Bad_Daddy

Survey: 1 in 4 US women victims of severe violence

43 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/survey-1-4-us-women-victims-severe-violence-170059038.html

By MIKE STOBBE | AP – 47 mins ago

ATLANTA (AP) — It's a startling number: 1 in 4 women surveyed by the government say they were violently attacked by their husbands or boyfriends.

Experts in domestic violence don't find it too surprising, although some aspects of the survey may have led to higher numbers than are sometimes reported.

Even so, a government official who oversaw the research called the results "astounding."

"It's the first time we've had this kind of estimate" on the prevalence of intimate partner violence, said Linda Degutis of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The survey, released by the CDC Wednesday, marks the beginning of a new annual project to look at how many women say they've been abused.

One expert called the new report's estimate on rape and attempted rape "extremely high" — with 1 in 5 women saying they were victims. About half of those cases involved intimate partners. No documentation was sought to verify the women's claims, which were made anonymously.

But advocates say the new rape numbers are plausible.

"It's a major problem that often is under-estimated and over-looked," said Linda James, director of health for Futures Without Violence, a San Francisco-based organization that advocates against domestic abuse.

The CDC report is based on a randomized telephone survey of about 9,000 women and 7,400 men.

Among the findings:

— As many as 29 million women say they have suffered severe and frightening physical violence from a boyfriend, spouse or other intimate partner.

— That includes being choked, beaten, stabbed, shot, punched, slammed against something or hurt by hair-pulling.

— That number grows to 36 million if slapping, pushing and shoving are counted.

— Almost half of the women who reported rape or attempted rape said it happened when they were 17 or younger.

—As many as 1 in 3 women have experienced rape, physical violence or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetimes, compared to about 1 in 10 men.

—Both men and women who had been menaced or attacked in these ways reported more health problems. Female victims, in particular, had significantly higher rates of irritable bowel syndrome, asthma, frequent headaches and difficulty sleeping.

—Certain states seemed to have higher reports of sexual violence than others. Alaska, Oregon and Nevada were among the highest in rapes and attempted rapes of women, and Virginia and Tennessee were among the lowest.

Several of the CDC numbers are higher than those of other sources. For example, the CDC study suggests that 1.3 million women have suffered rape, attempted rape or had sex forced on them in the previous year. That statistic is more than seven times greater than what was reported by a Department of Justice household survey conducted last year.

The CDC rape numbers seem "extremely high," but there may be several reasons for the differences, including how the surveys were done, who chose to participate and how "rape" and other types of assault were defined or interpreted, said Shannan Catalano, a statistician with the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

"It is an evolving field, and everyone is striving to get a handle on what's the best estimate," Catalano said.

The CDC's numbers don't seem surprising to people who work with abused women.

"I think that the awareness is growing," said Kim Frndak, community educator for the Women's Rescue Center to End Domestic Violence, which operates a shelter on the outskirts of Atlanta.

"More and more people are really saying, 'Oh, this is something that we need to pay attention to as well,' because it's your sister, it's your mother, it's your daughter, it's your son, it's your brother. Someone in your own circle is being affected by domestic violence, and the effects can be devastating," she said.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it's time that the justice department increases the penalties for domestic violence. Men who beat their wives are disgusting pieces of trash and should be dealt with accordingly. I would say a bullet in the back of the skull would be an appropriate sentence for domestic violence, but I have been accused of being overly harsh.

I think it's time that the justice department increases the penalties for domestic violence. Men who beat their wives are disgusting pieces of trash and should be dealt with accordingly. I would say a bullet in the back of the skull would be an appropriate sentence for domestic violence, but I have been accused of being overly harsh.

While their at it they can start prosecuting cops seeing how they walk more time than naught in a DV case even though they are the biggest perps in that regard. They can also actually look into a DV case instead of her word against his word. Of course that would require someone to actually investigate and do their job and we know that's not going to happen anytime soon.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Did this study ask them if they deserved it? "Did you at any point just shut the f'k up? Especially after he told you to?"

