edwardteresa4ever

At what point is it safe if any to set wedding date??

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance and I are going through the K1 process, actually right now waiting for the NOA2 to arrive at the NVC since we received our NOA2 January 12th, hoping this week. we know its a short window to acutally plan our wedding, but do need at least a 6-8 weeks to do so. just wondering at what point if any is safe to begin planning, I have heard not till visa is in hand which isnt a lot of time.

our options: Get married in the church ( we are both catholic and would like to marry in the church ) very small service which I think she would be a little sad with only a couple people there.

or a civil service, then plan to have our marrige blessed in the church later with a larger service and nice reception to follow with family and friends in attendance.

or try and plan the whole thing assuming a date within this process? Anybody have any Ideas, weddings are hard to plan especially if your the guy and here in the USA and she is not. would love some ideas and thoughts???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Visa in hand really is the best way to go, you never know if the visa will get lost int eh mail or she gets puts into AP. Some thing I did was get every little detail that I wanted done first, then all we had to do was get a JP and order our cake and catering. Was pretty easy really. If you are sure 6-8 weeks is enough time to plan a wedding just start planning when she gets the visa, then by the time the flight is booked and she arrives the wait will be that much less. I got my dream wedding in less then a few weeks. It is possible. Good Luck with yours.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I have to agree, until the visa is in hand... plan nothing

I admit, I am hesitant to plan further on the ceremony until he gets his visa APPROVED and in hand :unsure:

“The moon is at her full, and riding high, floods the calm fields with light. The airs that hover in the summer sky are all asleep tonight.” ~William C. Bryant

Click HERE for our complete K-1 visa journey timeline.

Happily Married: December 1, 2012

AOS Journey:
Filing Date: 4/15/2013

NOA1: 4/23/2013

Received RFE: 5/13/2013 (We forgot to include proof of citizenship of co-sponsor)

Mailed our response to the RFE: 5/15/2013 (We sent the co-sponsor's U.S. birth certificate)

Biometrics Appointment: 5/20/13

EAD: arrived 6/24/13

AOS: APPROVED! No interview! Approval (NOA-1 letter)Date: 9/24/2013

2 year conditional green card received 09/2013.

10 year permanent residency approved 2016.

<3 Baby girl born February 2015 <3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I have to agree, until the visa is in hand... plan nothing

:thumbs:

Rule of thumb is the 'visa in hand' policy - think and plan ideas but don't book/pay for anything until then.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Timeline

I'm planning on waiting until the visa is actually in her hand before making flight arrangements or anything else important.

We can do everything right. The consulate can do everything right.

But one traffic accident while being delivered can leave the visa destroyed or lost on the side of a road somewhere.

May your visa journey be smooth and speedy.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

Timeline

Agreed visa in hands before any planning. For me I would not make any arrangement till she is actually here with me already. I know weddings are supposed to be special but with limited time I would just go with a simple civil ceremony and plan a grand reception sometime later. Putting a wedding together can be done within 3 months assuming you got everything picked out(reception area..dress..cake..band..etc..)and all services are available on your date and of course money..

Well your behind the wheel on this one bro so good luck on your planning..and Congrats!!!

Timeline

I would Agree what others have said, Best way to go is wait until you have the Visa in hand, never know what Obstacle you could come across. Good Luck!! :thumbs:

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

plan now.. thats what i have done.. :)

so far we are at "getting married in Vegas"..

more details ONCE she have VISA in hand :)

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

My fiance and I are going through the K1 process, actually right now waiting for the NOA2 to arrive at the NVC since we received our NOA2 January 12th, hoping this week. we know its a short window to acutally plan our wedding, but do need at least a 6-8 weeks to do so. just wondering at what point if any is safe to begin planning, I have heard not till visa is in hand which isnt a lot of time.

our options: Get married in the church ( we are both catholic and would like to marry in the church ) very small service which I think she would be a little sad with only a couple people there.

or a civil service, then plan to have our marrige blessed in the church later with a larger service and nice reception to follow with family and friends in attendance.

or try and plan the whole thing assuming a date within this process? Anybody have any Ideas, weddings are hard to plan especially if your the guy and here in the USA and she is not. would love some ideas and thoughts???

