American Dream

Aything new about the dream act?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

post moved to General Immigration forum from Immigration News and Discussion forum as it does not relate to a News story

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No such Act

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Some states have passed a version of the "Dream Act." California and Texas are two of the big states with different versions of the Dream Act. Long term residency in-state, graduation from a local in-state high school, and clean criminal records are some of the requirements for the Dream Act. Each state has its own version of the "Dream Act," so you'll find some commonality between states and some differences.

There is no national "Dream Act," and it's probably not going to happen during this election year. If the Republicans win the Presidency, don't expect them to pass the Dream Act.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Other Timeline

The DREAM Act will become law in late 2013 or early 2014 during President Obama's second term in office. He made this unmistakably clear in his State of the Union address last week.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Some states have passed a version of the "Dream Act." California and Texas are two of the big states with different versions of the Dream Act. Long term residency in-state, graduation from a local in-state high school, and clean criminal records are some of the requirements for the Dream Act. Each state has its own version of the "Dream Act," so you'll find some commonality between states and some differences.

There is no national "Dream Act," and it's probably not going to happen during this election year. If the Republicans win the Presidency, don't expect them to pass the Dream Act.

What California and Texas call their respective "Dream Act" bears little resemblance to the various incarnations of the federal act that's been proposed. The so-called "California Dream Act" only allows illegal immigrants who were brought into the country before age 16, and have met the other requirements, to obtain grants, scholarships, and financial aid to attend college. This act does nothing to change the immigration status of these people, nor does it allow them to work legally in the United States once they graduate from college. States simply don't have the authority to change a persons immigration status. In fact, it's the official position of the federal government that states don't even have the authority to enforce federal immigration law except where the federal government requires them to.

The DREAM Act will become law in late 2013 or early 2014 during President Obama's second term in office. He made this unmistakably clear in his State of the Union address last week.

What the Dream Act proposes to do requires a change in federal immigration law, and the President cannot change the law unilaterally. He needs Congress to create and approve the changes before he gets a chance to put his pen to paper and enact it. The President has issued several directives that effectively change the way immigration law is enforced, but granting lawful status to someone who entered the US without inspection is flat out impossible under current law, and the President can't change this with an executive order.

The last attempt to pass the act was in late 2010, after the Democrats had been soundly spanked in the congressional elections, and were about to lose control of the House of Representatives. The house passed the bill, but the Republicans stopped it in the Senate. It effectively died when the Republicans took control of the House.

FWIW, the President made a load of promises before he was first elected, and he's failed to keep many of those promises, including his promise to introduce a comprehensive immigration bill his first year in office. In fact, he did nothing in his first year to encourage or promote the introduction of any immigration bill, and when Democratic Rep. Luis Gutierrez introduced a bill of his own the President didn't evenly publicly endorse it. He made a lot of public speeches about immigration reform in both 2010 and 2011, but none of this public blustering has resulted in a bill landing on his desk.

My personal prediction is that we will not see the Dream Act, or anything resembling it, become law during the next presidential term unless Barack Obama is reelected, the Democrats take control of the House of Representatives, and the Democrats achieve a supermajority in the Senate. Mitt Romney has already stated that he would veto any bill that provided a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Mitt said he would look favourably through service in the Armed Forces.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Timeline

Mitt Romney has already stated that he would veto any bill that provided a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

That's Mitt Romney, the guy who needs to win the Republican nomination. For that to happen, he needs to be this tough, ultra conservative.

The Mitt Romney who would want to become President of the United States would need to win the vote of all them American voters, and that's another guy, one that needs to appease the Hispanic voters and some of those independents like myself. That's the Romney whose health care served as a model for Obamacare!

Luckily, Romney maybe totally out of touch with reality, based on his incredible wealth, but he is a man of many faces and can adapt his positions more quickly than any other prominent politician.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

[strawman] I've always wondered why 'The Hispanic Vote' seems to have, as one of it's key issues, concerns over paths for illegal aliens to become citizens.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Because the Dems think to be a Hispanic is to be undocumented.

The only ones they have met?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Mitt said he would look favourably through service in the Armed Forces.

