kr78

Wife concerned about getting in trouble

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

My wife who is a US citizen and I, who is a Canadian citizen got married last october. We are having issues because she is concerned that she may get into legal trouble by being married to me. She spoke to lawyer from her company about her legal rights and he gave her info saying that if we send the paperwork in I could get deported. Long story short I overstayed my visit and am now married and have worked under the table to make money. The lawyer I saw before said don't leave the US and send your paperwork in. Everything I have read and even the USCIS hotline has told me this as well.

Is my wife in any kind of legal trouble being married to me? I told her no as I have never heard of anything to this point. Also, going back to Canada and applying for some kind of visa to get back in to do the same paperwork would be illogical correct?

Thanks everyone

Cheers

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mongolia
Timeline

good.gifgood.gif

DO NOT LEAVE THE US.

You could be detained, but since you are clearly eligible to adjust status, you won't be deported. She will not be in any trouble at all for being married to you. I assume by "sending paperwork in" you mean applying for your Greencard? Someone from her work said if you apply for residency you will get deported? No.

Overstay is forgiven/irrelevant for spouses of US Citizens, as a courtesy to the USC. Illegal work is also irrelevant/forgiven, as long as you haven't fabricated a SSN or claimed to be a USC. You will also need to pay taxes on your previous income.

You should file for Adjustment of Status straightaway. You will get your Greencard in 3-5 months. If you left the US you would trigger a ban for reentering on any visa.

Once the paperwork is accepted for initial review, you will begin a NEW period of authorized stay. Do not apply for the temporary travel permission, called Advance Parole, because you can't use it (though you will be approved for it). Wait until you have the GC to travel.

Ditto Ditto Ditto

Edited by misterbigtoe

th_Untitled-3.jpg?t=1294114030

03/2008--Met while working together in Mongolia
06/21/10--Married in Ulaanbaatar on the Summer solstice
USCIS
09/06/10--I-130 package mailed to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
12/14/10--NOA2 hardcopy rec'd, Dec 09 notice date<APPROVED>86 Days
NVC
12/22/10-NVC / IIN Number issued, AOS bill paid
12/26/10-DS-3032 emailed
January4............IV bill paid, discovered error by preparer
USCIS ROUND 2
01/04/11-- I-130 package for stepson sent express with expedite plea
01/11/11---Congressional expedite plea lodged with USCIS
01/20/11--- Notice date, APPROVED 14 days
NVC ROUND 2
01/26/11--- NVC/IIN Numbers issued, DS-3032 Emailed
02/07/11--- AOS/IV packages fedexed to NVC
02/24/11--- Both Cases Completed at NVC
CONSULAR
04/27/11--- Interview passed
05/29/11--- POE ORD
08/2011--- I-551s arrive

heart.gif NEW YEAR'S EVE 2011, WE WELCOME OUR BABY GIRL TO THE FAMILYheart.gif

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

04/18/13--- I-751 mailed

09/25/13---ROC approval

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

DO NOT LEAVE THE US.

You could be detained, but since you are clearly eligible to adjust status, you won't be deported. She will not be in any trouble at all for being married to you. I assume by "sending paperwork in" you mean applying for your Greencard? Someone from her work said if you apply for residency you will get deported? No.

Overstay is forgiven/irrelevant for spouses of US Citizens, as a courtesy to the USC. Illegal work is also irrelevant/forgiven, as long as you haven't fabricated a SSN or claimed to be a USC. You will also need to pay taxes on your previous income.

You should file for Adjustment of Status straightaway. You will get your Greencard in 3-5 months. If you left the US you would trigger a ban for reentering on any visa.

Once the paperwork is accepted for initial review, you will begin a NEW period of authorized stay. Do not apply for the temporary travel permission, called Advance Parole, because you can't use it (though you will be approved for it). Wait until you have the GC to travel.

Thank you so much for the advice. I was told this by a lawyer and also USCIS hotline and read it on this forum but my wife is scarred because she has been getting advice from people who have no idea how immigration works.

She should not listen to them... really. I assume they think it is better to hide and that by sending in papers you will notify them of your presence? They have no idea how immigration works and what benefits you are eligible for... AT ALL. You are not an undocumented alien, you have overstayed your visa. Like I said, this is irrelevant/forgiven for spouses of USCs, as a courtesy to the USC.

You two should have applied right after your marriage, and you'd be a Legal Permanent Resident by now. But anyway, apply ASAP :)

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi all,

My wife who is a US citizen and I, who is a Canadian citizen got married last october. We are having issues because she is concerned that she may get into legal trouble by being married to me. She spoke to lawyer from her company about her legal rights and he gave her info saying that if we send the paperwork in I could get deported. Long story short I overstayed my visit and am now married and have worked under the table to make money. The lawyer I saw before said don't leave the US and send your paperwork in. Everything I have read and even the USCIS hotline has told me this as well.

Is my wife in any kind of legal trouble being married to me? I told her no as I have never heard of anything to this point. Also, going back to Canada and applying for some kind of visa to get back in to do the same paperwork would be illogical correct?

Thanks everyone

Cheers

You're listening to a business attorney about immigration law? :blink:

American citizens do not get into trouble for falling in love and getting married, regardless who they marry. The lawyer doesn't know his culus from an agro scrobem. :whistle:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

The lawyer doesn't know his culus from an agro scrobem. :whistle:

:lol:

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Timeline

If my school Latin serves me, that would be a person's butt crack compared to an rather agricultural ditch.

Classy.

:blush:

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I wonder how many immigrants really live in RI. I guess it's not a very high procentage and that could be a possible explanation why everybody treats you like a criminal and they examine you like a bug under an old loop.

Welcome to VisaJourney, don't leave US just like everybody says and I must add - from now on do not leave this website. You are eligible to file for AOS and any questions you may have please address them here. This is a great virtual community who would be able to help you more than a business lawyer.

Good luck!

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If it makes her feel better, I am Canadian and was in a similar situation. We got married before the 6 month visa was over, but we waited a whole year to apply for the green card. You will be forgiven for working illegally but be honest about it. Lying about it may get you in trouble. Other than that I see you guys having no problems. In the interview they rarely bring up the overstay. Just make sure you have a lot of evidence to prove you are in a good faith marriage and you will be fine! Good Luck!!

AOS Timeline

06-28-2010 AOS Packet Sent

07-07-2010 Check Cashed $1010 Ugh!

07-09-2010 NOAs received (I-485,I-130,I-765)

07-14-2010 Biometrics appointment letter received

07-14-2010 RFE (I-864)

07-22-2010 Biometrics appointment

08-20-2010 Submitted RFE Reply I-864

08-24-2010 RFE material received

08-26-2010 Email from USCIS EAD Card Approved

09-03-2010 EAD card received!!!

09-08-2010 Notification of interview date (Oct 12th, 2010)

10-12-2010 Interview-Approved!!!!!

10-26-2010 Green Card Arrived!!!!!!!!

No USCIS till 2012. Wohoooooo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.