sassyclassy

arrived US on K1 visa recently married and wants to go home

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The AP is fast reply. ours was approved sept 30th states notice was sent but never received anything.

still waiting for the document or what ever it is.

today got email about having interview appointment for the GC

Definitely need to file your aos for resident, work, travel

better to do all at once get it over with. will cost total about $1100 about 46k peso includes you mailing documents.

lots more paperwork & you will stress out but just do it and you will be fine.

But do not leave the country at all until you have the documents.

If I had ours I would scan edit & show you what it looks like.

Good Luck from California/Oregon.

GC in Hand since nov/dec11
Currently in Process of I-751 Waiting Period.

delivered 9-12-13 NOA Dated 9-12-13 w/amount received. Received 9-16-13

Biometrics Received 9-27-13 APP: 10-15-13 3pm.
House is Listed for Sale & Hopefully it will sell soon.

Since nobody seems to understand this, I'll repeat it a little louder this time:

AP (Advance Parole) is worthless once you're out of status (your I-94 has expired).

The OP has indicated that they are currently out of status. Granted they are just days out of status so there's no re-entry ban yet but AP isn't a guarantee that they'll be re-admitted. CBP could see that they overstayed and choose to ignore the AP document all together.

Why take a chance when they can simply go home for the holidays next year?

Not true! My friend applied for AOS almost 2 years after getting married (way after her I-94 expired) and applied for an AP as well. She left in july of this year, came back to the US in august. No problem. :)

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Not true! My friend applied for AOS almost 2 years after getting married (way after her I-94 expired) and applied for an AP as well. She left in july of this year, came back to the US in august. No problem.

That is news, I've seen more than a few threads where someone received AP and was turned away at the border.

Admission is entirely up to CBP, they can refuse entry. They can't take your Greencard though.

Especially if your friend was out of status long enough to incur a re-entry ban then she was very lucky. Maybe she got an inexperienced CBP officer who simply took the AP document at face value and ignored the Ban.

Regardless as I've always said with immigration matters why would you risk it when you can simply wait until you're done with the AOS process and have the Greencard in hand? Unless there is a life altering event I would always play it safe over banking on everything working perfectly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Dumb question but where is you husband in all this? Didn't he know that he had to file the AOS? The petitioner should be doing this work not the beneficiary. Just my humble opinion.

As the others have stated, file for your AOS now and also for the AP and EAD. They are included in the price if you do it all at the same time. My wife's AP came through in 2 months. No problem. Keep in mind about how long you will be out of country. You need to be back for your biometrics appointment.

it was not my intent to stay long here in US as i have a high paying job and i own a very stable business back home, hence, we didnt dig more about the K1 visa after my arrival. But due to some changes of plans (who wants to cut short a great honeymoon wink wink) we decided that i might as well apply for a green card. im doing nothing at home while my husband is at work so i think its but fair for me to do the research since its me who has more time, just a humble opinion.

anyways...

i thank everyone here for the advise, i greatly appreciate it. i have just mailed this morning the documents for AOS and advance parole application.

Timeline

Since nobody seems to understand this, I'll repeat it a little louder this time:

AP (Advance Parole) is worthless once you're out of status (your I-94 has expired).

The OP has indicated that they are currently out of status. Granted they are just days out of status so there's no re-entry ban yet but AP isn't a guarantee that they'll be re-admitted. CBP could see that they overstayed and choose to ignore the AP document all together.

oh, this sounds scary! so you're saying its best to wait for green card instead?

Timeline

The AP is fast reply. ours was approved sept 30th states notice was sent but never received anything.

still waiting for the document or what ever it is.

today got email about having interview appointment for the GC

Definitely need to file your aos for resident, work, travel

better to do all at once get it over with. will cost total about $1100 about 46k peso includes you mailing documents.

lots more paperwork & you will stress out but just do it and you will be fine.

But do not leave the country at all until you have the documents.

If I had ours I would scan edit & show you what it looks like.

Good Luck from California/Oregon.

many thanks! its so nice of you...

Timeline

That is news, I've seen more than a few threads where someone received AP and was turned away at the border.

Admission is entirely up to CBP, they can refuse entry. They can't take your Greencard though.

