose the Federal Field(Immigration field,Federal bankruptcy law), but many states allow for reciprocal admission to the bar of that state if an individual is licensed to practice in another state which also permits reciprocal admission, and most states require the person practiced law for a number of years.Check it out with the California Bar.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.