Nope. That was Newt Gingrich. Romney suggested that illegal immigrants should be given some time to get their affairs in order in the US, but that they shouldn't be considered for any immigration benefit until they "self deport". Gingrich called Romney's position "inhumane", but said he wouldn't support a reform act that provided immigration benefits simply for going to college, which is what the Dream Act would allow. Gingrich said he might support a plan that allowed them a path to immigrate if they served in the military.

In my opinion, Gingrich didn't think his plan through very well. A similar plan was tried during the Vietnam war that would allow people convicted of certain crimes to avoid a jail sentence by enlisting in the military. The results were marginal, at best. People who join the military in order to avoid punishment of some sort tend to be unmotivated and lack discipline. Sure, if you put them on the front line then they'll pull the trigger because it's a better option than letting the enemy kill you, but the odds of them taking a hike at the first opportunity rather than facing enemy fire is higher than it would be for a volunteer. Most of those guys chose the military over jail hoping they'd get a job that wouldn't require them to ever look down the barrel of an enemy rifle. Unfortunately for them, conscripts and quasi-volunteers are usually the first to be sent in to fight. They are, essentially, cannon fodder.

I think one of the redeeming features of the Dream Act is that it provides an alternative for those who can't commit to military life. If military service is the only option then the military is going to end up with a lot of bad soldiers.

[strawman] I've always wondered why 'The Hispanic Vote' seems to have, as one of it's key issues, concerns over paths for illegal aliens to become citizens.

It doesn't. That applies mainly to the Mexican vote. It wasn't an issue with Hispanics in Florida at all. That's because most of them are either Cuban or Puerto Rican. Cubans get a green card just by stepping onto US soil without being stopped. Puerto Ricans are already US citizens. Many Democrats outside of Florida were surprised to see what they viewed as an apparent callous disregard by Floridians for the plight of their fellow Hispanics, but nobody in Florida was surprised. As usual, what many thought was an issue of race turns out to have nothing to with race, but has to do with whether they are their family are personally affected by it. Many Mexicans I know couldn't give a rats rump whether someone they don't know gets deported, as long as it doesn't happen to them, their family, or their friends.

I also think it's interesting how they lump all Hispanics into the same group as if they're all part of the Hispanic 'Borg', and share the same brain. I'm Caucasian, but I'd be pretty offended if someone referred to me when talking about the "white vote". :whistle:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
Nope. That was Newt Gingrich. Romney suggested that illegal immigrants should be given some time to get their affairs in order in the US, but that they shouldn't be considered for any immigration benefit until they "self deport". Gingrich called Romney's position "inhumane", but said he wouldn't support a reform act that provided immigration benefits simply for going to college, which is what the Dream Act would allow. Gingrich said he might support a plan that allowed them a path to immigrate if they served in the military.

Well it was the one without the white hair and the multiple wives.

In my opinion, Gingrich didn't think his plan through very well. A similar plan was tried during the Vietnam war that would allow people convicted of certain crimes to avoid a jail sentence by enlisting in the military. The results were marginal, at best. People who join the military in order to avoid punishment of some sort tend to be unmotivated and lack discipline. Sure, if you put them on the front line then they'll pull the trigger because it's a better option than letting the enemy kill you, but the odds of them taking a hike at the first opportunity rather than facing enemy fire is higher than it would be for a volunteer. Most of those guys chose the military over jail hoping they'd get a job that wouldn't require them to ever look down the barrel of an enemy rifle. Unfortunately for them, conscripts and quasi-volunteers are usually the first to be sent in to fight. They are, essentially, cannon fodder.

The Russians did not even bother issuing guns.

However joining the military or going to jail is certainly a lot more recent, I can think of at least one situation I personally know within the last 5 years.

I think one of the redeeming features of the Dream Act is that it provides an alternative for those who can't commit to military life. If military service is the only option then the military is going to end up with a lot of bad soldiers.

The Military would still always have the option on who they take on and who they discharge. The college route is amnesty under another name.

I also think it's interesting how they lump all Hispanics into the same group as if they're all part of the Hispanic 'Borg', and share the same brain. I'm Caucasian, but I'd be pretty offended if someone referred to me when talking about the "white vote". :whistle:

You confused me, do you think Hispanic is a Race?

Edited by Boiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.