Onyx & Inari

Here... Not yet Married - But now what?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi, so...

Now I'm here, living in New Mexico. But what to do now, I want to know the best way of doing things rather than have to repeat something again later on down the line.

So do I go out and get an SSN on my I-94, or wait till I'm married? Is it even worth trying to Obtain a drivers permit/license now, or yet again wait till after I'm married?

I'm going round in circles, and I havent even looked in to opening a bank account etc...

Any advice will be welcomed!

Thanks in advance

Edited by Onyx & Inari

01/14/11 - Filed I-129F

01/20/11 - NOA1 Received (Forwarded to the dreaded VSC)

01/28/11 - "Touched"

05/18/11 - NOA2 Approved

06/14/11 - Received Packet 3

06/17/11 - Sent Packet 3

07/22/11 - Medical

09/09/11 - Interview - Approved!

09/15/11 - Visa received

10/05/11 - Flying out

11/02/11 - Married

11/05/11 - I-485 EAD and AP filed!

12/12/11 - I-485 and all that other good stuff received

02/11/12 - Biometrics

02/15/12 - Paper work moved from Vermont to California

02/25/12 - EAD received (expires 02/25/13)

December 2012 still nothing...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Do whatever you want, you're here now! If you're female, you may as well wait till after the wedding to get the SSN so it can have your new name on the SSN card. Sounds like you're not planning on getting married right away or else you would be focused on that instead of trying to keep busy till the wedding.

K-1 Visa
04-29-2011: I-129F Sent
05-05-2011: I-129F NOA1
07-18-2011: I-129F NOA2
08-08-2011: NVC Received
08-09-2011: NVC Left
08-10-2011: Consulate Received
08-26-2011: Consulate mailed Packet 3 (invitation letter)
09-01-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in US
09-10-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in Mexico
09-22-2011: Interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-04-2011: DHL Waybill number appears in the afternoon
10-05-2011: Picked up visa from DHL office
11-08-2011: POE Houston, Texas
11-19-2011: Married!

AOS
12-06-2011: Applied for Social Security Number
12-08-2011: AOS package sent (I-485, I-765, I-131, and supporting docs)
12-12-2011: Received Social Security Number and card in the mail
12-20-2011: Received NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-131
01-06-2012: Completed ASC appointment
02-02-2012: Received appointment notice for AOS interview on March 1, 2012
03-01-2012: Green card interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-10-2012: Green card received

ROC

12-27-2013: I-751 Sent

01-02-2014: Received NOA1 for I-751

01-24-2014: Completed ASC appointment

04-01-2014: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no interview)

CITIZENSHIP

11-14-2016: N-400 Sent

05-19-2017: Naturalization interview:  APPROVED!!!!!!!

06-28-2017: Citizenship ceremony

Check out the AOS forum here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-family-based-visas/

You can get a SSN now if you like, but it is not required for AOS. If you do get it now though, it will "unlock" a lot of official personal business, like make it easier to get a bank account etc. As to the DL, most people can't get a DL until they have either EAD or GC, but you have to check with your state to see their own laws. I'd "let my fingers do the walking" before running all around town trying to plead with people. In other words - call/research before you go.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

Most people can't get married either unless they have SSN. At least, that is how it appears to be for my state... not sure if there is any way around it. I'm expecting we'll have to go to social security office twice, once to get SSN to get married, and second time to change the name. That seems dumb though.

With regard to a driver license, I can't speak for NM particularly - but in CA - you CAN get a license before AOS; however, it will expire when your I-94 does. Not advisable!

Do you still have your foreign license? You can drive on that!

Most people can't get married either unless they have SSN. At least, that is how it appears to be for my state... not sure if there is any way around it. I'm expecting we'll have to go to social security office twice, once to get SSN to get married, and second time to change the name. That seems dumb though.

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

There was a federal law passed that SSN is not required for marriage in any state. I have not yet found a single state that actually does require one by their own lawbooks, though the people who dole out the license might not know. I have seen many many people claim that in their state they need a SSN for marriage, and I have found the law for each that disproves the statement. Some states require SSN for marriage if the person has a SSN, but if they do not, they sign a statement that they have no such document. I am nearly certain if you would look at your own state laws you would find SSN is not required.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

My state's website says that a SSN is required for a marriage license, but a quick phone call to the county clerk cleared up that if you are not a US citizen, you aren't required to have one. I imagine that's the same for most (if not all) states.

