cmoore25

Transferring money...what's the best way visa wise?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

So, I know I've read on here to be careful about wiring money from the beneficiary to the petitioner during the visa process, as it will cause red flags...so what is the best way for my fiance to get his funds moved to my account? We want to have a shared bank account, however, my bank said if he brought it all over in pounds it could take 3-4 weeks for them to process it if it was a large amount. So, they suggested he wire it right before the move.

Thoughts, suggestions or ideas on what the best way to do this is without causing a huge red flag would be great :)

A red flag? Why would it cause that? You're allowed to share funds with the person who will soon own everything you own and vice versa.

Nothing wrong with that as long as its legal.

I transferred my money from HSBC (UK) to Bank of the West (CA). It took about 2 working days, when they said it could take 7. There was a small charge on both ends but it made more sense to me than using one of those websites like paypal that have limits and charge by the %.

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

8th August - Interview in London. APPROVED!

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

20th Oct - Biometrics Letter (for 14th Nov)

28th Oct - Biometrics (walk-in)

2 0 1 2

3 Jan - Service Request Put In

13 Jan - EAD Approved

17 Jan - Interview Notice Received

24 Jan - EAD in hand

16 Feb - Interview Date. APPROVED!

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

6 Jan - Biometrics (walk-in)

15 May - Card Ordered / Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So, I know I've read on here to be careful about wiring money from the beneficiary to the petitioner during the visa process, as it will cause red flags...so what is the best way for my fiance to get his funds moved to my account? We want to have a shared bank account, however, my bank said if he brought it all over in pounds it could take 3-4 weeks for them to process it if it was a large amount. So, they suggested he wire it right before the move.

Thoughts, suggestions or ideas on what the best way to do this is without causing a huge red flag would be great :)

I do not see it as being a problem in Scotland/UK or other low fraud countries. You need to understand that some coutries are very suspicious of visa fraud and look for things like payments, either for "mail order brides" (money going from the US to the beneficiary) and payment for visas (money going from foreign countries to the US citizen). In these consulates it is best not to make an issue of payments, if any. You will read about it here but it does not necessarily apply to you.

In low fraud countries, it is not an issue at all. I was sending Alla money. we had discussed our expenses and our incomes, like adults do. We made a budget of the expenses we were going to incur and we botrh had jobs and incomes. I made more than her, big surprise. Ukraine does not have high pay scales. So I sent money to her to cover expenses for our family that we incurred because of the process. I sent the money by Western Union and presented the receipts as "proof of relationship" The reaction was "Meh...do you have any photos?" No questions asked. I would not say it helped, it was ignored.

I DO NOT suggest that ether party send lots of unidentified funds to another person. It was not like "Gary, send me money" In fact Alla refused completely to accept any money until after we worked it out together in person and she knew every expense and all our income. She is still the same way. She will not spend a nickle on anything until she knows the necessities are covered.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

A red flag? Why would it cause that? You're allowed to share funds with the person who will soon own everything you own and vice versa.

I transferred my money from HSBC (UK) to Bank of the West (CA). It took about 2 working days, when they said it could take 7. There was a small charge on both ends but it made more sense to me than using one of those websites like paypal that have limits and charge by the %.

It is in some consulates. Not UK/Scotland/Ireland, former Soviet Union, EU, Australia, Canada, etc.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Gary and Alla - thank you!! I was unsure if it was high-fraud country specific, or, if it pertained to all K1 visas. I just knew that somebody had mentioned it might look like he was paying me for the visa - which he's not!!! I just wanted to make sure I asked, and did things the right way :) :)

Timeline

Gary and Alla - thank you!! I was unsure if it was high-fraud country specific, or, if it pertained to all K1 visas. I just knew that somebody had mentioned it might look like he was paying me for the visa - which he's not!!! I just wanted to make sure I asked, and did things the right way :) :)

Some people read or hear things and pass them on as if they apply to everyone. Pretty much ANYTHING that relates to the visa application is consulate specific. People going through India, VietNam, African countries, Middle East countries and even Philippines to a degree have a much more difficult time and if you read those forums you will be scared to death!

