AKSinghSingh79

Wedding Guest List....too early to submit?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

So a wedding guest list is almost a must to bring to the interview at most consulates.

But I was wondering, since I already have a guest list, why not submit it now along with my I-129F? I've used TheKnot.com to create a tentative wedding guest list and an approximate wedding date.

The handy thing about TheKnot is they also include a space for contact info.

I think I have way too much time on my hands whistling.gif but hey less work to do later! Is it a bad idea to send so much stuff now? i.e. Will it raise red flags this early in the process?

I also am planning on getting a notarized statement verifying the authenticity of our relationship from friends of mine that will be on my wedding party and family members, all who have met my fiance and know him well.

I can't see how more information can be an issue but dealing with New Delhi is always risky so I wanted to make sure.

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I've never heard of folks submitting a guest list. But if it is something that your embassy/consulate routinely asks for then absolutely submit one.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

I've never heard of folks submitting a guest list. But if it is something that your embassy/consulate routinely asks for then absolutely submit one.

I know Delhi routinely asks for it during the interview and that couples have received a 121g slip for not having it when they come to the interview.

I also know that many CO will not take the time to review much of the evidence a couple brings to the interview and may give a 121g or put the couple in AP even if they did have the guest list.

I figured that if I submitted there would be a higher probability of them looking at it now instead of waiting until the interview and having them skip over it and place us in AP. headbonk.gif

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I figured that if I submitted there would be a higher probability of them looking at it now
Good thinking, si man. The consulates are not supposed to ignore information that USCIS has seen, and they're not supposed to refuse visas on the basis of anything that USCIS has seen (and "approved of," if USCIS passes the petition and it reaches the consular stage).

I'm not sure whether adding a tentative wedding date is advisable or not; it could be viewed as "presumptuous." Regardless, front-loading your I-129F petition with information that New Delhi is known to require sounds like a shrewd move and good preparation.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Good thinking, si man. The consulates are not supposed to ignore information that USCIS has seen, and they're not supposed to refuse visas on the basis of anything that USCIS has seen (and "approved of," if USCIS passes the petition and it reaches the consular stage).

I didn't know that! That's really good to know for the future. Thanks for that piece of information!

I'm not sure whether adding a tentative wedding date is advisable or not; it could be viewed as "presumptuous." Regardless, front-loading your I-129F petition with information that New Delhi is known to require sounds like a shrewd move and good preparation.

Yes, I had reservations about doing this as well. Glad to have a second opinion on it. Maybe I'll wait until we are at the interview stage to submit our wedding date along with the name of the officiant performing the ceremony.

Thanks!

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Timeline

You're welcome, si man. After some searching, I found the article that I was looking for:

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0323-ellis.shtm

What I said above is explained very well in the last paragraph of "Practice Tip #1," but read the whole fascinating article.

Marc Ellis is an immigration attorney who visits this site. His VJ name is ellis-island.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

You're welcome, si man. After some searching, I found the article that I was looking for:

http://www.ilw.com/a...0323-ellis.shtm

What I said above is explained very well in the last paragraph of "Practice Tip #1," but read the whole fascinating article.

Marc Ellis is an immigration attorney who visits this site. His VJ name is ellis-island.

Very helpful article, thanks for providing the link. I'm extremely glad that I read this article before we filed the I-129F.

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Timeline
Very helpful article, thanks for providing the link. I'm extremely glad that I read this article before we filed the I-129F.
You're welcome. I wanted to be 100% sure that I expressed the earlier thought exactly as it should have been said. Plus, it's been awhile since that article has been publicized, and it will be helpful to others in this forum. I have confidence that you'll compile a great petition package and fend off the monkeyshines from New Delhi before they can occur, si man! :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I know Delhi routinely asks for it during the interview and that couples have received a 121g slip for not having it when they come to the interview.

I also know that many CO will not take the time to review much of the evidence a couple brings to the interview and may give a 121g or put the couple in AP even if they did have the guest list.

I figured that if I submitted there would be a higher probability of them looking at it now instead of waiting until the interview and having them skip over it and place us in AP. headbonk.gif

New Delhi asks for this all the time. It's best to provide them whatever they might issue a 221g for prior to the interview. They've also been known to ask for a copy of the beneficiary's voter id card and last five years of voting records.

We turned in a guest list, a notarized statement that my fiance doesn't vote, 12 notarized letters of support from our families and friends, a letter and pictures detailing my bridal shower, screen shots from our theknot.com page, a renewed letter of intent that answered questions I thought they might have like why we hadn't physically met each other's parents, evidence of us interacting with each other's family via email, phone or Skype, why we didn't have a large engagement party, why we went the K1 instead of marriage route, pictures of all of his stuff I've brought home over the past year and integrated into our home, phone logs, email logs, Skype logs.