Or how about this zinger, "When he raped you were you alone with him in a quiet place? Did you initiate contact?"

Complete BS. You can steer anyone toward the answers you want over the phone simply by asking them pointed questions.

And Rob, the reason we can't make the penalty for domestic violence more severe is because for every piece of sh!t that beats his wife there's a wife who keeps asking to get hit. Perhaps we shouldn't penalize people for having unhealthy relationships... we should give them the support they need to make better decisions about their lifestyle choices. "Oh honey, I know he hit you again. But, that's what happens when you go back to him over and over. Perhaps you should date that Johnny kid from down the street with the good job and parents who are still happily married."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

They talked about this survey on world news tonight and even the Feds said they thought the numbers on this are skewed. I wonder if initiating early morning sex while she's still sleeping counts as "rape" ?

sigbet.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Men also experience domestic violence. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the women claiming they experienced violence were the violent ones themselves or violent as well as the man.

Men also experience domestic violence. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the women claiming they experienced violence were the violent ones themselves or violent as well as the man.

My ex put over a half dozen stitches in my ear while I was laying in bed and the cops never even questioned her. Now if that isn't a DV, I don't know what one is. Two different rules...one for men, and one for women. And they wonder why so many of us shop outside for wives these days.

sigbet.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Thank you, si man.

I've found things to agree with in every post in this thread so far.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
My ex put over a half dozen stitches in my ear while I was laying in bed and the cops never even questioned her. Now if that isn't a DV, I don't know what one is. Two different rules...one for men, and one for women. And they wonder why so many of us shop outside for wives these days.

I'm sorry you went through that :( and yes it definitely was DV but as a man you are expected to have deserved it, started it, or lied about her doing it because she's a "delicate woman".

The term feminism is abused by a lot of women. Too many women I know claim to be feminists but are instead just man-haters, which isn't what feminism is about. I'm not saying women should still be bare-foot and pregnant in the kitchen but in my opinion an alarming number of women in their attempts to be more independent and more like men have turned into the sort of women I don't know why any man would want (violent, non-maternal, uncaring, violent, dirty etc). Being a woman myself having such opinions is considered traitorous. Don't get me started on men's rights when it comes to child support, paternity and abortions etc :S

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
the sort of women I don't know why any man would want (violent, non-maternal, uncaring, violent, dirty etc).
At the risk of derailing this thread, here's a slight tangent. I saved this from some thread in a long-ago, now-forgotten-by-me discussion site, si man:

---

If you look for a woman that is self-centered, selfish, angry, materialistic, highly critical, overweight, and in general insane ... you may locate one in Colombia, but you'll have difficulty finding her. In the US, you'll have difficulty finding one that isn't.

When I told a female friend a couple of years ago that I was marrying a Colombian woman, she had this to say. "You just want someone to clean your house, cook your meals, and screw you to death at night."

After a moment of dumbfounded silence I replied, "So what's your point, Lynn? Let's face it, if you treat your man this way, it's not likely you'll have many problems in your marriage."

Lynn divorced her much younger husband about a year ago. She told me he was too childlike.

The main differences between a woman in Colombia and women in the USA are cultural. In Colombia there is no battle of the sexes that I saw. Women acted like women, and for the most part are pleased to take care of their man. When they do this in the USA (that is if you can find one that does) they are labeled "Co-Dependent" and then medicated.

---

Wow, si man!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

At the risk of derailing this thread, here's a slight tangent. I saved this from some thread in a long-ago, now-forgotten-by-me discussion site, si man:

---

If you look for a woman that is self-centered, selfish, angry, materialistic, highly critical, overweight, and in general insane ... you may locate one in Colombia, but you'll have difficulty finding her. In the US, you'll have difficulty finding one that isn't.

