OscarDavid

Sposes (women) last name change

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am a US citizen currently petitioning for my wife who lives in Colombia. I was wondering anyone knew if my spouses last name would change to mine or would she remain with her maiden last name? Our marriage certificates has her with her maiden name but I'm curious to know if US officials will change her last name to mine when she receives her US documents. Thanks

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Take a look at who has to consider the changes. The folks processing the petitions are confused enough. It is MY opinion and after discussing this with some others....Wait for her to get here then do a court order to change her name to married name. There is little harm in waiting to do this verses, a Colombian with a new name, hardly any historic paper trail for an investigation, or the possibility they will not want to put the effort in investigation the name change now but rather later because its more work on them.

Your married. She is your wife. People who dont know either of you will be adjudicating your futures. You be the judge of it. The law will probably read as it is your decision, but dont rule out the law of human laziness or ability to apply common sense.

Bottom line for us: We are waiting for my wife to hit US soil and will do so ASAP when she is here. Remember, it will be easier to explain the change in all her IDs to the person you are sitting in front of during your interview to remove conditions rather then to some stupid 800 line and trail of mail to WHO THE HECK KNOWS???

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

After our marriage in Peru, it was so easy to add my surname to the wifey's (like "Guerra de MacLeod"). She went to the national identity office with her marriage certificate in hand, obtained a new national identity document with her original (pre-marriage) ID number, so she still has a papertrail in case the government wishes to investigate for any reason. After that, I filed the immigrant petition papers for my wife in her married name and everything is done.

Colombia may be different, but I know in Peru it was very easy and did not cost a lot.

Regards,

Magnus

The last name change issue is a cultural issue in the US Marry Women take on there Husband last name in other countries that never happend .

I never change my wife last name to my . It doesnt bother me as in Puerto Rico is common for women to Retain their last name .

I never had any issue getting her on my health insurrance and bank or CC acount as she came to the US on CR1 Visa an as of today she havent change her last name . We talk about it however she knows is no really important for me .

As i say is a cultural issue . Before i get hammer w. some comments i must specify that

Puerto Rico is part of the US and I serve the US ARMY for 9 years i lv my country and i will die for my family and country .

However i decide that she can keep her last name maybe as she become full USC in 5 years will change .

All the best for you on 2012

Filed: Timeline

I have some questions about name change because my wife wants to change after she gets here also.

1. How exactly does one go about doing it?

2. Will her passport from her native country become invalid once her name changes?

3. I want to get her on my insurance ASAP when she gets here, will a name change after I do this complicate it?

I have some questions about name change because my wife wants to change after she gets here also.

1. How exactly does one go about doing it?

2. Will her passport from her native country become invalid once her name changes?

3. I want to get her on my insurance ASAP when she gets here, will a name change after I do this complicate it?

1) There are several methods with different timelines and costs. A) wait until the next step in the immigration process and change her legal name that way--free, but the time may be very long; B) get a court ordered name change--very fast, but it does cost; C) apply for a new GC (this assumes you already have one)--is a bit slow and costs around $340 I think (too lazy to look it up on the USCIS website)

2) passport will still be valid, but she will either have to get a new one to use her married name to travel or she will have to use her maiden name on all international travel documents

3) This is ruled by the almightly SSN not name. Until she has a SSN it will depend on the insurance company as to whether she will be added or not.

My wife is using her maiden name and most likely will forever as she gains nothing by changing it--people will ask her "How do you spell that?" for her lastname or mine and hers is a bit easier to pronounce :D . This is up to you and your wife. The name change does not make it easier or harder with USCIS.

Good luck,

Dave

In the UK i didnt have to legaly change my name, when i got married in the US they asked me at the court house what name i would like to go by and said when i get home to just use my marriage liscence as proof of a name change. When entering the country make sure that her last names match her passport and her documents though! (it doesnt matter which one she uses aslong as everything matches) I had to get a new passport after i got married so i could fly back to the states for a visit.

February 2010: Met online via social networking site

1st July 2010: Met for the first time in Lake Charles, LA [11 days]

9th August 2010: Got Engaged!

September 2010: Met for the second time in Lake Charles, LA [2 weeks]

December 2010: Met for the third time in Lake Charles, LA [3 months]

18th February 2011: Got Married!

May 2011: Met for the fourth time in London, UK [2 weeks]

CR-1 Visa

USCIS

21st July 2011 - 14th December 2011

September 2012: Met for the fith time in Lake Charles, LA [3 months]

NVC

4th January 2012 - 23th January 2012

EMBASSY

25th January 2012 - 23rd March 2012

NEW LIFE IN THE USA

5th April 2012: POE: Houston, TX, USA!!

