davidb79

Confused about case status

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello all,

My wife and I have a pending Adjustment of Status. We sent our paperwork on December 10, 2011. We received an email notice that our applications had been received on December 16 and received a letter in the mail saying the same thing on December 21. On December 24, my wife received a notice of an appointment for fingerprinting/biometrics in Cincinnati on January 4. She did that and everything went fine. Then, on January 13, we received the following email:

The last processing action taken on your case

Receipt Number: -------------

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Your Case Status: Testing and Interview

On January 12, 2012, we mailed you an appointment notice for an interview for February 14, 2012, at NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER. Please follow the instructions on the notice. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

If your case status indicates that you are currently in this step, you have either been scheduled for an interview or are in line to be scheduled for an interview. The amount of time your application will remain in this step will vary by office and is largely determined by the number of cases ahead of yours. The interview notice will have specifics about time, location and anything you will need to bring to your interview. If your application remains pending beyond our normal processing times (as shown below) please contact our national customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

Please note that not every application/applicant will require an interview. In some instances, an interview is required by regulation and others an interview is requested because USCIS has determined that this is the most efficient means to determine eligibility. For a naturalization application the interview will include your taking the required English and/or Civics tests (unless exempt or waived).

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status results

listed above, or if you have not received a decision from USCIS within the current processing time listed*, please contact USCIS Customer Service at (800) 375-5283.

*Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov under Check Processing Times.

*** Please do not respond to this e-mail message.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

As of today (January 26), we have not received anything in the mail about the interview. Then, to make things even more interesting, last night, January 25, we received the following email:

The last processing action taken on your case

Receipt Number: ------------

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Your Case Status: Card/ Document Production

On January 25, 2012 we mailed the document to the address we have on file. You should receive the new document within 30 days. If you do not, or if you move before you get it, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

This step applies to applications that result in an applicant receiving a card (such as a "green card") or other document (such as a naturalization certificate, employment authorization document, travel document, or advance parole). Applications will be in this step from the time the order to produce the card/document is given until the card/document is produced and mailed to the applicant. You can expect to receive your card/document within 30 days of the approval of your application.

If you do not receive your document, please contact our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status results

listed above, or if you have not received a decision from USCIS within the current processing time listed*, please contact USCIS Customer Service at (800) 375-5283.

*Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov under Check Processing Times.

*** Please do not respond to this e-mail message.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

Looking at the timeline on uscis.gov, Card/Document Production is the final step. And, oddly, the Interview step is no longer shown on that timeline (as it was when we initially received that email notice). The status of our 3 other forms (I130, I131 and I765) still shows as in the Initial Review stage.

So, two questions:

1. Why is it taking this long to receive the information about the interview?

2. Why have we suddenly jumped to the Card/ Document Production status? I notice that the email says the "document" was mailed, not the "card" as I have seen other emails state in the case of a green card. What document is this? My first thought (after the wishful thinking of "green card") would been employment or travel authorization, but neither of those applications has seen an update in status since they were received.

I appreciate any advice from those of you who have gone through this. It's quite nerve-wracking!

Thanks!

I am by no means an expert, but I have read that the file can be sent to the IO and they can decide to approve it without the interview. This is the notice we are hoping to receive because it means your GC is approved.

07/18/2011 Concurrent I130/I485/I765

09/05/2011 EAD approved

11/03/2011 AOS Interview

12/28/2011 I130 Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I strongly suggest you call the 1800 number and speak to a Tier 2 rep to see what they say. I also suggest you make an INFOPASS.

On the one hand if you get the card before the interview you should be okay, but you wouldn't want to risk denial.. it's very odd.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guinea
Timeline

GOOD GOD Do you guys think anyone from USCIS has actually read any of these letters?! Are they written by robots? They are totally ambiguous. "This is a letter to tell you about a letter we may or may not have sent you about the interview you may or may not need to have on February 14th... BUT, maybe we mailed you your green card or another document which may or may not have been approved!! This perhaps corresponds with a status report on our website that we don't really know anything about, although you might want to look at it, because the information on the site may or not be correct and will tell you what to do. or not do. Welcome to America!"

