Danielb4643

Anyone entering US on K1 should read this

11 posts in this topic

Does this form mean that we do NOT need an EAD and can work immediately after entering USA?

Unless you are doing the CR1, you DO need EAD for work. That form is rather old. Even if you look at the guidelines in the SSA website today, it appears as if K-1 are 'authorized' to work; but it is not the case.

Upon getting SS card, you will see that it is noted that holder can work with DHS authorization, meaning EAD or GC.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

I take it to mean an EAD is not required for obtaining a SSN.

Correct. There is no requirement to hold EAD prior to obtaining SSN. Matter of fact, depending on where you live you'll need SSN to get marriage license, driver's license, bank acount, credit cards, etc...

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Does this form mean that we do NOT need an EAD and can work immediately after entering USA?

No

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

K-1? ................NO!

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I own my own Bar in Texas, and as I understand it, when you own a bar or restaurant in Texas, family members or your spouse can work in it regardless.

Ah no. Illegal work is illegal work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a business too and I cannot pay my fiance to work for me I can only make her an officer ( unpaid) until she has work permit. Besides, without ss# how do you do payroll? I dont know about texas but immigration is federal level not state. an immigrant can really cause themselves problems working (paid) before they have permit. If you dont pay them its not work in other words. Your family is just helping in your bar but I would research that. the weird part for me is I have to use e-verify. so someday if I "employ" her i will have to verify that my wife is legal even after all the fiance processes we have been thru.

Edited by Jim N Augie

I own my own Bar in Texas, and as I understand it, when you own a bar or restaurant in Texas, family members or your spouse can work in it regardless.

Federal laws trumps State law, even if state is Texas....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Texas has nothing to say about legal eligibility to work, that is determined by the US Federal Government and applies to all states.

As family members they MAY be exempt from some STATE provisions such as workman's compensation insurance, depends on the state

A K-1 CANNOT legally work in ANY job in ANY state without an EAD pr green card. Period.

I have a business too and I cannot pay my fiance to work for me I can only make her an officer ( unpaid) until she has work permit. Besides, without ss# how do you do payroll? I dont know about texas but immigration is federal level not state. an immigrant can really cause themselves problems working (paid) before they have permit. If you dont pay them its not work in other words. Your family is just helping in your bar but I would research that. the weird part for me is I have to use e-verify. so someday if I "employ" her i will have to verify that my wife is legal even after all the fiance processes we have been thru.

Your fiancee CAN get an SSN. She CANNOT work without an EAD or Green Card. Any information to the contrary is wrong.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.