jen1217

how do my husband adopt my kids?

15 posts in this topic

sorry i dont know where to post my question i hope i am in hte right forum,anyway I am married to USC and he is planning to adopt my kids so that I can bring them in the US once I get there, my question is... where do we file for adoption is it here in the Phils or US, i hope i can do it now here while im waiting for my petition approved. hope i can get some advice on this...

TIA!!

All I know, is that I need you... I need you in my life as much as I need food or water or air to breathe - for the longest time, I've had this thirst deep inside... only to be known and understood and be loved for who I am. I have longed for someone, someone like you - to share my life with... all the ups and downs and everything in between. then out of no where - you walked into my life, quenching my thirst, satisfying my longing. and I know from every thing with in - that you are the one... you're the one I've been waiting for all this time. I want and I need you - more than I can usually find words to say... But today and always - please believe and know that you're the one for me and I'll hold you close and I'll never want to let you go...

June 2010: Met online via dating site

Oct.25,2010: He came here to meet me and my family and proposed in a lunch organized by my sister and me of course!

Nov.6, 2010: He went back to US

April 26, 2011: Came back for our wedding

May 17, 2011: The big day!!! We finally exchanged "I DO's"

Aug. 8, 2011: Sent complete Package of I-130

Aug. 26,2011: NOA1 (it was a very stressful long wait!)

March 1, 2012: NOA2 the moment we've been waiting finally here!!!

March 20, 2012: I called NVC got our MNL case# and IIN and sent my DS3032 via email

March 22, 2012: Received 2 Emails from NVC PAOSF I-130 and ACL

March 24, 2012: AOS paid online

March 27, 2012: AOS PAYMENT ACCEPTED

april 04, 2012: AOS PACKAGE ON ITS WAY TO NVC

April 04, 2012: IV bill paid

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It would be easier, I believe, to bring them to the USA first and then adopt. Assuming your kids are under 18, your husband can file as their step dad, and it will take about the same amount of time to bring them as a spousal visa (8-10 months). Then once you are all here, do the adoption as per the state law of where you live.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

It would be easier, I believe, to bring them to the USA first and then adopt. Assuming your kids are under 18, your husband can file as their step dad, and it will take about the same amount of time to bring them as a spousal visa (8-10 months). Then once you are all here, do the adoption as per the state law of where you live.

ty for response and yeah my kids are 16,7 and 5 so i hope we can petition my son before he turns 19. :D

All I know, is that I need you... I need you in my life as much as I need food or water or air to breathe - for the longest time, I've had this thirst deep inside... only to be known and understood and be loved for who I am. I have longed for someone, someone like you - to share my life with... all the ups and downs and everything in between. then out of no where - you walked into my life, quenching my thirst, satisfying my longing. and I know from every thing with in - that you are the one... you're the one I've been waiting for all this time. I want and I need you - more than I can usually find words to say... But today and always - please believe and know that you're the one for me and I'll hold you close and I'll never want to let you go...

Oct.25,2010: He came here to meet me and my family and proposed in a lunch organized by my sister and me of course!

March 20, 2012: I called NVC got our MNL case# and IIN and sent my DS3032 via email

ty for response and yeah my kids are 16,7 and 5 so i hope we can petition my son before he turns 19. :D

your husband can file now as their step dad.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This is correct. He doesn't need to adopt them in order to petition for them. He is their step-father under US immigration law, and he can petition for them now.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

oh i see... can my hubby claim them on his ITR as his dependents now?

Timeline

oh i see... can my hubby claim them on his ITR as his dependents now?

They'll need Social Security Numbers or Individual Taxpayer ID (ITIN) numbers first. Until they come to the US and have green cards they won't be eligible for a Social Security number, but they ARE eligible for an ITIN as a dependent of a US citizen. Your husband will need to send applications to the IRS to get ITIN numbers for them. With the ITIN numbers he'll be able to claim them as dependents on his tax return.

They'll need Social Security Numbers or Individual Taxpayer ID (ITIN) numbers first. Until they come to the US and have green cards they won't be eligible for a Social Security number, but they ARE eligible for an ITIN as a dependent of a US citizen. Your husband will need to send applications to the IRS to get ITIN numbers for them. With the ITIN numbers he'll be able to claim them as dependents on his tax return.

thank you so much for that info. :thumbs:

and one more thing what proof do they need from my hubby if theres any thanks again :)

Timeline

and one more thing what proof do they need from my hubby if theres any thanks again :)

Proof for the petition, or proof for the ITIN?

Generally, to prove a step-child relationship he would need a birth certificate indicating the parents of the child, and a marriage certificate indicating he's married to the child's biological parent. Substantially more evidence is required when a step-father is filing a petition for their step-children.

To get instructions for obtaining an ITIN for the children start here:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

To get instructions for filing a petition for the children start here:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/childpet

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

weekend is coming up - seems the two of you will be busy filling out the I-130 forms.

Remember - it's one per child, one fee per child as well.

you may want to consider including an expedite request letter with each I-130 form, as the mother (you) is already in the USA.

don't forget the G-1145 form, as well - one for each I-130.

ps - i think your adoption plan wasn't so well thought out, as they can get other status via the immigration system. also look into the cspa, as 2 of them might qualify for uscitizenship automatically after arriving in usa.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 3 weeks later...

Can we claim my kids on my husband ITR eventhough they are not here yet?since you mentioned about ITIN..hmmm pretty much interested to know more about it.

Edited by Ken & Marife

12/30/2005 Visited Philippines for a Friends wedding and met Marife

06/04/2006 Made another trip to see my beautiful Marife!

01/27/2007 Visited Marife.....Proposed and she said YES!!

04/28/2007 Sent I-129F to TSC.....and the VJ begins

05/08/2007 Received NOA1 From CSC

09/10/2007 K1 Petition Approved!!!!

09/11/2007 (NOA2) K1 Petition Approval Received via email!!!

09/14/2007 (NOA2) K1 Petition Approval Received via postal mail!!!

10/24/2007 NVC Received Petition!!

10/26/2007 NVC Sent Petition to USE in Manila

11/07/2007 Medical Exam and Interview Date listed at Embassy Website

11/28/2007 St Lukes Medical Exam

12/05/2007 Interview with Consolate Officer at USE in Manila(Approved!!!)

12/26/2007 Visa Delivered by Delbros

02/04/2008 Arrived in U.S.

02/14/2008 Married on Valentines Day!!

02/25/2009 Mailed AOS Application

03/04/2009 Case Transfered to CSC

03/27/2009 Biometrics

05/01/2009 Received Approval/Welcome letter

05/02/2009 RECEIVED GREEN CARD!!!! by mail.

Timeline

Can we claim my kids on my husband ITR eventhough they are not here yet?since you mentioned about ITIN..hmmm pretty much interested to know more about it.

Follow the link I provided above for the IRS info page on the ITIN.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

In Sweden where me and my son live, at least for now, we were told to file for the adoption over here. Now we know that my son will be able to come with me anyway and we have already started that process..

But since my husband and my son has grown so close an adoption seems natural after all. But with that said you can still do the adoption in the USA too but it might be issues with the biological father that might be easiest to deal with while still being in your country.

Good luck!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Please be aware that adoption may terminate the legal relationship between a child and a parent. This may affect future plans for the child to petition the non-immigrating parent later.

For example: US citizen step-father adopts his wife's child. Generally, the biological father will need to give up his parental rights in order for the step-father to adopt the child. The adoption terminates the child's legal relationship with his/her biological father. The biological father will no longer have any rights to make decision for the child. In addition, the adopted child can never petition for the biological father to immigrate to the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.