Danno

GAY YOUTH COMMITS SUICIDE ONE MONTH AFTER POSTING ‘IT GETS BETTER’ VIDEO

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Eric-James-Borges-620x465.jpg

Only one month after filming an “It Gets Better” video to help inspire young gays and lesbians, 19-year-old Eric James Borges tragically committed suicide. The circumstances surrounding the young filmmaker’s death have not been revealed, although his work showcases that his “coming out” in the last year was extremely difficult.

In his video, Borges discussed intimate details about his life, including an exorcism his mother apparently performed to “cure” him of his homosexuality. He was later told to leave home.

“My anxiety, depression, self-loathing and suicidal thoughts spiked,” he explained. “I had nowhere safe to go, either at home or school… My parents told me that, among other things, I was disgusting, perverted, unnatural and damned to Hell.”

Additionally, he spoke of the abuse he received from peers at school on a daily basis as a result of his perceived homosexuality. He said his situation worsened as he progressed throughout junior and senior high school.

“I was raised in an extremist Christian household,” he said. “My earliest recollections of my experience with the relentless and ongoing bullying was in kindergarten, but of course to a lesser degree.”

In a tragic unfolding of events, at the time of his death, Borges was trying to re-boot his life in San Joaquin Valley, California. The young man was working as an intern at The Trevor Project, an organization that works to prevent suicide among LGBT young people.

A description on the “It Gets Better” video he posted reads:

“It Gets Better Campaign” by EricJames Borges from Visalia, CA. My story is always hard to tell, even in a simplistic condensed form, but, “Many LGBT youth can’t picture what their lives might be like as openly gay adults. They can’t imagine a future for themselves. So let’s show them what our lives are like, let’s show them what the future may hold in store for them.” -ItGetsBetter.org

Watch the video, below:

Edited by Danno

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

wth does that kid have in his ear? It's almost the size of a pie shell.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've said it before, it all begins at home.

School bullying is one thing, internet bullying is one thing, but when the parents are nuts.... a completely different story. Kid doesn't stand a chance.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Poor kid. Sad story. Hope mom and dad are proud of their job being parents.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Timeline

School bullying is one thing, internet bullying is one thing, but when the parents are nuts.... a completely different story. Kid doesn't stand a chance.

It could be this kid came from an unusually cruel family but it is also common for emotionally disturbed people to fabricate or greatly magnify past wrongs done to them.

At some point we may here the families side of what went on, that mostly won't happen until after the interest in the story has dissipated, one would expect.. hope, they are grieving.

These Gay-kid suicides are every bit as common in areas where it has been acceptable to be gay for years now, so I think people are chasing a fantasy if they think these will ever stop, in fact Gay-suicides are but a fraction of young people off'in themselves anyway.

ONe of the most difficult parts of situations like this is you wonder, could he have been pulled in from the edge, reached , helped?

ONly those close to him might know.

William Penn

Timeline

I think the big question here is, does Danno actually agree with the parents in the OP? I bet he does.

I didn't see anything from the parents to agree or disagree with,.

he tells some accounts of what happened, but we don't know what even went on in the house, just what he claimed.

No doubt the parents and family can give more information on what went on.

William Penn

What exactly did the parents do wrong? I can remember when my brother was like 14 and got his ear pierced along with a homemade tattoo because his friends were doing it and he wanted to look like a tough guy and my step dad beat his ####### until he couldn't see straight. And my parents were anything but religious. If any of my friends, brothers, cousins, etc... had told thier parents they were homosexual and had sex with other guys they would have gotten beat black and blue right before they got the boot out of the house. That's how it was in our neck of the woods...or it was back then. Hard to say these days...everyone is on that politically correct thing now.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

I'm sorry you had to grow up around that :-(

I came from a blue collar household and a blue collar/farming/logging community as did most in Washington state then. If anything it made us tougher. You gave as good as you got and you didn't whine about it or you got it twice as bad.

sigbet.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Eric-James-Borges-620x465.jpg

Only one month after filming an “It Gets Better” video to help inspire young gays and lesbians, 19-year-old Eric James Borges tragically committed suicide. The circumstances surrounding the young filmmaker’s death have not been revealed, although his work showcases that his “coming out” in the last year was extremely difficult.

In his video, Borges discussed intimate details about his life, including an exorcism his mother apparently performed to “cure” him of his homosexuality. He was later told to leave home.

“My anxiety, depression, self-loathing and suicidal thoughts spiked,” he explained. “I had nowhere safe to go, either at home or school… My parents told me that, among other things, I was disgusting, perverted, unnatural and damned to Hell.”

Additionally, he spoke of the abuse he received from peers at school on a daily basis as a result of his perceived homosexuality. He said his situation worsened as he progressed throughout junior and senior high school.

“I was raised in an extremist Christian household,” he said. “My earliest recollections of my experience with the relentless and ongoing bullying was in kindergarten, but of course to a lesser degree.”

In a tragic unfolding of events, at the time of his death, Borges was trying to re-boot his life in San Joaquin Valley, California. The young man was working as an intern at The Trevor Project, an organization that works to prevent suicide among LGBT young people.

A description on the “It Gets Better” video he posted reads:

“It Gets Better Campaign” by EricJames Borges from Visalia, CA. My story is always hard to tell, even in a simplistic condensed form, but, “Many LGBT youth can’t picture what their lives might be like as openly gay adults. They can’t imagine a future for themselves. So let’s show them what our lives are like, let’s show them what the future may hold in store for them.” -ItGetsBetter.org

Watch the video, below: