Robert&Karen

Stereotypes in America, true or not

120 posts in this topic

Everything's definitely bigger here and people who are not transplants themselves (either from different states or other countries) are surprised I would make such a move and that I've traveled to many other countries for work and leisure :yes:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America:

http://www.fluentin3months.com/no-usa-for-me/

I understand some of his reasons, but the grass is always greener ...

I didn't realise how bad the health care system really is (or should that be LACK OF health care?!!) until I moved here. Like Vanessa said - it is scary to think about having a baby here - to the point that I am seriously considering if/when the time comes to go home and have it.

I am in Texas, and have had a lot of the sterotypes about Texas and Texans thrown at me from people who think that all Texans are in oil or cattle, that they are all millionaires because of that, that they are cowboys who all walk around wearing cowboy hats and boots. In some parts of the state some of that is true, but not where I am.

Conversely, when people learn I am Australian - alot of them start the whole 'Throw a shrimp on the barbie' comment (thanks Paul!), or ask if I know Crocodile Dundee (ahhh, nooo....he is a movie character, NOT a real person!), and ask if I have had a koala as a pet, and do kangaroos really jump down the main streets of towns. Some people have had trouble understanding me, to the point of my husband having to translate for me (my own father-in-law couldn't understand a word I said the first time I met him, even now, 3yrs later, he still has trouble sometimes).

Also about religion, as Penguin and Vanessa have mentioned, I haven't really met anyone here that doesn't believe in God to some extent. I say sometimes I think I'm the only person in Texas that doesn't believe in God!! Unlike Vanessa though - I don't bite my tongue and refrain from saying things like 'Oh my god' and 'Jesus Christ' or - really Australian here - 'bloody hell!'. Nobody has given me any grief over it - but maybe I haven't been here long enough yet lol! Some people have jokingly told me - 'This is America - start speaking like an American!' - but that won't happen - I am NOT American - and I don't think there's anything wrong with that!!

USCIS

30 Nov 2010 - Sent I-130 to Chicago

1 Dec 2010 - I-130 received at Chicago

18 Apr 2011 - APPROVED!! NOA2 text and email

NVC

29 Apr 2011 - Case entered into the system/Case number assigned; Medical Exam in Sydney

30 Apr 2011 - Police Check Application sent

2 May 2011 - Called NVC and got Invoice ID number

3 May 2011 - Sent DS-3032 email

4 May 2011 - Received email reply from NVC for DS-3032; Received Medical Exam results

5 May 2011 - AOS invoiced and paid

7 May 2011 - AOS package sent; IV invoiced and paid

9 May 2011 - AOS package delivered to NVC according to tracking

20 May 2011 - RFE for missing IV package....still waiting on Police Certificate!

24 May 2011 - Received Police Certificate after 25 days (so much for 7-10!); IV package sent

27 May 2011 - IV package delivered according to tracking

8 Jun 2011 - RFE for original marriage certificate; requested supervisor review since we KNOW it was in the package!

30 Jun 2011 - SIF and CC - FINALLY!!!!

13 Jul 2011 - Interview date assigned! Scheduled for August 9th @ 10am

9 Aug 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Aug 2011 - Visa in hand

24 Aug 2011 - POE @ LAX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I am NOT American - and I don't think there's anything wrong with that!!

:) !!!

p.s. Im american...and I don't believe in God...

*Our K-1 Journey*

*11/7/11 - Sent I-129F Packet

*11/10/11 - Packet delivered to Dallas Lockbox

*11/16/11 - NOA1 Text/Email & Check Cashed

*11/19/11 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received (Notice Date 11/14/11)

*03/28/12 - NOA2 Text/Email (Notice Date 03/27/12)

*04/02/12 - NVC Recieved Package

*04/04/12 - NVC Sent Package to Embassy

*04/17/12 - Embassy emailed Packet 4 to me

*04/21/12 - USPS Interview Binder to Carlos

*04/26/12 - Carlos Medical Exam

*04/27/12 - Carlos receive Interview Binder from me

*05/04/12 - Carlos Interview 8:00 AM (Has to return with two more documents)

*05/14/12 - Carlos return to embassy with missing documents - VISA APPROVED

*05/18/12 - Carlos picks up VISA at Embassy

*05/19/12 - POE MIAMI

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband has only noticed American's are rude compared to Canadians.

I said something on my last visit. I didn't say "Thank you" to the lady on the other side of the drive-thru speaker at Burger King. Instead I thanked her at the window when I paid and again when I got my food.

But it was mentioned "that's kind of rude" and my husband replies "it's the American part of her, all American's are like that."

I do not believe in 'God', I don't attend church and I use their deity's name in vain on many occasions. While it shocks the little old ladies here in the bible belt, it doesn't my friends or family, because we all believe the same thing; Organized religion is a crock, and it's a shame it runs our country.

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I find many of the stereo types to be true ;) arrogance yes, I can't tell you how many times I've been dissed for being Canadian and been told all the problems with my country based on no actual facts...haha its pretty funny actually.

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-24

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-08

Packet 3 Received : 2011-07-02

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-07-03

Packet 4 Received : 2011-07-21

Interview Date : 2011-08-24

Interview Result :Approved!

