Alicey

Applying for medicaid and AOS?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I saw a few posts about medicaid but all of them seemed to be from the USC, and none of them seemed to be relevant to our situation.

I came to the US on a k-1 visa; married my USC spouse within 90 days; did everything right; and we just sent off the paperwork for AOS two weeks ago. This morning, we found out I'm pregnant.

It's still very early days, but there is absolutely no way we can afford this pregnancy without help. My spouse is employed but has a low income, and of course I can't work until my paperwork's all gone through (of course, now, by the time it comes through I'll be too pregnant to work.... Neeearrggh). Neither of us have health insurance because we can't afford it. I'm working on the assumption here that insurance companies will treat this pregnancy as a pre-existing condition (I know legally they can't do that; but I also know that they find loopholes), so health insurance won't help: if someone knows this to be untrue, please tell me so. I've been looking into medicaid and I think we are eligible, but will that affect our AOS? I mean, the USC has to prove that s/he is financially able to support their spouse, so claiming benefits can't look good. I remember reading somewhere in the 1-864 that if we claim any benefits, we may have to pay them back. Does that mean that if this pregnancy totals $20k (a friend of ours just had a baby, and that was how much the pregnancy cost in medical bills), we have to summon up $20k somehow?

Please advise. I'm confused; scared sh*tless; and broke. As in, we-may-be-about-to-be-evicted broke. I really need to know what I can do about this...

Medicaid is a means-tested benefit. This means if you are approved, the US government can come after your husband and any co-sponsor you might have to pay them back. Will they? Who knows. But they can. That said, you have to do what you have to do.

Pregnancy is not supposed to be a pre-existing condition but for all intents and purposes it is. You'll have no hope of getting your pregnancy covered with a private insurance company but if one of you gains insurance through work you may be able to get it covered. And if it's been covered through another insurance from the start (like Medicaid) then an employer-sponsored insurance will have to cover it.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

If your husband fails to support the bills, and assuming your medicaid is approved, your husband could be sued later by the State for failing to support/ breaching contract. (I-864 is a contract between him and government.)

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

I saw a few posts about medicaid but all of them seemed to be from the USC, and none of them seemed to be relevant to our situation.

I came to the US on a k-1 visa; married my USC spouse within 90 days; did everything right; and we just sent off the paperwork for AOS two weeks ago. This morning, we found out I'm pregnant.

It's still very early days, but there is absolutely no way we can afford this pregnancy without help. My spouse is employed but has a low income, and of course I can't work until my paperwork's all gone through (of course, now, by the time it comes through I'll be too pregnant to work.... Neeearrggh). Neither of us have health insurance because we can't afford it. I'm working on the assumption here that insurance companies will treat this pregnancy as a pre-existing condition (I know legally they can't do that; but I also know that they find loopholes), so health insurance won't help: if someone knows this to be untrue, please tell me so. I've been looking into medicaid and I think we are eligible, but will that affect our AOS? I mean, the USC has to prove that s/he is financially able to support their spouse, so claiming benefits can't look good. I remember reading somewhere in the 1-864 that if we claim any benefits, we may have to pay them back. Does that mean that if this pregnancy totals $20k (a friend of ours just had a baby, and that was how much the pregnancy cost in medical bills), we have to summon up $20k somehow?

Please advise. I'm confused; scared sh*tless; and broke. As in, we-may-be-about-to-be-evicted broke. I really need to know what I can do about this...

Hi there. First of all, as hard as it can be, Calm down. No one can think clear in panic.

States often have pre-natal care at no cost or little cost for uninsured mothers, up to an including the birth; some even do post care but limited. I know for a fact that Colorado does; I do not know in other states, but here is where you need to do research. It should not be too hard to find out how and where. Start with the county government where you are. Either call up or show up at their offices. If in a Metro city, there's ought to be something. Again, only know of Colorado.

Remember this (and I am not being discriminatory or anything like that, as I was an immigrant myself): many citizens of foreign countries come to the US for the sole purpose of having their baby and thus setup for a future claim to immigrate (because the baby would be a USC), and while there are some that can afford it, many others go to publicly supported clinics; so much that there was an attempt to negate citizenship to babies born with this method.

Ah, and the last thing a non-US citizen would have is a Medicaid or even a SSN. Some of this clinics don't even ask to see an id. Now, don't expect high end care; but you will get it.

Hope this helps at least to calm you down a bit

Edited by Gosia & Tito

If you do end up having to pay for everything out of pocket, home birth with a qualified midwife would be the cheapest option. Of course you can't guarantee that you won't end up having a high-risk pregnancy and needing to be in the hospital and undergo various costly procedures. But even then, it is what it is. You'll set up a payment plan afterwards and somehow you will make it through.

I believe there are some means-tested benefits you can receive. It will vary state to state. However, there are certainly certain programs which are geared towards supporting the child and so will provide services to pregnant women regardless of their status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

See here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=775d23cbea6bf210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=8a2f6d26d17df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

Medicaid is NOT a public charge issue. It won't affect your AOS.

You are eligible for certain benefits because the child is a USC. WIC for example (which will help with food). I suggest you go somewhere like the public health department or wherever to discuss what you're eligible for.

See here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=775d23cbea6bf210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=8a2f6d26d17df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

Medicaid is NOT a public charge issue. It won't affect your AOS.

You are eligible for certain benefits because the child is a USC. WIC for example (which will help with food). I suggest you go somewhere like the public health department or wherever to discuss what you're eligible for.

This is true, despite being means-tested (and the potential to have to repay), you won't become a public charge for using Medicaid (except in long-term circumstances, like a nursing home) so you are still eligible for AOS.

This page explains means-tested benefits a little more: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html#4

Basically, you may be able to get Medicaid, and it won't affect your AOS, but your husband (or joint sponsor if you have one) may be responsible for paying back anything you receive. I honestly have no idea how frequently that happens.

Good luck. I know maternity coverage in the US is a joke.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: Other Timeline

Giving birth in a U.S. hospital can easily run you about $25K, and that's without pre- and post natal care. Yet that's still peanuts compared to the $250,000 it will cost you to raise a child.

I don't want to come over as a smart ####, but those are serious considerations that have to be made when it comes to family planing. The U.S. is about the worst place on this blue planet for somebody without health insurance. I was dumped by my health insurance because of a non-issue, was without for three years, and now have to pay $25K per year, which is borderline financial suicide for me.

You may want to rethink your plan of extending your family before following though with this. A child can be the greatest thing in the world, or exactly the opposite, depending on the circumstances.

I apologize if this sounds harsh. I know it does.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

You may want to rethink your plan of extending your family before following though with this. A child can be the greatest thing in the world, or exactly the opposite, depending on the circumstances.

:thumbs: Yes, I absolutely agree! It may sound harsh but it's true!

as1cHpz0g410600MzAwNzg3OWx8MjM3NjYxc3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Both of you can kindly keep your noses out, thank you. Regardless of the fact that we don't even have the money for an abortion, it is NOT something we are considering. We have enough money for next month's rent and that is it; but somehow we will have to get by when the baby comes because we are going to have it.

I really did not come here to be judged or lectured; or have people assume I don't know the huge financial implications involved in raising a child. This child may grow up dirt poor but it has two parents who love each other and is already loved itself; and that's a hell of a lot more than a lot of children have.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The OP has requested advice about the financial situations she finds herself in now that she is pregnant. She did not ask for a lecture or a judgment on her situation, so while you might feel compelled to provide a lecture or judgment about her pregnancy, please refrain from doing so. If you cannot answer the question asked, then please do not participate in the thread.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.