Nunka

What can I do?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone. I hope, someone can help... I have been in the US 15 months... I came here in J-1 visa for 3 months. My visa was terminated in 1 months,because I didn't show up to work. Since that I am illegal. I didn't do anything for changing my status yet... I know marriage to the USC can be the way...but I don't want to do it just for papers...I leave with a person who has his visa...Is any other way to become a legal... I know, I am the one who put myself in this situation, and I don't want wait any more...Please if anyone can help...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Only ways you can think is to find an employer who will file for a work visa for you or take part in diversity visa lottery and win (easier said than done), however if you can incur ban for overstay which is exactly what are you doing now, your chances for adjustment of status will be zero. Overstays are forgiven to US citizen spouses only.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I dont think either of them would work, since you are already in the country and have stayed illegally for 15 months, even when employer files for you there is no status for them to change to same would apply to DV lottery too.

You will have to go back and then come again to get a new status.

Hello everyone. I hope, someone can help... I have been in the US 15 months... I came here in J-1 visa for 3 months. My visa was terminated in 1 months,because I didn't show up to work. Since that I am illegal. I didn't do anything for changing my status yet... I know marriage to the USC can be the way...but I don't want to do it just for papers...I leave with a person who has his visa...Is any other way to become a legal... I know, I am the one who put myself in this situation, and I don't want wait any more...Please if anyone can help...

Immigration shouldn't play any part in your decision to get married...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Only ways you can think is to find an employer who will file for a work visa for you or take part in diversity visa lottery and win (easier said than done), however if you can incur ban for overstay which is exactly what are you doing now, your chances for adjustment of status will be zero. Overstays are forgiven to US citizen spouses only.

she won't be approved for a Diversity lottery because she has already accumulated unauthorized stay here, so that's a definate no. i don't know about work visa after she overstayed, but my guess is a "no" also.

like you said, marrying a USC is the only way out, which is easier said then done.. after all, who wants to enter a marriage with a definate possibility of a divorce?

she said she came here on J1.. she needs to make sure she doesn't have a 2 year HRR, otherwise she's "screwed" either way, unless she decides to go through filiing a wavier, but that's just more paperwork...

event.png

Filed: Timeline

she won't be approved for a Diversity lottery because she has already accumulated unauthorized stay here, so that's a definate no. i don't know about work visa after she overstayed, but my guess is a "no" also.

like you said, marrying a USC is the only way out, which is easier said then done.. after all, who wants to enter a marriage with a definate possibility of a divorce?

she said she came here on J1.. she needs to make sure she doesn't have a 2 year HRR, otherwise she's "screwed" either way, unless she decides to go through filiing a wavier, but that's just more paperwork...

I don't quite understand when airplanes stopped leaving the US for her country.....what is preventing the OP from living up to the terms of the visa privilege she obviously 'fibbed' to obtain? The only person who can be a responsible adult in this situation is the OP....and it sounds like she wants somebody to hold her hand and dole out a green card....for no other reason than the totally illogical ones she gave.

Filed: Other Timeline

There is really nothing you can do.

You are not eligible for a visa based on the Green Card lottery, based on your overstay. The same is true for a work visa.

The moment you leave the U.S. you will trigger a 10-year bar. That means the only way you will ever set foot on U.S. soil again is based on an I-130 petition from your U.S. citizen husband. You will never be able to get another non-immigrant visa to the U.S. again as long as you live.

Basically, the 10-year bar means: "hell no!" After the bar is served, you can apply for another visa, such as a B2 or J-1, and it will be approved or denied. Based on your history of overstay it will be denied, 100%, I can assure you that. So if you want to stay in the U.S. or if you ever want to come back, better get married to a U.S. citizen, not a Green Card holder, not a visa holder . . . only a U.S citizen whom you would marry anyway. If you have not found such a guy yet, your only option would be to hang in until you do. It is highly unlikely that another amnesty will become law anytime soon.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

I don't quite understand when airplanes stopped leaving the US for her country.....what is preventing the OP from living up to the terms of the visa privilege she obviously 'fibbed' to obtain? The only person who can be a responsible adult in this situation is the OP....and it sounds like she wants somebody to hold her hand and dole out a green card....for no other reason than the totally illogical ones she gave.

you are absolutely right, but there are different circumstances and a lot of people, after living here for a long time, don't want to go back, because simply, US had became their home.. an illegal one, but still..

it's not that easy to just pick up and leave and go back to a gloomy reality. in some cases, living here illegally beats living back home.. so don't judge the OP when you don't know her story.

it's true that she has no other options but to marry a citizen, but some people aren't lucky to find a person to fall in love with.. i, personally, wouldn't do it just for the papers, but to each their own..

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

www.match.com

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

you are absolutely right, but there are different circumstances and a lot of people, after living here for a long time, don't want to go back, because simply, US had became their home.. an illegal one, but still..

it's not that easy to just pick up and leave and go back to a gloomy reality. in some cases, living here illegally beats living back home.. so don't judge the OP when you don't know her story.

it's true that she has no other options but to marry a citizen, but some people aren't lucky to find a person to fall in love with.. i, personally, wouldn't do it just for the papers, but to each their own..

Sorry, but I vehemently disgree with illegal immigration and visa cheats. She knew she had zero plans to live up to the terms of her visa (since she decided NOT to show up for work) and is now looking for yet another shortcut to, in essence, jump the queue ahead of all of those who are currently obeying our laws and regulations. Why on God's green earth should anyone reach out to someone who has not been truthful from the outset? Why do you think it's ok to lie on visa applications and ignore our immigration laws? I cannot think of a single reason.