I provided all of that and when we walked up to the CO's counter, the 221g was already printed and ready for us. BUT, when the CO saw me and found out who I was, in the trash it went. Moral of my story: be as prepared as you can be and still expect a 221g. If at all possible, show up for the interview too.

By the way, I've read multiple stories where New Delhi or other Indian consulates issued a 221g for evidence that they already had in their possession and when the beneficiary pointed that out and tried to make them look at it, they said they wouldn't review it and it would have to be turned into the VFS again. :bonk: Proof that they don't look at everything you send them.

Edited by Bec_Dipu

Bec & Dipu

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2010-11-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-04-21

NVC Received : 2011-04-27

NVC Left : 2011-05-05

Embassy Rcvd : 2011-05-08

Pack 3 Rcvd : 2011-05-11

Pack 3 Sent : 2011-06-23

Pack 4 Rcvd : 2011-07-08

Interview : 2011-08-03

Visa Received : 2011-11-09

POE : 2012-01-13

Marriage : 2012-01-21

AOS/EAD Sent : 2012-02-13

NOA1 : 2012-02-22

Timeline

New Delhi asks for this all the time. It's best to provide them whatever they might issue a 221g for prior to the interview. They've also been known to ask for a copy of the beneficiary's voter id card and last five years of voting records.

I had no idea about the voting stuff. We'll include that information as well.

We turned in a guest list, a notarized statement that my fiance doesn't vote, 12 notarized letters of support from our families and friends, a letter and pictures detailing my bridal shower, screen shots from our theknot.com page, a renewed letter of intent that answered questions I thought they might have like why we hadn't physically met each other's parents, evidence of us interacting with each other's family via email, phone or Skype, why we didn't have a large engagement party, why we went the K1 instead of marriage route, pictures of all of his stuff I've brought home over the past year and integrated into our home, phone logs, email logs, Skype logs.

In your opinion, how important is an engagement party? I've heard that they are important to show at the New Delhi consulate but not so common when dealing with the Mumbai consulate. Regardless, Kirpal and I are planning on doing a small engagement party for his family when I come to visit in January.

I provided all of that and when we walked up to the CO's counter, the 221g was already printed and ready for us. BUT, when the CO saw me and found out who I was, in the trash it went. Moral of my story: be as prepared as you can be and still expect a 221g. If at all possible, show up for the interview too.

I will attend that interview, if it kills me! laughing.gif

By the way, I've read multiple stories where New Delhi or other Indian consulates issued a 221g for evidence that they already had in their possession and when the beneficiary pointed that out and tried to make them look at it, they said they wouldn't review it and it would have to be turned into the VFS again. :bonk: Proof that they don't look at everything you send them.

Grrrrr, so irritating. We're definitely gearing up for a fight wacko.gif

Edited by AKSinghSingh79

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Approach NWD with severe caution.

Bombay and Madras don't seem to be PITAs, though.

My husband didn't attend the interview (I felt that it was better that I attend the interview alone given that, according to him, remembering my "birthday AND our anniversary date is too much stuff" for him to remember) and our interview lasted for less than 3 minutes.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

So a wedding guest list is almost a must to bring to the interview at most consulates.

But I was wondering, since I already have a guest list, why not submit it now along with my I-129F? I've used TheKnot.com to create a tentative wedding guest list and an approximate wedding date.

The handy thing about TheKnot is they also include a space for contact info.

I think I have way too much time on my hands whistling.gif but hey less work to do later! Is it a bad idea to send so much stuff now? i.e. Will it raise red flags this early in the process?

I also am planning on getting a notarized statement verifying the authenticity of our relationship from friends of mine that will be on my wedding party and family members, all who have met my fiance and know him well.

I can't see how more information can be an issue but dealing with New Delhi is always risky so I wanted to make sure.

It's not required for the Moscow Embassy and I'd bet for most it is not.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's not required for the Moscow Embassy and I'd bet for most it is not.

regardless of any consulate requirement, it certainly is not needed or even wanted by the uscis

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

If things like wedding lists are required for places like New Delhi, then they really put you through the ringer. Honestly, I never heard of such a thing as this until you made this post. wow.I cannot understand why the number of people at a wedding has anything to do with immigration. At my wedding there was me, my wife, a good friend as a witness,and the justice of the peace.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.