Especially if your friend was out of status long enough to incur a re-entry ban then she was very lucky. Maybe she got an inexperienced CBP officer who simply took the AP document at face value and ignored the Ban.

Regardless as I've always said with immigration matters why would you risk it when you can simply wait until you're done with the AOS process and have the Greencard in hand? Unless there is a life altering event I would always play it safe over banking on everything working perfectly.

now im torn...........................

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No, AP is not useless after the I-94 has expired. AP is advance permission to be paroled back into the US. The only time it's useless is if the alien will trigger a ban when they leave. The advance parole becomes useless because the ban was triggered after the AP was approved. There are specific warnings about this in the AP application.

The OP hasn't accrued enough overstay to trigger a ban. If she get's her AOS application submitted soon then she'll stop accumulating unlawful presence. She shouldn't have any problem using the AP.

Not true! My friend applied for AOS almost 2 years after getting married (way after her I-94 expired) and applied for an AP as well. She left in july of this year, came back to the US in august. No problem. :)

This is either BS or the CBP officer who admitted her severely dropped the ball. She should have triggered a ban when she left the US. Don't be surprised if this comes up at her AOS interview.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The OP should not apply for or attempt to use AP. She is in overstay as her I-94 expired yesterday!

If the files AOS even with AP and leaves the country then her AOS application will be considered abandoned.

No it won't. I'm sorry but you're confused. The OP's I-94 expired YESTERDAY. She has NOT accrued enough overstay days to incur a ban and is perfectly fine to use AP and wouldn't be the first.

**Edit - posted before seeing that Jim corrected you as well.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Can you confirm that she left and rentered before her GC was approved? I agree with Jim that she could have severe issues. She should not have been let back in if she didn't have her greencard, and from what I understand can be denied at interview because she abandoned her status by leaving so long ago and will possibly need to file a waiver for the ban... Jim might know more there but to reiterate IF there is less than 180 days of overstay then there shouldn't be a problem. I personally wouldn't risk it if it's close to that, but a couple of days is no problem.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Bob 4 Anna..

You maybe correct, but without looking into this deeper, My wife and I had the same situation... We submitted our AOS Package 2 days after the I-94 Expired... We received the AP and EAD about 45 days later, and she travelled to Colombia... While she was gone, she the GC arrived... She had no issues returning to the US, with only the AP.. However, she travelled with a packet of documents, like the Marriage Certificate and teh NOA1 from teh I-485 Application and so forth..

Not saying that you're wrong, but wonder why seemingly so many are able to use AP after the I-94 Expires..

Kenny

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

many thanks for your advice, greatly appreciates it!

actually i've been here in US since mid july. thought would just be married and thats it, end of the process! didnt did my research well, i stopped when i got my visa. too bad! looks like i've missed some opportunities like getting an SSN or something.

my I-94 had expired today. have not started on any other paper works yet. maybe its about to time for me to start applying for AOS...

p.s.

if im able to submit all the necessary documents for AOS, how soon you think i can travel back and forth US?

When you file for AOS, also file at the same time for AP. Look at my timeline below. From the day I sent the package, it took 2 months to get the AP. So, if you want to ahve your AP on hand before Christmas, I recommend you file....today! Good luck!

K-1 TIMELINE11/03/2010 Mailed I-129F Petition to USCIS VSC
11/15/2010 Received NOA1 in the mail
02/04/2011 Requested expediting of case for military deployment
02/11/2011 Expediting request approved
02/22/2011 Received expediting request approval letter in the mail
02/28/2011 NOA2 Document Received in the mail
02/28/2011 NVC received and case # assigned
03/01/2011 Case sent to Embassy
03/04/2011 Case received at the Embassy
03/09/2011 Embassy sent Packet 3 via mail (we did not wait for it, downloaded forms online)
03/15/2011 Sent Packet 3 to the Embassy
03/18/2011 Embassy received Packet 3 in the mail
03/28/2011 Received Packet 4 from Embassy
04/20/2011 Embassy Interview Date (APPROVED)
04/27/2011 POE JFK, NY
AOS/AE/AP TIMELINE
06/24/2011 Mailed the AOS/EA/AP
07/05/2011 Received NOA1's for the AP/AE/AOS dated 06/27/2011
07/08/2011 Received NOA for biometrics appointment
07/25/2011 Biometrics appointment
08/24/2011 Received AP/AE card in the mail
09/08/2011 AOS interview APPROVED
09/09/2011 Card in production
09/19/2011 Green card on hand!

