Canadian in GA

applying for a job with U.S Citizens only...

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all!

well I am a permanent resident. I have my 2 year green card, and applying for US citizenship when I am able to do so. I am looking for a career change, and I want to work for the police department in my county, in Georgia. I see that some say " you must be a US citizen" to apply. being a permanent resident, doesn't that allow me to work anywhere? does it fall under the "right to work" thingy?

I would really like to apply for this job, and I have some testing in another county, but I don't want to go though all the stress of all the testing, if in the end, they deny me as i am not a US citizen.

anyone know this answer?

thanks!

Jen

"Canadian in Georgia"

There are many jobs that require citizenship for consideration. However, every rule has its exceptions, and you can certainly indicate that you are not a citizen. You may even talk to someone in that department about your application and if they are willing to consider a resident for the position.

However, under no circumstance mark that you are a citizen - because if this goes out, and in a weird way, USCIS finds out about it, you will be denied citizenship in the US when you apply.

However, yes, they are allowed to indicate that only citizens will be considered for the position. Many times it is due to security issues...

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unfortunately, certain government jobs, especially those pertaining to security or basic infrastructure, can and do reserve the right to make US citizenship a condition of employment, notwithstanding your right to work. You could be the Messiah Himself, and turn water into grape juice at your interview, but they would still be forced to not hire you if you can't produce a US passport, birth certificate, or certificate of naturalization.

Just one of the several reasons why a very significant majority of Canadian immigrants to the US get US citizenship at the first legal opportunity.

EDIT: +1 to v333k's comment. Do NOT, under ANY circumstances, claim to be a US citizen at any point in this process! It's illegal, and you will permanently hose yourself out of ever getting US citizenship, and may even get yourself deported. I'm sure you already know this, but the warning is worth repeating. Also, I agree: it can't hurt to ask, and you should, but because it's a security position, you will probably find the US citizenship requirement non-negotiable.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the info, yeah I wouldn't ever say I am a citizen if i'm not, guess I will wait until I am a citizen until I apply. but I will ask them maybe they can work with me, seeing the experience I have. or maybe not. thanks!

Tolsab- yeah, need a new job baaaadddddd!

Jen

"Canadian in Georgia"

Not many public sector jobs outside the Federal Govt are reserved for citizens. You may see a few that are - but don't be put off. Most aren't (including many law enforcement jobs).

I'm only a LPR, but had no problems (for example) becoming a Financial Investigator with the Colorado Attorney General. I also know of a (British born) Police Chief here in Colorado who was a deputy long before he became a U.S. citizen.

Like you say, you don't want to waste time applying if citizenship is a requirement, so just check that at the outset.

Good luck!

Edited by N M

11-24-2006 Annette and I meet in Rome

09-09-2008 Engaged!

01-30-2009 Fiance petition filed

03-22-2009 Fiance petition approved. Case moves to U.S. embassy in London

04-01-2009 Package received from U.S. embassy in London

06-01-2009 Visa Medical (London)

06-23-2009 K1 Visa Interview (London)

06-27-2009 Passport returned by embassy. K1 Visa received!!

07-04-2009 Fly to Denver (port of entry - Houston, TX)

07-25-2009 We are married (the joint happiest day of my life)

08-07-2009 Social Security number obtained

08-20-2009 AOS, Advanced Parole and Employment Authorization forms filed

09-24-2009 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

10-05-2009 Advanced Parole received

10-09-2009 Employment Authorization received

10-13-2009 Colorado Learner's permit obtained and driving test scheduled

10-21-2009 Driving test taken and passed

11-30-2009 Green Card Interview (Centennial, CO)

12-08-2009 Green Card received

01-04-2010 Employed

01-28-2011 Our daughter is born (the other happiest day of my life)!

11-21-2011 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12-28-2011 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

03-16-2012 Card production ordered

03-23-2012 Card received

09-04-2012 Application for Naturalization filed

10-05-2012 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

12-11-2012 Naturalization Interview (Centennial, CO)

Timeline

I work at a state, public institution and am a state government employee. They had no problems taking a PR. Just like others are saying, most jobs outside the Feds usually accept PRs.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

There are even several Federal jobs that simply require employment authorization.

