Faery

Affidavit problem

17 posts in this topic

I asked my in-laws for an affidavit which they were happy to do, I used the example form on here to write one up and gave it to them to sign and notarize, however they wanted to change it slightly so took it off me (there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it) and there was so much faffing about it :rolleyes: so when I eventually got it I was really annoyed when noticed that at the top where I had written:

IN RE: JOINT PETITION OF

(insert names) TO

REMOVE CONDITIONS ON

RESIDENCE OF (insert name)

They had changed it to:

IN RE: JOINT PETITION OF

(insert names) TO

REMOVE QUESTIONABLE CONDITIONS ON

RESIDENCE OF (insert name)

Is this a problem? :unsure: I do not understand why on earth they wrote that! It is lifting of conditional residence not questionable conditions, that makes me sound like a criminal! :rolleyes: Maybe I am being pernickity over one word but I think you have to be when it comes to something as important as this, you cannot afford to make mistakes. Now I do not know what to do, I cannot go through the hassle of getting them to do it again, do I leave it, or draw a line through that word or does it not actually matter? Thoughts and opinions much appreciated!

ROC
11/8/2011 I-751 & evidence mailed
11/12/2011 Packet delivered
11/18/2011 Received NOA (dated 11/14/2011)
12/29/2011 Biometrics (dated 12/02/2011, received 12/07/2011)
05/02/2012 Approved!
05/31/2012 Card received!

N-400

Sent: 05/15/2014

Check cashed: 05/22/2014

NOA1 05/19/2014

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Why bother with it? This affidavit isn't a forum for them to play semantics or debate the immigration policies.

The affidavits are not required. The adjudicator may get a chuckle. But why feed into your in-laws apparent desire to tweak you.

Toss it in the trash.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

I would black it out. But maybe one isn't supposed to alter affidavits.

LOL, I was thinking of putting a line through it. I'm so annoyed :angry: they mean well and have welcomed me into the family but don't listen! Grrrrrrrr......I guess it doesn't matter seeing as affidavits don't hold much weight in themselves, I got them to back up the rest of my evidence, wish I hadn't bothered now!

ROC
05/02/2012 Approved!

N-400

NOA1 05/19/2014

I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say I validate your irritation and I am frustrated for you. A lot of people not familiar with the immigration process seem to confuse what removal of conditions means. The term itself does seem poorly worded but it's just too bad your in-laws decided they knew better and messed up your affidavit.

Best to vent here so you don't take it out on them :)

I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say I validate your irritation and I am frustrated for you. A lot of people not familiar with the immigration process seem to confuse what removal of conditions means. The term itself does seem poorly worded but it's just too bad your in-laws decided they knew better and messed up your affidavit.

Best to vent here so you don't take it out on them :)

Thank you for your kind words Beejay :) Yes, why the hell that word was included is beyond me, it needed no altering. Everytime I look at it I want to black it out :angry:

ROC
05/02/2012 Approved!

N-400

NOA1 05/19/2014

Filed: Other Timeline

Affidavits are for people who cannot prove that their marriage is "real."

If your marriage is real, you don't need an affidavit.

If you have a sham marriage, this affidavit will not help you to remove the conditions.

It's really that simple.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Thank you for your kind words Beejay :) Yes, why the hell that word was included is beyond me, it needed no altering. Everytime I look at it I want to black it out :angry:

:) Anytime. Luckily this wasn't all that necessary to your packet. Best of luck with the rest of the process.

And rest easy knowing the denizens of the internets take your side on this one. :P

Affidavits are for people who cannot prove that their marriage is "real."

If your marriage is real, you don't need an affidavit.

If you have a sham marriage, this affidavit will not help you to remove the conditions.

It's really that simple.

Hmmm... I am puzzled as to why the instructions specifically list them then.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Hmmm... I am puzzled as to why the instructions specifically list them then.
They're not mandatory; they're mentioned as possible evidence because some people's other evidence is so thin that they NEED affidavits.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

What is up with that? Are they trying to be snarky or what?

I definitely would not send that. It looks bad. Many people don't send any, and as long as your other evidence is strong you will be fine.

24q38dy.jpg

I never sent in any affidavits, not through (2) successful visajourneys (same immigrant LOL).

Kudos to your inlaws. They're pretty funny....

LOL, yes they are! :yes:

Thanks for replies :) What do you guys think of my cover letter list? I got the affidavits because I am worried about not having enough evidence. There is nothing else I can send, I don't have a driver license yet and utilities are in my husband's name.

Copy of immigrant spouse green card (front and back)

Copy of immigrant spouse state ID (front and back)

Copy of immigrant spouse new passport showing married name

Copies of vet bills in joint name

Copies of Costco cards

Copies of airline tickets for day trip taken together

Copies of bank statements showing joint checking account

Copies of bank statements showing joint savings account

Copies of jointly filed U.S. state and federal tax returns for 2009 and 2010 (not transcripts from IRS though)

Copies of medical bills showing joint health insurance

Copy of house deed showing joint ownership of house

Couple of Photos, one of us together, and one of us at big family get-together.

Edited by Faery

ROC
05/02/2012 Approved!

N-400

NOA1 05/19/2014

LOL, yes they are! :yes:

Thanks for replies :) What do you guys think of my cover letter list? I got the affidavits because I am worried about not having enough evidence. There is nothing else I can send, I don't have a driver license yet and utilities are in my husband's name.

Copy of immigrant spouse green card (front and back)

Copy of immigrant spouse state ID (front and back)

Copy of immigrant spouse new passport showing married name

Copies of vet bills in joint name

Copies of Costco cards

Copies of airline tickets for day trip taken together

Copies of bank statements showing joint checking account

Copies of bank statements showing joint savings account

Copies of jointly filed U.S. state and federal tax returns for 2009 and 2010 (not transcripts from IRS though)

Copies of medical bills showing joint health insurance

Copy of house deed showing joint ownership of house

Couple of Photos, one of us together, and one of us at big family get-together.

The evidence you listed in bold is all I sent for mine. It looks a solid list to me.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Your list looks fine, I don't think you need the affidavits.

Maybe add a copy of the homeowner insurance, if the deed is in both of your name this one should be too.

Car registration and car insurance?

Life insurance or IRA showing the spouse as beneficiary?

Don't forget to show the 2 year span of your marriage with your copies!

Sib

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.