No one on this site is supposed to help people circumvent the system....giving the OP anything other than directions to the nearest airport would be aiding and abetting her behavior, which I find deplorable.

Timeline

Sorry, but I vehemently disgree with illegal immigration and visa cheats. She knew she had zero plans to live up to the terms of her visa (since she decided NOT to show up for work) and is now looking for yet another shortcut to, in essence, jump the queue ahead of all of those who are currently obeying our laws and regulations. Why on God's green earth should anyone reach out to someone who has not been truthful from the outset? Why do you think it's ok to lie on visa applications and ignore our immigration laws? I cannot think of a single reason.

No one on this site is supposed to help people circumvent the system....giving the OP anything other than directions to the nearest airport would be aiding and abetting her behavior, which I find deplorable.

I am in no way condoning what she's doing or planning on doing and I understand your frustration, but every story is different, if she is not working or using government benefits, just sits there and wastes her time, then leave her be. There are thousands of illegals in this country, what they do on their own time is between them and INS I guess..

As to what she can do to get out of her situation that she deliberately put herself in, people had already told her everything.

event.png

I am in no way condoning what she's doing or planning on doing and I understand your frustration, but every story is different, if she is not working or using government benefits, just sits there and wastes her time, then leave her be. There are thousands of illegals in this country, what they do on their own time is between them and INS I guess..

As to what she can do to get out of her situation that she deliberately put herself in, people had already told her everything.

It is highly unlikely she is sitting around doing nothing....she did not arrive in our country with $40,000 or more in her possession (she has been here 15+ months by her own admission), so she has to be working without permission (thus stealing a job from an American citizen....another action I find deplorable).

I do not accept silly excuses from irresponsible people who cannot or will not obey our laws. For example, what if the OP winds up in the emergency ward? Guess who pays? Yep...you and I, thus she would be stealing benefits from the American taxpayers. Now, if you wish to pony up and pay for her medical expenses, please, be my guest. But I doubt you will....and it is not ethically correct to have me and others shoulder this expense.

If people refuse to obey our laws, what is the point of having them? We cannot just open our borders to anyone and everyone on the planet...already our schools are filled to overflowing with illegal children, our hospitals are swamped and many facing bankruptcy thanks to illegals who take from the system (and our pockets) and refuse to pay back a nickel. Our highways are clogged with unlicensed and uninsured illegals....who cause numerous wrecks and walk away by and large from the havoc they caused.

The OP merits nothing but a taxi ride back to the airport. She, along with 14-15M others like her, continuously whine about how badly they want to be legal...but their whining only begins AFTER they have literally scammed their way into my country. That makes their current claims a bit disingenuous (and hypocritical). One of the hallmarks of being a responsible adult is to adhere to and obey the laws of the state or country in which that same individual is currently exchanging oxygen......being unwilling to do so does not merit any sort of a reward.

Timeline

It is highly unlikely she is sitting around doing nothing....she did not arrive in our country with $40,000 or more in her possession (she has been here 15+ months by her own admission), so she has to be working without permission (thus stealing a job from an American citizen....another action I find deplorable).

I do not accept silly excuses from irresponsible people who cannot or will not obey our laws. For example, what if the OP winds up in the emergency ward? Guess who pays? Yep...you and I, thus she would be stealing benefits from the American taxpayers. Now, if you wish to pony up and pay for her medical expenses, please, be my guest. But I doubt you will....and it is not ethically correct to have me and others shoulder this expense.

If people refuse to obey our laws, what is the point of having them? We cannot just open our borders to anyone and everyone on the planet...already our schools are filled to overflowing with illegal children, our hospitals are swamped and many facing bankruptcy thanks to illegals who take from the system (and our pockets) and refuse to pay back a nickel. Our highways are clogged with unlicensed and uninsured illegals....who cause numerous wrecks and walk away by and large from the havoc they caused.

The OP merits nothing but a taxi ride back to the airport. She, along with 14-15M others like her, continuously whine about how badly they want to be legal...but their whining only begins AFTER they have literally scammed their way into my country. That makes their current claims a bit disingenuous (and hypocritical). One of the hallmarks of being a responsible adult is to adhere to and obey the laws of the state or country in which that same individual is currently exchanging oxygen......being unwilling to do so does not merit any sort of a reward.

I mean you're absolutely right, but some people see US as a land of opportunity and don't know what exactly it takes to immigrate on legal grounds.. im just trying to be compassionate as a person and not bash her for being illegal.. she's not first and is certainly not last..

Again, im not trying to argue with you, I just look at the other side of the coin...

As far as money goes, maybe her parents are helping her out, no?

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I mean you're absolutely right, but some people see US as a land of opportunity and don't know what exactly it takes to immigrate on legal grounds.. im just trying to be compassionate as a person and not bash her for being illegal.. she's not first and is certainly not last..

Again, im not trying to argue with you, I just look at the other side of the coin...

As far as money goes, maybe her parents are helping her out, no?

There is no ground for compassion... if thats the case then the whole world is eligble for the same compassion... it just needs to stop there are plenty of illegals already in the country and it needs to be stopped at some point.

Someone who came to this country and within first month stops showing up for work and now is looking for DV lottery or work visa so they are very well aware of the immigration laws and they are also looking to jump the hoops to continue to live here.

I 100% agree with Noah... OP is very well aware of the immigration rules and regulation and was aware from day one that (s)he would be violaing their visa terms by not showing up for the work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.