scottnlizzie

I-134 is a promise to support for ten years

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

"6) The Affidavit of Support your petitioner files with your K-1 visa is a promise to support you for TEN YEARS!! That is, EVEN IF YOU DIVORCE HIM, he MUST provide you with at least $17,500 a year for ten years. It is a Federal Law and cannot be removed in a divorce proceeding. Your ex-husband MUST pay you that if you want it, as the government assumes no responsibility for your support for those ten years."

The above quote came from this page: http://immigrationfraudvictims.freeforums.org/real-fraud-story-t153.html

Is the information in the quote accurate and if so, wow.

K1 visa - NOA1 - September 19, 2011

K1 visa - NOA2 - March 2012???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Its a contract with he government.

You do not pay them 17,500$ a year. Even if you divorce.

You have to prove that you make the guideline to support the person in the USA so they do not become public charge.

That number is not correct that website is not correct.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

"6) The Affidavit of Support your petitioner files with your K-1 visa is a promise to support you for TEN YEARS!! That is, EVEN IF YOU DIVORCE HIM, he MUST provide you with at least $17,500 a year for ten years. It is a Federal Law and cannot be removed in a divorce proceeding. Your ex-husband MUST pay you that if you want it, as the government assumes no responsibility for your support for those ten years."

The above quote came from this page: http://immigrationfraudvictims.freeforums.org/real-fraud-story-t153.html

No that's not exactly correct.

1. It's the I-864, not the I-134. the K1 VISA doesn't require the I-864, it's only when they're in the US and you file for their GC

2. It's not "10 years", it's 40 quarters. A quarter being 3 months

3. The USC doesn't have to PAY money. It's a promise to the US government if they use any means tested benefits to pay back the government.

4. Its true, divorce does not cancel the obligations. Death of the immigrant or spouse does. As does becoming a USC, as well as leaving the country and giving up their Greencard

Timeline

No that's not exactly correct.

1. It's the I-864, not the I-134. the K1 VISA doesn't require the I-864, it's only when they're in the US and you file for their GC

2. It's not "10 years", it's 40 quarters. A quarter being 3 months

3. The USC doesn't have to PAY money. It's a promise to the US government if they use any means tested benefits to pay back the government.

4. Its true, divorce does not cancel the obligations. Death of the immigrant or spouse does. As does becoming a USC, as well as leaving the country and giving up their Greencard

Very good. I'm happy to hear the I-134 is not what the other site said it was.

K1 visa - NOA1 - September 19, 2011

K1 visa - NOA2 - March 2012???

Timeline

Very good. I'm happy to hear the I-134 is not what the other site said it was.

The I-864 is VERY serious though. Make sure you read the instructions for the I-864 so you completely understand the obligations.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

True 40 quarters would seem like 10 years and 40 time 3 months would be 10 years if they were run all together, but it is 40 quarters of work and if the immigrant doesn't work quarters aren't happening and the affidavit could be for life.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

True 40 quarters would seem like 10 years and 40 time 3 months would be 10 years if they were run all together, but it is 40 quarters of work and if the immigrant doesn't work quarters aren't happening and the affidavit could be for life.

True, but the affadavit ends when the immigrant becomes a USC.

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Timeline

True, but the affadavit ends when the immigrant becomes a USC.

IF they become a USC. They don't have to. and some don't because they would lose their home countries citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The I-134 is not but the I-864 for the AOS IS. Sort of.

10 years is the maximum. When the spouse become a citizen (as little as 4 years) it is cancelled. when the spouse has worked "40 Quaters" it is cancelled. This is where the 10 years comes from. BUT if both you and your spouse work and file joint tax returns she will get "double points" so to speak and rach 40 quarters in 5 years, not 10 years

It is also cancelled if she leaves the country and surrenders her green card or her green card expires after she leaves.

also it is not an agreement to "support" her. It is an agreement to repay the government IF she receives any means tested benefits (welfare)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

10 years is not the max. If the immigrant divorces you before you get 40 quarter and never work on their own after that and never becomes a citizen or leave then it is longer than 10 years.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

That whole site seems like a mess filled with bitterness and I think it would be foolish to trust any of it.

It is absolutely true there is some fraud in marriages and immigration. It is also absolutely true that people can be blinded by emotions. And it is also true that when people separate, for whatever reason, people often skew things to their favor and want to blame the other person.

No one forced these people to get married. They may blame their spouse for their heartache, but it takes two. Anyone not willing to share in the blame in a failed relationship is likely responsible for more than their share.

--------------------------------

Priorty Date: June 22, 2011

Interview Sept. 7, 2012

Visa in hand, Sept 15, 2012

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

So what happens if she/he leaves you and you get a divorce and you never hear from them again don't know where they are if they are still in this country or not. And you want to marry again say from another country or even the same country they came from? will this be trouble if you file for K-1 visa? or in the interview? Thanks

Even though we are far from each other right now I know you are close to me in other ways,you are always here in my heart. You give me reason to look forward to each day,You are my life and a dream come true.there are no words to express how i feel for you.You are the light in my darkness.There could never be words strong enough to express my love for you but I'm going to show it to you everyday as long as i live.I love you with my body,soul and mind.I love you very much baby.Mwaaaaaaaaah!

Your Wife to be,

Aijeen

There are a few cases where the USC was required to pay to the divorced immigrant 1/2 of the poverty level required by the I-864.

If I remember right, the judge ruled that the difference was less because the immigrant was working, so instead of 7K or so, was given 5K - if you do a search on my posts - I had links to them.

(about 3 cases or so).

So what happens if she/he leaves you and you get a divorce and you never hear from them again don't know where they are if they are still in this country or not. And you want to marry again say from another country or even the same country they came from? will this be trouble if you file for K-1 visa? or in the interview? Thanks

You would still have to count them for any future 864's - and if you don't meet the level - you will be looking for a co-sponsor.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

There are a few cases where the USC was required to pay to the divorced immigrant 1/2 of the poverty level required by the I-864.

If I remember right, the judge ruled that the difference was less because the immigrant was working, so instead of 7K or so, was given 5K - if you do a search on my posts - I had links to them.

(about 3 cases or so).

You would still have to count them for any future 864's - and if you don't meet the level - you will be looking for a co-sponsor.

Still would be a bargain over what I had to pay to my USC ex-wife. I'll take my chances with the I-134 and I-864 :yes:

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.