But checking it out in the regional forum is the best way to find out.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I've had no worries about using paypal. There is no % fee... the only reason there would be a fee is if you use a debit/credit card rather than bank account. It is FREE if you transfer from a bank account to paypal.

I personally send money from my US bank account to my US paypal (free), then from my US paypal to AUS paypal (free) and then from my AUS paypal to Aus bank account (free). I personally recommend that :) It's also free to send to anothers paypal from your paypal.

Good luck :)

I think if you are the sponsor and you did not wire the funds it may cause a red flag. Honestly I don't think they care how you send money. Just keep proof of it. The receipts from sending money are actual good proof of an ongoing relationship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I think if you are the sponsor and you did not wire the funds it may cause a red flag. Honestly I don't think they care how you send money. Just keep proof of it. The receipts from sending money are actual good proof of an ongoing relationship.

No receipts AREN'T good proof of an ongoing relationship. They sometimes help but they often hurt.. especially in high fraud countries. As others have said, it can look like someone is "buying" their visa, or it can look like someone is "buying" a wife. Neither of those are good things. It's always better not to inform USCIS of monetary transfers except for bdays and other events.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In the Philippines many, many men pay their fiancees to quit their jobs and or supplement their income. It is so common. I haven't heard of any getting denied for that or in transferring money for reasonable expenses without other real red flags. Please show me if I am wrong because I would like to know. This seems so common that I have to agree that if they didn't send any money, it might raise a red flag. That being said, if they sent money for no reason at all, like thousands of dollars..with no justification... that too could be a red flag.

In my case, I am going to attach the western union recepeipts to the emails discussing dental work, and receipts at the dentist that I paid for. Certainly they wouldn't think I was buying someone for dental work. In any event, you have to tell the truth because they will ask you if money was sent and lying to the government could end very bad for you.

How would the embassy even know he transferred funds unless you showed them a bank ststement with a new large deposit?

xe.com seems popular with a lot of British VJ members.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

When my Fiancee comes here will she have to pay taxes on any money brought into the country?

My Proposal to kristine!!! :)

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-25

I-129F RFE(s): NONE!!!

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-02

Interview Date : 2011-09-01

Interview Result : Approved

01/27/2011 - Trevor's N400 submitted
02/18/2011 - Married
04/02/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received - priority date 03/30/2011
07/08/2011 - Trevor is now a USC - called USCIS to request upgrade of the petition.
08/02/2011 - NOA2
09/08/2011 - LND case number received, medical booked
09/26/2011 - Case complete at NVC
09/30/2011 - Interview date assigned
11/08/2011 - Interview - approved!!
11/10/2011 - Visa in hand
12/04/2011 - POE in Atlanta
12/12/2011 - SSN number received in mail
12/12/2011 - Welcome notice received
01/06/2012 - Green card received
09/06/2013 - File for Removal of Conditions
10/01/2013 - Biometrics for ROC
02/03/2014 - Card production email received

02/17/2014 - 2nd card production email received

02/28/2014 - 10 year Green card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Half. Only half. at least in California and in other community property states. and not counting separate property.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I don't know about K1 or out of US financial implications but what of a spouse of a USC in the US not working and have established financial joint account?. Would that be construed as paying for AOS? It wasn't in my case and I think its cant be in your case. It is just how you explain your current situations. If you are in your country of origin then why aren't you working so a USC has to send you money or vice versa.....just logically think of the interview and the implications. Be genuine and all will go well....

• 06/26/2019 - I-130 priority date
  • 01/08/2020 - I-130 approved
  • 04/02/2020 - DQ (Documentarily Qualified )
  • 07/07/2021 - Interview in Nairobi Kenya (approved)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.