Filed: Timeline

There was a federal law passed that SSN is not required for marriage in any state. I have not yet found a single state that actually does require one by their own lawbooks, though the people who dole out the license might not know. I have seen many many people claim that in their state they need a SSN for marriage, and I have found the law for each that disproves the statement. Some states require SSN for marriage if the person has a SSN, but if they do not, they sign a statement that they have no such document. I am nearly certain if you would look at your own state laws you would find SSN is not required.

Well that's good to know. It is confusing though, because both state and town web sites indicate the SSN requirement, as well as every other web site I happened to stumble across about the rules. And, the marriage license form also has a line for SSN. I wonder if the town clerk is aware of the law or if they'll insist the SSN needs to be there for them to accept it.

Well that's good to know. It is confusing though, because both state and town web sites indicate the SSN requirement, as well as every other web site I happened to stumble across about the rules. And, the marriage license form also has a line for SSN. I wonder if the town clerk is aware of the law or if they'll insist the SSN needs to be there for them to accept it.

I suggest calling them. That's what I had to do. :)

What state? I checked up on a report of Georgia, and while everything online said you needed SSN, there was a notation to the law itself, and when I read the law, SSN was not needed. So, what state? We can test our internet research mettle.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I moved to NM as well and you can get a marriage license and certificate without any SSN. So I'd say: plan your wedding!

However you will absolutely need a SSN to trade in your foreign driver's license and according to half MVD office clerks here in Albuquerque (the other half didn't have a clue), you have 90 days to comply and get a local driver's license after moving to the state. I was told they do not enforce it much. I did my business with MVD Express and I would recommend paying the extra $30 or so. Instead of waiting hours at a regular MVD office you'll be done much more quickly. You will also have to take (and pay for) the written exam, which you can study online, and bring 3 proof of residence (utility bills and car insurance with both your name and address no older than 30 days are best).

Banking was close to impossible prior to SSN (I was even told by my banker they would rather wait for me to have my green card before they did business with me!) and finding the best option for us took a while. We turned my husband's account into a joint account and I applied as a co-applicant on his credit card. This way, I am also building credit. I was approved without any credit history in the U.S.

If you have any questions NM-specific, feel free to PM me.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

i got married 3 days after i came to the states :D 2 weeks later i got my SSN with my new lastname on it ;) now we getting ready to send AOS :).

[*]june2009: met online

[*]july 28 2009: start dating

[*]october 09 2009: met in person

[*]oct 11 2009:he proposed :D i know crazy lol

[*]october 28 2009: deployment to iraq :(

[*]november 05 2010: visit to mexico for 20 days :D

[*]november 25 2010: last time i hold him :(

[*]january 18 2011: k-1 sent

[*]feb 09 2011:NOA1

[*]june 03 2011: NOA2 :D

[*]july 1st 2011: packet 3 yayy

[*]august 18 2011: interview! hoping for the best

[*]august 18 2011: APROVED :D

[*]sepyember 3 2011: POE

[*]september 6 2011: marriage yayy

jXxLm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi, so...

Now I'm here, living in New Mexico. But what to do now, I want to know the best way of doing things rather than have to repeat something again later on down the line.

So do I go out and get an SSN on my I-94, or wait till I'm married? Is it even worth trying to Obtain a drivers permit/license now, or yet again wait till after I'm married?

I'm going round in circles, and I havent even looked in to opening a bank account etc...

Any advice will be welcomed!

Thanks in advance

I might be wrong, but I think that NM is one of the few states that allows to get a driver license regardless of the immigration status, meaning that you are not required to show a GC.

Filed: Other Timeline

There are only 3 States of the Union left that issue a driver's license without proof of lawful presence: Washington, Utah, and New Mexico.

So you can apply, but you will have to proof that you are residing in the state of New Mexico. They will want to see your rent or lease, utility bills, etc.

I still would suggest the following: get your SSN in your maiden name now.

Wait until you've received either your Green Card or your EAD before you apply for a driver's license.

I don't feel like explaining it in detail now, but it has to do with the fact that you can drive without problems with your British license for quite some time, but if you get a New Mexico license and it expires, you are in the system as "license to operate a motor vehicle expired" and that's something that would prevent you from driving (lawfully) with your British license as well.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.