Horees

Very Strange

35 posts in this topic

I would head down to the local police station and give them all the details. If they are doing their job they will take the information and pass it to the relevant agency/bureau for investigation.

Why? Because it's fraud and it's potentially money laundering. Neither of those charges (or suspicion of them) are anything that USCIS wants to see on an immigrant and it could come back to bite you in the butt later, when you file for citizenship. The problem is that financial records leave trails. Banks record bounced checks and, by law, banks are obliged to maintain records of any financial transactions for a MINIMUM of 7 years.

If it was me, I'd be covering my rear post haste. :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Take the check, make a copy as evidence and file a police report. As long as they don't have your social security number more than likely you're safe. If they do, you must contact the federal trade commission and file another report. Then pull out a credit report with equifax and make sure your credit hasn't been compromised. Once you do all this, file a police report. Then you call the federal trade commission again and give them the police report number.

In the meantime, enroll in Identity Guard. And please, please please, do not absolutely verify any information over the phone. If this company calls you, tell them there's nothing to verify and to please stop calling you. This is a very dangerous scam, not only for the loss of money but for the incredible chances of identity theft. They will continue to target people with brand new social security numbers.

Now, to avoid this from happening again, always check the company your applying for. Go to the Better Business Bureau. Google them, etc.

Good luck!

Edited by NY_BX

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Definitely do not try to cash the check. Report them to the police or postmaster and hopefully that will help prevent others from being scammed.

You may also want to consider purchasing some type of identify theft protection. These services will monitor your credit reports and alert you if they notice anything suspicious. That wont stop someone from using your personal information to steal from you, but it will make it harder.

Some examples:LifeLock, TrustedID, Identity Guard.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Go to your bank, or local police fruad unti, fbi with your evidence immediately.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Definitely do not try to cash the check. Report them to the police or postmaster and hopefully that will help prevent others from being scammed.

You may also want to consider purchasing some type of identify theft protection. These services will monitor your credit reports and alert you if they notice anything suspicious. That wont stop someone from using your personal information to steal from you, but it will make it harder.

Some examples:LifeLock, TrustedID, Identity Guard.

I have Identity Guard. Here in NY, some apartment complexes ask YOU to bring your credit report, instead of having them check it. This is to help the customer because the more credit checks we have on reported, the lower the score becomes. So, if you're applying for several apartments and all of them are taken after they checked your credit, they'll be affecting you unwillingly. They give a list of reputable websites and the number of the 3 agencies where they must provide this free. So I chose Identity Guard. I am pleased with the service. You can enroll your bank accounts, credit cards and of course you ss# for fraud alerts. I get emails of activity alerts if there was something reported on my credit. When you pay off a balance, for example, and a creditor reports that, IG emails you. If something's wrong, you call and they telly ou exactly what to do. I recommend it for anyone, especially if you travel a lot and use credit cards overseas.

Edited by NY_BX

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Actually unless you live where your check came from the post office is the best equipped to deal with this. To use the mail to commit a crime is a serious crime and they will hook up with the feds to try to identify and arrest this person. You can contact the credit agencies and ask them to put an alert on your account so that you have to prove your ID to open new account. Talk to your bank also. I forget the backside of the scam, they sometimes access the account details from the cancelled check and then hit the account and empty it.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One post violating TOS has been removed. It is not acceptable to attack and insult another member. If you cannot offer your advice in a polite and considerate manner then do not participate.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

To the original poster - shred the check, stop any further communication with the scam'er and move on with you life and job search.

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Don't worry about your information (name, and address, and phone number, etc) being known. This is all in a phone book! Getting someone's school information and work data is easy as well. These scams are very popular and they want you to think that they know you. They scam hundreds if not thousands of people everyday.

Shred the check and go and enjoy the day!

And the journey begins!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Take the check to the bank, tell them it's a fraudulent check. Don't even second-guess yourself. The bank will send that check to an agency that deals with fraudulent checks and tries to track down where it originates and lets other know about this kind of fraud. They will also hook up with the appropriate authorities to stop this. I would also get some sort of identity theft protection. These people have information about you and fraudsters are very, VERY smart nowadays. I wouldn't risk it.

I work at a bank and we see these checks often.

IR-1

Married: 12/29/2008

USCIS CSC

I-130 Sent : 11/05/2010

I-130 NOA1 :11/19/2010

I-130 NOA2 :05/20/2011

182 days - No RFE's

NVC

Received : 06/08/2011

DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 06/08/2011

Receive I-864 Package : 06/10/2011

Completed DS-3032 : 06/11/2011 (NVC received 06/16/2011)

Pay I-864 Bill : 06/23/2011

Pay IV Bill : 07/22/2011

Return Completed I-864 & IV : 07/25/2011

NVC received: 07/27/2011

NVC RFE: 08/09/11

NVC RFE sent/NVC Received: 08/10/2011--08/12/2011

False RFE for IV: 08/10/11

False RFE for previous RFE: 08/11/11 & 08/14/2011

NVC Reviewed IV: 08/11/2011

SIF and Case Complete : 08/19/2011

Interview Date Set: 09/30/2011

EMBASSY

Medical: 11/11/2011

Interview: 11/16/2011 *APPROVED*

Visa Received: 11/21/11 (arrived on 3rd business day)

POE: 12/02/2011

Welcome Letter & SSN Arrived: 12/12/11

2nd Welcome Letter & 10-year GC Arrived: 12/17/11

-Happily Ever After-

I would like to thank you all for your support

I really couldn't cannot do without you...

I don't have bank account or credit card yet...but defiantly, once I get them, I'll enroll in any identity protection programs.

I repeat my thanks to all of you. It's highly appreciated

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Don't be a fool do not cash that check it's 1st of all fake. You will be the one they come after for the whole $3000 dollars of the check. EVER HEARD OF JAIL?

2nd you will not receive any laptops. THIS IS A SCAM SCAM SCAM RUN AWAY. Never post a resume on line with your real data. JUST AN EMAIL. I will tell you another scam my friends daughter in law was selling a wedding dress on ebay for $1500 dollars a guy bought it from England. SHE IS IN USA he sends her check for 2000$ he tells her to cash the check and send him the dress keep the rest for the shipping. She does it the check bounced 2 weeks later the bank is calling her for the 2000 back. She already sent him the dress and and the left over of the 500 bucks. SCAMMED She lost the dress and 500 bucks.

Listen to what people are telling you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.