You should ask the HR department in the agency in which you are applying. I work in a Federal agency and for several of our "US Citizen" positions, if you can prove that you are in the process of becoming Naturalized, they can hire you. Of course, if you are denied citizenship then you will also lose your job . . .

I-485 (Adjustment of Status)

09-03-05: Package mailed to Chicago (I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131)

09-05-05: (Day 000) Package received in Chicago

09-09-05: (Day 004) NOA1

10-22-05: (Day 047) AOS/EAD Biometrics Done

11-15-05: (Day 073) EAD Arrived

11-17-05: (Day 075) AP Arrived

12-07-05: (Day 094) AOS Interview Letter Arrives

01-25-06: (Day 143) AOS Approved!!!

02-02-06: (Day 151) Welcome to America Letter Arrives

02-06-06: (Day 155) Green Card Arrived!!!

I-751 (Removal of conditions)

10-29-07: Package Sent

10-31-07: (Day 000) Package Received at VSC

11-02-07: (Day 002) NOA1

12-20-07: (Day 050) Biometrics

09-03-08: (Day 308) Touched

09-09-08: (Day 314) I-751 Approved!!!

N-400 (Naturalization)

10-20-11: Package Sent

10-21-11: (Day 000) Package received in Phoenix

10-26-11: (Day 005) Check Cashed

10-28-11: (Day 007) NOA1

11-05-11: (Day 015) Biometrics Letter Arrives - Appointment on 11/15/11

11-10-11: (Day 020) Biometrics Completed

01-23-12: (Day 094) Interview Date

03-19-12: (Day 150) Oath Scheduled Notice

03-30-12: (Day 161) Oath Ceremony

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif - Terry 3dflagsdotcom_mexic_2fawm.gif - Blanca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thanks N M! I want to work within the 911 dispatch center. so we will see :) thanks for everyones input!

This would be a great topic to discuss with one of the HR Staffers with the entity - Suggest a walk up , ask for one of the HR crew to talk with you for five minutes. IMO, it'd clear up much.

Walking is important, sometimes. This, IMO, is one of those times.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

However, yes, they are allowed to indicate that only citizens will be considered for the position. Many times it is due to security issues...

THIS.

It's not even about "kicking ####", it's about who's exposed to what information/intellectual property. Doesn't even require security classification, but putting certain non-classified info into the hands of non-USC (not LPR, not visa, but naturalized citizens) can land a company in very hot water in very short order.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

There are even several Federal jobs that simply require employment authorization.

You should ask the HR department in the agency in which you are applying. I work in a Federal agency and for several of our "US Citizen" positions, if you can prove that you are in the process of becoming Naturalized, they can hire you. Of course, if you are denied citizenship then you will also lose your job . . .

True. And that is the time when form N-300 is necessary. At least in couple states I am aware of.

AOS from B-2

08/05/08 I-485 filed

02/03/09 CGC received

12/09/10 I-751 filed

04/07/11 GC received

11/1/11 N-400 filed

02/24/12 USC

In Polish only. Sytuacja polityczna w Polsce:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Know for a fact our military would sure take you as a LPR, sure tried hard enough to get my stepdaughter to join when she was one. With this 9/11 thing, greatly expanded our police department, ha make sure you are driving 24 in 25 mph limit. Their rule was to hire local folks, but the demand was more for an experienced officer, so even hired out of state.

As suggested, go to that departments human resource department and learn their requirements for citizenship status. You never want to go by what you hear.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I work at a place where you need to be a USC to work, EVERY worker must be a USC from the VP down to the cleaning crew. There is supposedly exceptions to this if you can prove the person involved has spoecific knowledge that is required for a project but the pain/expense of doing this is prohibitive so they never even consider non USC's If you are talking about a company like this there is zero chance of them considering you before you are a USC.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

I work somewhere where we have many IT personnel that are citizens, PR's (which of course I was until recently) but we also have people who are not PR's yet, but just on a Work VISA or EAD. We tag these people in our system so that they are easily identifiable when we are dealing with ITAR regulation stuff. We take training in what types of information are considered acceptable for certain audiences to have access to and it's a serious business. Because we work with the government we need to be compliant. You see the citizenship thing on a lot of jobs here in the DC area because there is so much government work.

To the OP - there are regulations back in Canada that are the same, you just didn't bump into it much because you were Cdn :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.