I-130 TIMELINE - STEPDAUGHTER I-751 TIMELINE-WIFE

04/07/2013 Mailed I-130 petition 06/10/2013 Mailed I-751 petition

04/14/2013 Received NOA1 inthe mail 06/19/2013 Received NOA1 in mail

05/04/2013 Requested expediting due to military deployment %

Timeline

You should file your AOS Package as soon as possible.. YOu will need to go to a Biometrics appointment, but your AP and EAD should take about 60-75 Days.. And you GC should arrive in about 120 days...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Bob 4 Anna..

You maybe correct, but without looking into this deeper, My wife and I had the same situation... We submitted our AOS Package 2 days after the I-94 Expired... We received the AP and EAD about 45 days later, and she travelled to Colombia... While she was gone, she the GC arrived... She had no issues returning to the US, with only the AP.. However, she travelled with a packet of documents, like the Marriage Certificate and teh NOA1 from teh I-485 Application and so forth..

Not saying that you're wrong, but wonder why seemingly so many are able to use AP after the I-94 Expires..

Kenny

I'd just like to say that after everything we went thought to get my wife (then fiance). Neither one of was would to anything (like leaving the country) without being 100% sure that she would be admitted again. I undertand that you miss your family and want to spend Christmas with them, but is it worth the risk to you? That is the question.

I would also like to point out that in the letter accompaning the AP card, it said that the AP card does not "guarantee" reentry in the US. It is it still the decision of the officer. Look at you the letter that came with your AP card. What ever you decide, good luck!

K-1 TIMELINE11/03/2010 Mailed I-129F Petition to USCIS VSC
11/15/2010 Received NOA1 in the mail
02/04/2011 Requested expediting of case for military deployment
02/11/2011 Expediting request approved
02/22/2011 Received expediting request approval letter in the mail
02/28/2011 NOA2 Document Received in the mail
02/28/2011 NVC received and case # assigned
03/01/2011 Case sent to Embassy
03/04/2011 Case received at the Embassy
03/09/2011 Embassy sent Packet 3 via mail (we did not wait for it, downloaded forms online)
03/15/2011 Sent Packet 3 to the Embassy
03/18/2011 Embassy received Packet 3 in the mail
03/28/2011 Received Packet 4 from Embassy
04/20/2011 Embassy Interview Date (APPROVED)
04/27/2011 POE JFK, NY
AOS/AE/AP TIMELINE
06/24/2011 Mailed the AOS/EA/AP
07/05/2011 Received NOA1's for the AP/AE/AOS dated 06/27/2011
07/08/2011 Received NOA for biometrics appointment
07/25/2011 Biometrics appointment
08/24/2011 Received AP/AE card in the mail
09/08/2011 AOS interview APPROVED
09/09/2011 Card in production
09/19/2011 Green card on hand!

I-130 TIMELINE - STEPDAUGHTER I-751 TIMELINE-WIFE

04/07/2013 Mailed I-130 petition 06/10/2013 Mailed I-751 petition

04/14/2013 Received NOA1 inthe mail 06/19/2013 Received NOA1 in mail

05/04/2013 Requested expediting due to military deployment %

Timeline

I'd just like to say that after everything we went thought to get my wife (then fiance). Neither one of was would to anything (like leaving the country) without being 100% sure that she would be admitted again. I undertand that you miss your family and want to spend Christmas with them, but is it worth the risk to you? That is the question.

I would also like to point out that in the letter accompaning the AP card, it said that the AP card does not "guarantee" reentry in the US. It is it still the decision of the officer. Look at you the letter that came with your AP card. What ever you decide, good luck!

Yea, I completely agree with you... I had to weigh out the risks and the potential for disaster, against my wifes strong desire to see her daughter and her family..

After asking a few times here on VJ, about the possible problems, we decided the risk was minimal and I couldnt keep my wife from going to see her family after being here for 6 months...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.