Time Tested

Family Immigration Question

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I need alittle direcion from the VJ family. My husband can home last year in and became a permanent resident in DEC. of 2010. We want to file for his mother, so she can be here to witness the birth of her first grandchild and help care for her while we work. What is the proper form to complete? Does my husband have to complete the I-130? Does he have to become a US citizen before filing for her? Your feedback and comments are very welcomed.

You Fancy Huh?

I need alittle direcion from the VJ family. My husband can home last year in and became a permanent resident in DEC. of 2010. We want to file for his mother, so she can be here to witness the birth of her first grandchild and help care for her while we work. What is the proper form to complete? Does my husband have to complete the I-130? Does he have to become a US citizen before filing for her? Your feedback and comments are very welcomed.

Yes, Only USC can petition for parents.

PD: 30 DEC 2008

CC: 12 DEC 2010

Interview: 04 OCT 2011: Approved

POE: 15 OCT 2011 JFK

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

ditto, to live here your husband has to become a USC.

now to visit, she would have to apply for a tourist visa on her own and show strong ties to her country of origin. but it is a tourist visa, not to become a nanny.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

She can apply for s tourist visa... And come here for 5 months to BABY SIT... CORRECT..Thats not immigration... They ask... She's coming to VISIT.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Moving to tourist visa.

OP, your mother in law will never get a tourist visa to babysit - it's illegal to provide any kind of services for which another person would be paid while on tourist visa and babysitting is exactly that.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Moving to tourist visa.

OP, your mother in law will never get a tourist visa to babysit - it's illegal to provide any kind of services for which another person would be paid while on tourist visa and babysitting is exactly that.

Milimeo..... The poster said nothing about the mother coming to work in exchange for money... to baby sit in exchange for money. So we can't say that. I can't even say she will never get a visa to visit her son and baby sit.

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Money is irrelevant, she would need a work visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Money is irrelevant, she would need a work visa.

On what basis will the parent apply for a work visa to visit her family?

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Whoa, Whoa! I would never ask my mother-in-law to come here as a nanny that is so disrespectful. As two working professionals, it would be nice for her to witness the birth of her first grandchild, and help us adjust into our new roles during those early weeks. With that said, thank you all for your response. I will recommend that she apply for a visitor Visa. She is gainfully employed and owns her own home, so she shouldn't have any difficulties showing and explaining her ties to JA.

You Fancy Huh?

Timeline

Whoa, Whoa! I would never ask my mother-in-law to come here as a nanny that is so disrespectful. As two working professionals, it would be nice for her to witness the birth of her first grandchild, and help us adjust into our new roles during those early weeks. With that said, thank you all for your response. I will recommend that she apply for a visitor Visa. She is gainfully employed and owns her own home, so she shouldn't have any difficulties showing and explaining her ties to JA.

mabe they THINK she is trying to ESCAPE Jamaica because you mention "can green card holder petition mother." i agree they were just saying random things. have her apply and come for 3-5 MONTHS... don't worry about what other might say next...

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Milimeo..... The poster said nothing about the mother coming to work in exchange for money... to baby sit in exchange for money. So we can't say that. I can't even say she will never get a visa to visit her son and baby sit.

Even if she is not getting paid - that is considered illegal.

Refrain from giving advice which is against the law.

Timeline

Even if she is not getting paid - that is considered illegal.

Refrain from giving advice which is against the law.

dont go there... HOW is it against the law..? My advise stands... i will suggest that All day long every day... it is not illegal.. just stop

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: Timeline

Here is a spin for all to consider.

It's work looking after a newborn. I don't care if you do it for love alone. It is still work even if no money changes hands. Anyone who has ever had to take care of a newborn will tell you that it is a lot of work.

Child care is considered work. If a US person can be employed to do it, then it is work. Lots of parents hire other people to care for their children and pay them, therefore child care is work.

A person can come to the US on a visitor visa to visit a grandchild. A person cannot come to the US on a visitor visa to provide child care for a grandchild. (YES - it's customary in many cultures for the grandmother to spend time caring for a newborn grandchild. These cultural customs don't matter when it comes to immigration laws and employment laws in the US.)

So, it does matter what a person say when interviewing for a visitor visa. Visiting a child = okay for a visitor visa. Caring for the child = not okay for a visitor visa.

What's the difference between visiting and doing things for a grandchild and providing child care???? I don't know, and I don't care. What I do know is that mentioning caring for the child is a BIG problem in getting a visitor visa.

Edited by Jojo92122

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Work is work is work.

The only exception is volunteering where nobody would normally be paid, cat shelter or something. Do they have Meals on Wheels?

BTW the title of the tread is Family Immigration Question

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Here is a spin for all to consider.

So, it does matter what a person say when interviewing for a visitor visa. Visiting a child = okay for a visitor visa. Caring for the child = not okay for a visitor visa.

What's the difference between visiting and doing things for a grandchild and providing child care???? I don't know, and I don't care. What I do know is that mentioning caring for the child is a BIG problem in getting a visitor visa.

Thanks for the Spin JoJo.. I know you have been around for a few short months good info.

At this point there is no mention to visit "to care for" or "to work with " and anyone... that not the purpose of the visit.. it's ok Information is set and decision made and visa will be applied for at a Kingston embassy office... dont sweat it at this point.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.