When I told a female friend a couple of years ago that I was marrying a Colombian woman, she had this to say. "You just want someone to clean your house, cook your meals, and screw you to death at night."

After a moment of dumbfounded silence I replied, "So what's your point, Lynn? Let's face it, if you treat your man this way, it's not likely you'll have many problems in your marriage."

Lynn divorced her much younger husband about a year ago. She told me he was too childlike.

The main differences between a woman in Colombia and women in the USA are cultural. In Colombia there is no battle of the sexes that I saw. Women acted like women, and for the most part are pleased to take care of their man. When they do this in the USA (that is if you can find one that does) they are labeled "Co-Dependent" and then medicated.

---

Wow, si man!

I disagree about the strictly Columbia part :P but otherwise agree with whoever wrote it. I'm all for equality but too often some women take it PAST equality and into wanting superiority. For instance, my husband is ex-military. As you know women fought for the rights to be able to do the same jobs as men, yet they don't have the same physical requirements and many demand special treatment. One of Tony's fellow military people broke his foot while out on manoeuvres or whatever you call it. He of course wasn't permitted to leave and there was at least a week left of whatever they were doing so he had to still participate. A girl hurt herself in a much less serious manner and was air-lifted out (it was at a different time but similar activity they were doing).

I'm not sure I agree with women having to take care of their men, but instead for both parties to take care of each other. If that means he cooks then he does. If it means she needs to mow the law then she does. I cook for my husband because he is bad at it and because I LIKE to take care of him. I baked some cookies for him today because he's finally getting his appetite back after being sick and that was what he wanted.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

---

---

Wow, si man!

Word. Da man!

event.png

July 5, 2011 - Mailed 129f

July 8, 2011 - NOA1

July 10, 2011 - Touch

October 4, 2011 - NOA2

October 18, 2011 - NVC Receive

October 20, 2011 - NVC Depart

October 24, 2011 - Consulate Receive

November 28, 2011 - Appointment scheduled.

November 28, 2011 - Visa Approved!

December 2, 2011 - Visa in hand,

December 22, 2011 - Fly to Russia.

January 5, 2012 - Return together - POE - IAD (Dulles)

February 25. 2012 - Marriage

I wonder if initiating early morning sex while she's still sleeping counts as "rape" ?

Only if she doesn't like it.

I had a girlfriend that would start fights with me and then I'd bend her over the table or throw her up against the wall, etc. She loved that sh!t. She'd come up and slap me for no reason, start yelling at me, pushing me, etc., and wouldn't stop until I satisfied her craving.

After that, she'd make me a sandwich and shut the f'ck up.

I should've married her.

See above.

Luckily this girl was playful with it but I kept waiting for the day when she'd flip and call 9-1-1 claiming I'd beaten her and raped her. You've gotta watch the crazy ones. There's a thin line between eroticism and criminal activity and the sad part is, our justice system lets that line be drawn based on her whim. The crazy ones are fun, but that extreme personality and emotional high can swing both ways.

Nothing like waking up with her straddling you holding a knife. Good times!

My ex put over a half dozen stitches in my ear while I was laying in bed

Was she a nurse?

One of Tony's fellow military people broke his foot while out on manoeuvres or whatever you call it. He of course wasn't permitted to leave and there was at least a week left of whatever they were doing so he had to still participate. A girl hurt herself in a much less serious manner and was air-lifted out (it was at a different time but similar activity they were doing).

One of the biggest debacles of feminism ever - women in combat units.

You ladies wanna serve your country? Great. Join the Peace Corps.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

women in male-dominated industry would never dream of demanding special treatment because guys these days can be just as vicious and cut-throat.

This would be true with a limited amount of men. If you have one woman and six guys, sure, this would work out. But, when it's more like 70 to 1 or something, there's always that douchebag (or 10) who will go out of his way to "get the girl" and he can do so because the rest of the guys are too busy getting the job done.

Русский форум член.