NY_BX

No children allowed wedding, how do you tackle this?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

hahahaha

It doesn't sound like you or your mother have a problem with telling people exactly how you feel. So I don't understand why you came here asking us whether or not we thought a "childless" wedding/reception is "unorthodox".

Maybe you just wanted to test the reaction?

If so, I think you got what you came for. Now go have a lovely time and continue to do it your way - just skip the drama you say you don't want.

:thumbs:

Actually, no. I wasn't testing anyone. I really didn't know how to tackle telling people "no children." Most of my friends are divorced; they married very young and their weddings had children as guests. So I've never been invited, let alone participated, in a wedding where there's an age limit. In fact, since I am so blunt, that's why I needed y'alls opinion because I wanted to choose my words wisely. And I am thankful because I got good advice.

In my uncle's wife case, she's a sicko....

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

I had another thought about your ceremony.

I'd suggest you somehow get the word out about your little cigar rolling party. In other words, make sure people have the option to leave before this all gets started. It's one thing for your friends to wish you well. It's another to have them pi$$ed off at you from the clink just because they didn't understand why the cops showed up.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

I had another thought about your ceremony.

I'd suggest you somehow get the word out about your little cigar rolling party. In other words, make sure people have the option to leave before this all gets started. It's one thing for your friends to wish you well. It's another to have them pi$$ed off at you from the clink just because they didn't understand why the cops showed up.

We're not smoking weed! I actually have 2 artisans roll cigars, we have a batucada, we have a salsa and reggae band and we have alcohol in copious amounts. Although that doesn't prevent the cops from showing up.

My wedding ceremony will be in New York. The reception will be in Puerto Rico.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

did yer mom say that 'to you' or to the aunt?

FaceBook Rocks !!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

did yer mom say that 'to you' or to the aunt?

FaceBook Rocks !!

she's not my aunt. she married my uncle...

My mom told her that, not me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

We are planning to use this site to customize each one individually with a name

http://www.says-it.com/concertticket/

Each person will have one and we plan to make it very clear that no ticket means no entry. I am hoping that the subliminal message of this looking official will help. Plus, it might be a cool souvineer for some of them.

I don't know if you can publicly (on FB or emails) start sending videos of unsupervised kids at weddings causing problems and lament about it. Example: "Oh no! I met this lady and I an terrified of any kids at my wedding after seeing this. It was her favorite niece and is always so well behaved. The stress just got to her!"

Of course, some people CAN'T figure out a hint. It might be worth a shot.

It would also be good for someone else to be designated the bouncer for such folks--that way, you don't have to deal with the stress of booting someone out on that day. If you have someone in the family that loves to be "in your face" then maybe that would work out perfect for dealing with the inconsiderate folks.

Edited by EminTX

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well she's your Aunt BECAUSE she married your Uncle... or do you make this distinction because you don't like her and Aunt denotes a relationship? Or do you only call your parents siblings "Aunt" and "Uncle"?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Heck, it's YOUR wedding so it's YOUR call. I would put it right there in the invitations "Adult Reception - NO children"

If somebody can't respect your wishes, you don't need them there in the first place.

05/2007 - got married in Germany

05/2007 - filed I-130 via DCF in Frankfurt

08/2007 - interview to prove bona fide marriage

09/2007 - hubby PCSed to GA

10/2007 - hubby deployed to Iraq

04/2008 - hubby on RnR in Germany

08/2008 - received CR-1 visa

12/2008 - flew to GA alone to welcome home the hubs

09/2009 - PCSed to CA

03/2010 - we're pregnant!

06/2010 - applied for German "BBG" to retain German citizenship during naturalization

08/2010 - BBG granted

09/2010 - filed ROC

12/2010 - received 10 year GC

12/2010 - our little miracle is born!!!

01/2011 - PCSed to Germany

01/2012 - filed N-400 for overseas naturalization

03-15-2012 - Best of Both Worlds, I'm a dual citizen :-)

Timeline

We are planning to use this site to customize each one individually with a name

http://www.says-it.com/concertticket/

Each person will have one and we plan to make it very clear that no ticket means no entry. I am hoping that the subliminal message of this looking official will help. Plus, it might be a cool souvineer for some of them.

I don't know if you can publicly (on FB or emails) start sending videos of unsupervised kids at weddings causing problems and lament about it. Example: "Oh no! I met this lady and I an terrified of any kids at my wedding after seeing this. It was her favorite niece and is always so well behaved. The stress just got to her!"

Of course, some people CAN'T figure out a hint. It might be worth a shot.

It would also be good for someone else to be designated the bouncer for such folks--that way, you don't have to deal with the stress of booting someone out on that day. If you have someone in the family that loves to be "in your face" then maybe that would work out perfect for dealing with the inconsiderate folks.

OMG! This is the BEST idea! No ticket, no entry! LOL!

Thank you so much!

Well she's your Aunt BECAUSE she married your Uncle... or do you make this distinction because you don't like her and Aunt denotes a relationship? Or do you only call your parents siblings "Aunt" and "Uncle"?

I only call blood related relatives by their given title. And if they become a pain, I relate to them by name.....

So, yes, she's not my aunt. She's my uncle's wife.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yer Mom is Cool ! Can I friend her on FaceBook ?

(Sorry, I don't use Facebook - but yer Mom is still cool ! )

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

OMG! This is the BEST idea! No ticket, no entry! LOL!

Thank you so much!

I only call blood related relatives by their given title. And if they become a pain, I relate to them by name.....

So, yes, she's not my aunt. She's my uncle's wife.

I like the ticket idea too! I'd make sure there's a list at the door as well. Oooo you could do hand stamps like a club if they need to go to their car or something :P

Yeah that makes sense re the Aunt/Uncle stuff. We have to do the titles regardless of whether blood related. Once we get older we're allowed to just REFER to them as first name but when addressing we have to be polite and use their "title".

**Edit - Can't say I ever had to call a non-related (by blood or marriage) person by Uncle or Aunt but I've noticed that's quite common here for friends of the parents to be given that "title"... I think it's odd.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

I like the ticket idea too! I'd make sure there's a list at the door as well. Oooo you could do hand stamps like a club if they need to go to their car or something :P

Yeah that makes sense re the Aunt/Uncle stuff. We have to do the titles regardless of whether blood related. Once we get older we're allowed to just REFER to them as first name but when addressing we have to be polite and use their "title".

**Edit - Can't say I ever had to call a non-related (by blood or marriage) person by Uncle or Aunt but I've noticed that's quite common here for friends of the parents to be given that "title"... I think it's odd.

In my culture (although I've seen it in other communities as well) we give the title to who's earned it by their own merit. So, my best friend has 2 children and they call me aunt. She, however, has big problems with her BIL (sister's husband). They call him by his name.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Just make it clear. "Adult event or reception" or something like that. Also remember to just put individual names on the envelope, no "& family." I also think it would be good to put something like this on the response card: "Although the bride and groom love children, this celebration is only appropriate for those 21 years of age or older."

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Timeline

Just make it clear. "Adult event or reception" or something like that. Also remember to just put individual names on the envelope, no "& family." I also think it would be good to put something like this on the response card: "Although the bride and groom love children, this celebration is only appropriate for those 21 years of age or older."

The wording is very polite and to the point. Thanks for the suggestion.