7/30/10 - 129F petition Sent to VSC

8/4/10 - NOA 1

10/3/10 - Touched

1/24/11 - Called VSC. Useless

2/1/11 - NOA 2 APPROVED TXT/Email notification

5/4/11 - Interview in Dakar

5/7/11 - Entry into USA @IAD

9/17/11 - AOS, EAD and AP mailed to USCIS

9/28/11 - NOA 1 rec'd for all three

10/18/11 - biometrics (missed due to illness)

12/5/11 - biometrics

12/23/11 - NOA 2- I485 moved to CSC

12/23/11 - EAD approved

1/13/12 - EAD rec'd - wrong DOB

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

My wife and I have a pending Adjustment of Status. We sent our paperwork on December 10, 2011. We received an email notice that our applications had been received on December 16 and received a letter in the mail saying the same thing on December 21. On December 24, my wife received a notice of an appointment for fingerprinting/biometrics in Cincinnati on January 4. She did that and everything went fine. Then, on January 13, we received the following email:

As of today (January 26), we have not received anything in the mail about the interview. Then, to make things even more interesting, last night, January 25, we received the following email:

Looking at the timeline on uscis.gov, Card/Document Production is the final step. And, oddly, the Interview step is no longer shown on that timeline (as it was when we initially received that email notice). The status of our 3 other forms (I130, I131 and I765) still shows as in the Initial Review stage.

So, two questions:

1. Why is it taking this long to receive the information about the interview?

2. Why have we suddenly jumped to the Card/ Document Production status? I notice that the email says the "document" was mailed, not the "card" as I have seen other emails state in the case of a green card. What document is this? My first thought (after the wishful thinking of "green card") would been employment or travel authorization, but neither of those applications has seen an update in status since they were received.

I appreciate any advice from those of you who have gone through this. It's quite nerve-wracking!

Thanks!

This letter looks nothing like the appointment letter we received from USCIS for a interview in Cincinnati. This is odd, but I would call to make sure there has not been a mix up.

Timeline

Thanks, all, for the responses. I called USCIS and found, first of all, that we transposed two numbers of our zip code on the I-485. Doh! So I'm sure that's the reason for the delay of the interview notice, though we have received several other pieces of mail from USCIS listing the wrong zip code and have seen no apparent delay. At any rate, I did a change-of-address and the agent said he will resend the notice.

What I couldn't get resolved was part two of this issue: exactly what document was sent two days ago? One of the Tier I agents I spoke with said we had been approved and assumed it was the green card that had been sent, but I'm a little skeptical that could be the case. The Tier II agent didn't say anything about that, though I stupidly neglected to ask directly (I was a little flustered when I realized we had given the wrong zip code). Looking at the email closely, it lists employment or travel authorization as possible documents being sent, and that would make more sense.

Regardless, I still feel this sense of hope that we are near the finish line but I fear it may be a false sense of hope. Trying to keep my head on straight.

Again, any insight is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

Timeline

What I couldn't get resolved was part two of this issue: exactly what document was sent two days ago? One of the Tier I agents I spoke with said we had been approved and assumed it was the green card that had been sent, but I'm a little skeptical that could be the case. The Tier II agent didn't say anything about that, though I stupidly neglected to ask directly (I was a little flustered when I realized we had given the wrong zip code). Looking at the email closely, it lists employment or travel authorization as possible documents being sent, and that would make more sense.

If the case number is for your EAD then its your EAD that's been approved, if it's your AOS number then it's your AOS that's been approved.

Timeline

If the case number is for your EAD then its your EAD that's been approved, if it's your AOS number then it's your AOS that's been approved.

Ah, yeah, good point. There have been no updates for the I-130, I-131 or I-765 other than "we received it and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case." Hard to believe this entire thing could be over not even two months after we filed. I don't think I will believe it until I'm holding the GC in my hand.

Timeline

Ah, yeah, good point. There have been no updates for the I-130, I-131 or I-765 other than "we received it and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case." Hard to believe this entire thing could be over not even two months after we filed. I don't think I will believe it until I'm holding the GC in my hand.

Ahhh you filed an i-130... what visa are you AOSing from?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from AOS from Family to AOS from Tourist visa as OP came on a VWP *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Just an update for those of you who might be wondering:

The confusion surrounding our case was due to us getting the zip code wrong on the I-485 (of all the forms to get that wrong on, it had to be the I-485!). We transposed two numbers, so our case file was sent to a local office in Kentucky instead of in Columbus, OH. Some of the mail came to our Ohio address, just with the wrong zip (which doesn't seem to be a problem for the USPS), but on other pieces of mail, they actually changed the city and state to match the wrong zip code (an address that doesn't even exist). Unfortunately, the interview notice was one document sent to that completely wrong address, so it came back as undeliverable. When that happened, they canceled the interview.

We quickly did a change of address and were told we should get a new interview eventually, but it was time to wait again. We didn't have to wait long, though...the interview was today, and it went great! Our case officer was extremely nice and after about 15 minutes of standard questions, she said she was recommending us for approval and that the GC should arrive in 1-2 weeks. CELEBRATE! :)

Yay! Resolution!

I have seen a number of these lately, and if I had to make a recommendation, it would be that people hand-write the forms. There will be no typos with hand-written forms. I personally think the cons of typed forms (easy to make mispellings, typos, digit errors) outweigh the pros (slightly easier to read).

Anyway, congrats on approval!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.