POE: 2011-09-12

Married: 2011-09-30

AOS filed: 2011-10-17

NOA1: 2011-10-25

Biometrics Appt: 2011-11-09

Case transferred to CSC: 2011-12-23

EAD approval: 2011-12-28

Husband secretly pulled I-864 thus cancelling I-485 application 2012-05-10

F22zm4.png[/center]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I think using the term 'American' can lead to confusion. This country is huge and has so many people. State to state things are so different.

Having said that. When I was in Alaska people were so friendly. It was probably the friendliest place I've ever been. People in Vermont are generally open minded and easy going. The lifestyle here is good. You hear that American children are in gangs and/or illiterate but the teenagers at the public school I work with have surprised me so much as they are polite, self sufficient, confident and able to speak their mind. That is so different from my high school experience of 'sit down and do what you're told child' :)

The health care system really surprised me. I expected a terribly high priced and substandard system. The health care here, in my experience is terrific. But it comes at a price. I am worried about the cost of having kids here...but that's all I'm worried about in that regard. I'm not worried about being kicked out after 48 hours or being treated badly by the nurses,waiting for meds for 24 hours or never seeing a doctor. The NHS can be terrible...again, in my experience :)

Oh...and everything is BIG here. Definitely true! :)

05-2010 I-129F application received by USCIS.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

07-2010 Packet 3 received.

08-2010 Packet 3 returned.

09-2010 Medical in London.

10-2010 Interview at US Embassy in London: Approved.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

11-2010 Married in Vermont.

03-2011 Notice of acceptance of AOS packet.

03-2011 Biometrics appointment in St Albans.

03-2010 Case transfered to California Service Centre.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

:) !!!

p.s. Im american...and I don't believe in God...

:D:thumbs:

I think using the term 'American' can lead to confusion. This country is huge and has so many people. State to state things are so different.

This is true!!

My husband always says - he isn't 'American' - he's Texan lol!!

USCIS

30 Nov 2010 - Sent I-130 to Chicago

1 Dec 2010 - I-130 received at Chicago

18 Apr 2011 - APPROVED!! NOA2 text and email

NVC

29 Apr 2011 - Case entered into the system/Case number assigned; Medical Exam in Sydney

30 Apr 2011 - Police Check Application sent

2 May 2011 - Called NVC and got Invoice ID number

3 May 2011 - Sent DS-3032 email

4 May 2011 - Received email reply from NVC for DS-3032; Received Medical Exam results

5 May 2011 - AOS invoiced and paid

7 May 2011 - AOS package sent; IV invoiced and paid

9 May 2011 - AOS package delivered to NVC according to tracking

20 May 2011 - RFE for missing IV package....still waiting on Police Certificate!

24 May 2011 - Received Police Certificate after 25 days (so much for 7-10!); IV package sent

27 May 2011 - IV package delivered according to tracking

8 Jun 2011 - RFE for original marriage certificate; requested supervisor review since we KNOW it was in the package!

30 Jun 2011 - SIF and CC - FINALLY!!!!

13 Jul 2011 - Interview date assigned! Scheduled for August 9th @ 10am

9 Aug 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Aug 2011 - Visa in hand

24 Aug 2011 - POE @ LAX

In California the only stereotype that really bears out is the one of size (not people - many people are tiiiny here!). Roads, cars, houses, etc. It's no wonder jay-walking is illegal!

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

to Vanessa don't worry you will soon be okay for driving on the wrong side lol and as for speaking proper English do Aussies I spent a lot of time there with Brit Army and holidayed a lot as my family immigrated there I miss things here or pay high prices and cant understand lack of security on banking and shopping with credit and debit cards but know we must act like an American cause thats there way of life and I get like Karen love your accent although it's some times between OZ and Brit and friends who live in Australia from Scotland still have their accents after 30 years so Karen you will proberly keep yours

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

This is true!!

My husband always says - he isn't 'American' - he's Texan lol!!

Haha...my husband too. He's 'Alaskan' :) Same as me saying "Scottish' not 'British'.

05-2010 I-129F application received by USCIS.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

07-2010 Packet 3 received.

08-2010 Packet 3 returned.

09-2010 Medical in London.

10-2010 Interview at US Embassy in London: Approved.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

11-2010 Married in Vermont.

03-2011 Notice of acceptance of AOS packet.

03-2011 Biometrics appointment in St Albans.

03-2010 Case transfered to California Service Centre.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I found that a lot of the stereotypes aren't true. It seems a lot of it is down to where you live. I had the preconceived notions of what Americans were like but here in New England the average person is just like they are at home. Sure there are a few that live up to the stereotypes but the same could be said about people from every country. I'm Scottish but I have found some of the comments on here about the America to be quite offensive. I don't think it is "bad" to be patriotic and fly your nations flag. I think it creates a sense of community and togetherness. There is nothing wrong in loving the place you live and thinking it is the greatest place on earth. It's like every parent thinks their child is adorable even when other people might see it differently! I never planned to live in this country. I moved here to be with my wife but I feel grateful to the country for allowing me to be here and for the people of Massachusetts and Maine (and pretty much everyone I have met) for welcoming me here. I have never found people to be arrogant either. They seem to be interested in learning about other countries and cultures and realize that this country isn't perfect. In this area most people seem to believe in God but church is not a big thing and religion is rarely mentioned. So there isn't a typical American. Everyone is different so don't write off the whole country just based on one little area.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Haha...my husband too. He's 'Alaskan' :) Same as me saying "Scottish' not 'British'.

Scottish first, American second, European third, British fourth. Except when it suits me to be British!

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.