7th May 2012: Greencard arrived in mail

Remove the Conditions on Residence Petition

USCIS

April 1st - Present

1st April 2014: Filed I-751 (with divorce waiver)

4th April 2014: Received NOA (1 year extension)

April 20th 2014: Filed for divorce

12th May 2015: Received second biometric appointment letter due to rescheduling my first appointment

May 28th 2014: Biometrics taken in Louisville, KY

October 31 2014: Received RFE requesting final divorce judgment

22nd January 2015: Received final divorce judgment & submitted to VSC

25th January 2015: Called USCIS Military hotline to enquire on gaining an extension in order to enlist in United States Army & was advised to make infopass appointment at local office as processing will take longer than 6 months on my application.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Do you want her to change her last name? this is an interesting topic because I've had this discussion with my wife and she wants both her maiden and mine. I think that's stupid. Either choose mine or keep yours.

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate: Bogota, Colombia

Marriage: 2010-07-21

I-130 Sent: 2010-10-02

I-130 NOA1: 2010-10-10

I-130 Approved: 2010-11-22

NVC Received Payments: 06-23-2011

NVC Rejected Packet Due to Errors: 06-30-2011

NVC Packet Resent: 2011-09-01

NVC Received: 2011-09-19

Case Completed: 2011-09-21

5 Day trip to see my wife...chevere!: 10/27/2011

Trip Ends, sad goodbye 11/2/2011

Interview Date Appointed 11/2/2011

Medical Exam 12/15/2011

Interview Date 12/22/2011

(Approved!)

Wife comes home 01/19/12

Nov. 22nd 2010...Thus began the immigration nightmare...AGAIN

Timeline

Do you want her to change her last name? this is an interesting topic because I've had this discussion with my wife and she wants both her maiden and mine. I think that's stupid. Either choose mine or keep yours.

An interesting topic...yes. My wife and I talked about what name she wished to use. She is proud of her family names so she kept all her names...then she's proud of our marriage too...so she added my name. It makes for a long name and we're gonna see what abbreviations are available. Long name, but she's happy! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Here is another question related to that topic. I am the USC and I did change my name after getting married. Will it make our petition any easier? Will the fact that I've done that help to indicate a legitimate marriage? Anyone know if it matters?

12/08/2011 Married

02/06/2012 I-130 Packet sent via FedEx

02/09/2012 NOA1- case sent to VSC!

07/09/2012 NOA2

07/11/2012 case received at NVC

07/27/2012 NVC case number and IIN received

07/27/2012 DS-3032 sent via email

08/01/2012 AOS bill received via email, paid online

08/01/2012 Beneficiary received DS-3032 form via email

08/02/2012 AOS bill shows paid

08/03/2012 AOS package sent via FedEx

08/03/2012 Email acceptance of DS-3032 from NVC

08/06/2012 IV Bill received

08/06/2012 IV bill paid

08/06/2012 AOS package received

08/07/2012 IV bill shows paid

08/09/2012 IV package sent

08/09/2012 AOS package accepted

08/20/2012 IV package accepted

08/20/2012 NVC Case Complete

09/14/2012 Interview date assigned

09/26/2012 Medical in Barbados

10/01/2012 Interview in Barbados

xx/xx/2012 POE- San Juan, PR

Timeline

Here is another question related to that topic. I am the USC and I did change my name after getting married. Will it make our petition any easier? Will the fact that I've done that help to indicate a legitimate marriage? Anyone know if it matters?

It might be helpful, I changed my name also and the process was not that long as I thought. My best wishes to you!! :)

Teddy and Pika

26, November 2009: Teddy meet me in Peru for the 1st time!!
04, April 2010: Our Engagement ♥♥
16, March 2011: We got Married!!! :) :)

27, May 2011: I-130 Sent
31, May 2011: I-130 NOA1
13, September 2011: I-130 APPROVED!!
06, October 2011: NVC Received package
23, October 2011: NVC send Instruction Package
29, November 2011: Case completed at NVC
02, January 2012: Medical Test
11, January 2012: Interview date - APPROVED!!! YAY!!!!! :) :) :)
14, January 2012: VISA in hand!!! YAYYYYY!!!
11, March 2012: My Teddy picks me up!!
14, March 2012: Date of travel to USA!!! Finally with my Teddy ♥♥♥♥
10, April 2012: Social Security Card Received yay!!
13, April 2012: Welcome Letter Received :) :)
17, April 2012: Green Card Received :) :) :) :)

18, June 2012: I'm 7 weeks pregnant!!! and we saw our TeddyPika baby on
the ultrasound for the 1st time!!!! :)♥♥ Yay!!
16, July 2012: We bought my car!!! yay!! :) :)
13, August 2012: 14 Weeks pregnant and the wonderful ultrasound! It's a baby boy!
16, August 2012: Got my Florida Driver License!! Finally! :) :)
24, July 2014: Green Card conditions done!!!! No interview needed!! Yay! :dancing:

09, September 2014: 10 weeks pregnant! Baby #2 is on the way!!! (L)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am a US citizen currently petitioning for my wife who lives in Colombia. I was wondering anyone knew if my spouses last name would change to mine or would she remain with her maiden last name? Our marriage certificates has her with her maiden name but I'm curious to know if US officials will change her last name to mine when she receives her US documents. Thanks

If her passport is in her maiden name the visa will be issued in her maiden name. USCIS doesn't arbitrarily change peoples names.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

We had this discussion, I think she will change to her name a middle and mine last, we will see if we can do it at the AOS interview.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.