Not until VISA i hand,b/c God only knows what will happen next and it is very easy to plan for the weeding,specially if you think you invite not a lot of people and i am so happy that you guys planing to get married in the church. Very awesome!!! Good Luck.

EVERYTHING IS WITH THE HELP OF GOD. HE NEVER LET US DOWN. HAVE FAITH IN YOUR GOD!!!! I LOVE YOU BABY FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” - Corinthians

-October 12,2011 Petition sent to CSC
-October 19,2011 NOA1
-Feb.27,2012 NOA2 approval (131 days from NOA1)
-March 7,2012 The Petition Forwarded to Consulates:)
-March 23,2012 Packet 3 and 4 Received.
-April 3,2012 Visa Approved
-April 20,2012 VISA in my Hand.Yey. smile.pngsmile.png
-April 25,2012 My Flight and My POE is JFK
-August 03,2012 AOS filed
-August 28,2012 RFE
-September 05,2012 RFE sent and They received it on Sept.13th
-October 10,2012 EAD approved
-October 18,2012 EAD card in the mail.Yey

-September 6,2013 Green card APPROVED!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

We waited until 5 days before the wedding took place. None of my family members weren't going to make anyways(vacations don't hang on trees) and Stephens relatives and friends were from the area so they just had to know a week or two beforehand. Would've adored to known and planned long in advance but I accepted that wasn't the case when starting this journey.

Postpone your POE a bit to have more time if you need more than the 90 days after your POE. After the visa is issued it's valid for up to 6 months(depending on your medical) before using/activating it. I was just to darn anxious to be with my husband that any wedding date would do :) I'd echo the others and wait with the planning until you have passport and visa in hand.

If your state requires a SSN applying for getting married and you end up being stuck with waiting for it, it would be sad. Not that it will happen though, there are just little things everywhere you can't predict.

Good luck! :)

plan now.. thats what i have done.. :)

so far we are at "getting married in Vegas"..

more details ONCE she have VISA in hand :)

Yes well, or this way works too :D

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

[…] or a civil service, then plan to have our marrige blessed in the church later with a larger service and nice reception to follow with family and friends in attendance.[…]

This is your best option. :thumbs: As others said, it's safer to not plan anything until you have the visa on hand.

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Well.. altough I agree with most others, we actually planned our wedding even before applying for the Visa. Our wedding date is june 9,2012 and we booked the venue, photographer, catering etc back in July last year (because I was in the States all summer). I will admit I have been a bit worried, however, I believe everything will work out in time! I didnt tell the guests to book flights and hotels yet though ;)

Timeline

Well.. altough I agree with most others, we actually planned our wedding even before applying for the Visa. Our wedding date is june 9,2012 and we booked the venue, photographer, catering etc back in July last year (because I was in the States all summer). I will admit I have been a bit worried, however, I believe everything will work out in time! I didnt tell the guests to book flights and hotels yet though ;)

Wow that's brave!! Looking at your timeline, you could very well be getting married on your planned wedding date :luv:

In my case though, I have read on here that the Accra consulate sets the interview appointments for 5-8 months after they receive the petition approval. :( So I am hoping that our wedding will take place in September. I haven't even received my NOA-2 yet but hopefully I will hear something in a couple of weeks (I am noticing alot of approvals through VSC on Igors List around the same time I submitted my petition)!

“The moon is at her full, and riding high, floods the calm fields with light. The airs that hover in the summer sky are all asleep tonight.” ~William C. Bryant

AOS Journey:

Received RFE: 5/13/2013 (We forgot to include proof of citizenship of co-sponsor)

Mailed our response to the RFE: 5/15/2013 (We sent the co-sponsor's U.S. birth certificate)

Timeline

or a civil service, then plan to have our marrige blessed in the church later with a larger service and nice reception to follow with family and friends in attendance.or try and plan the whole thing assuming a date within this process? Anybody have any Ideas, weddings are hard to plan especially if your the guy and here in the USA and she is not. would love some ideas and thoughts???

From the options you gave, It sounds as if you and she will be happier with the civil service, then plan to have your marriage blessed in the church with more people their to enjoy your celebration.

AOS Journey:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.