Divorcing to apply for K-1 instead

48 posts in this topic

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

hichamslove: I truly hope this is some one else or a hypothetical question. And it is not you thinking this way, I did read through your past posts and it sounds like you are in the exact same situation as your "friend". If so you opened a can of worms tonight and just set your self up for a lot of criticism and abuse.

Just hang in there your I-130 just got hung up with the IMBRA mess along with every one else who filed around the same time as you. Things are moving now and it is all down hill from here. (F)

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I'd love to be the adjudicator for THAT AOS... if it got that far!

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Timeline
diadromous mermaid,

I agree with most of what you wrote, with the exception of the piece about location and potential delay. We are talking about breaking a matrimonial bond, for convenience. unforgivable in my book.

If the relationship is good, why would anyone in their right mind divorce for visa benefits? Patience is a virtue!

That and...Chances are, memorialising a divorce overseas will take longer than if both parties were in the USA. Where are the parties, anyway? Is this a particularly slow consular region that they suspect they're not in the homestretch? Why would an additional K submission move along at any faster pace? My understanding is that you're friends are already well into the process. Why start over? More fees, more uncertainty. It's certainly a circuitous route to just about the same place. in my estimation.

Well, I thought I covered all that had been suggested with my "that and"...but you and I may not believe it's what married people should do, but then 'different strokes for different folks', I guess. Nonetheless, as Hibiscus would say, presenting the same facts in a different light can bring about some rather astonishing results. Maybe it's testament to how so very much they love each other that they'd divorce to be 'together sooner'. :lol: <inside joke> for those who've not been on the other thread.

Not to worry, I'll bonk myself for saying that! :)

mermaid <-------- :bonk:

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

hmmmm...

I think "IDIOT!!!" sums it up just fine!

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif3dflagsdotcom_colom_2fawl.gif

You can visit us at: www.BradAndVicky.com

CR-1 Process (I-130)

06/02/06 - I-130 received @ USCIS Texas Service Center

06/26/06 - NOA1 received, Dated 6/22 & check cashed

08/29/06 - Approved by email - 91 DAYS!!!

09/05/06 - NOA2 received by mail

09/20/06 - NVC assigned Case #

10/02/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Generated

10/04/06 - DS3032 Shortcut Emailed & AOS Fee Bill Shortcut Sent

10/06/06 - Received email acceptance of DS3032

10/18/06 - Received & Returned IV Fee Bill

10/20/06 - I-864 Package Generated, Shorcut Sent

11/01/06 - DS-230 Package Generated, Shortcut Sent

12/01/06 - Case Complete!!!

12/07/06 - Case sent to US Embassy, Bogota

01/15/07 - Received packet from Bogota!

01/30/07 - Bogota Interview - Approved! (visa received same day)

02/08/07 - Welcome to the E.U. mi Amor!

diadromous mermaid,

I agree with most of what you wrote, with the exception of the piece about location and potential delay. We are talking about breaking a matrimonial bond, for convenience. unforgivable in my book.

If the relationship is good, why would anyone in their right mind divorce for visa benefits? Patience is a virtue!

That and...Chances are, memorialising a divorce overseas will take longer than if both parties were in the USA. Where are the parties, anyway? Is this a particularly slow consular region that they suspect they're not in the homestretch? Why would an additional K submission move along at any faster pace? My understanding is that you're friends are already well into the process. Why start over? More fees, more uncertainty. It's certainly a circuitous route to just about the same place. in my estimation.

Well, I thought I covered all that had been suggested with my "that and"...but you and I may not believe it's what married people should do, but then 'different strokes for different folks', I guess. Nonetheless, as Hibiscus would say, presenting the same facts in a different light can bring about some rather astonishing results. Maybe it's testament to how so very much they love each other that they'd divorce to be 'together sooner'. :lol: <inside joke> for those who've not been on the other thread.

Not to worry, I'll bonk myself for saying that! :)

mermaid <-------- :bonk:

Your intentions were good, as usual. :thumbs:

Cheers!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
This is even funnier because I just got my approval! 2 months from CSC!!! :dance::dance::dance:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=32756&hl=

Now don't go doing that, I don't want to read in the news about something bad happening in Minnesota! :whistle:

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Well enough of it!!!!!!!! Please stop making fun now.

At one time, everyone in this process is in a situation of, "get my lover here and I will do whatever it takes".

Even though its a bad bad idea, just look at the facts. This is a person waiting on this process for a long time. And it happens, you sit down you cry and you come up with crazy ideas. At least (s)he didn't do it!!!!!!!!!! It was just an idea. And as good freinds, we must help him/her calm down, and encourage him/her to wait on this and it will be done soon.

So, please help him/her through this. cuz REMEMBER, we all have our ups and downs.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hichamslove

This journey can be a long hard road and sometimes we can and do have crazy thoughts. Divorce so can do K-1 is exactly that...crazy. The I-130 as you say may be approved soon and once at NVC they are looking at 2-3 months depending on how fast the back 'n' forth of the various bills/forms take and on any hold ups with background/security checks. Then its off to the consulate. Not sure how long the wait time is for interviews at that particular consulate but given the time it takes to get a divorce and then refile etc, its gotta be longer then just staying the course. There is always the chance too that the I-129F wont be too much longer before approval and that will hopefully mean a K-3 before the I-130 completes at NVC. All the best to you and to your friends.

Just hang in there your I-130 just got hung up with the IMBRA mess along with every one else who filed around the same time as you. Things are moving now and it is all down hill from here. (F)

I-130's are not affected by IMBRA as the I-129F's for fiance and spouse are.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

A divorce might have bad consequences on your case. How would you explain that to the interviewing officer?

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Hi everyone: just have a question im trying to help someone and they asked me they are married newly weds and they feel that the K-3 process is taking so long and they were told if they get divorced the can reapply for the K-1 which they were told is much faster im not sure what to say to them any feedback that could help me explain more to them would be appreciated they are now waiting for the NOA 2 for the I-130 which i believe will come soon I'm at a loss of what to say to them

I've never heard anything so utterly ridiculous.

You know, everyone likes to quote the bad divorce statistics. But what they fail to take into account is that idiots get married.

Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Marriage : 2006-06-03

I-130 Sent : 2006-06-05

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-06-19

I-130 Approved : 2006-08-09

NVC Received : 2006-08-24

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2006-09-07

Sent back DS-3032 2006-09-08

Sent Bill for I-864 2006-09-12

Received I-864 2006-09-22

Sent back I-864 2006-09-27

Received IV Bill 2006-09-26

Paid IV Bill 2006-09-27

IV Bill entered into NVC system 2006-10-02

Case Complete - 2006-11-21

K3 - First two dates are only approximate as did not keep exact record. Third date onwards is accurate

I-129f sent 2006-19-07

NOA1 received 10 days or so later.

Approval notice mailed from service centre to us 09/13/2006

Received approval notice two weeks later

Touched 14/09/2006

Case forwarded to London 10/03/2006

Have ignored K3 since then as we want the Green Card. Received a packet from Embassy around 10th Oct but did not note exact date.

Filed: Timeline
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude. But that is just about the most retarded thing I've heard in quite awhile. I mean I could go on and on but I've got to stop my self. I just don't have the time to go in to detail here. I'm sure someone else will though.

LOL, oddly enough I was told by an employee of the USCIS that this 'might' be quicker; she was probably kidding. In the UK it would not be quicker, since the time and expense of getting a divorce would be more than the time difference between processing a fiance visa and a spouse visa.

I agree that it's a stupid idea and I don't think the USCIS would be terribly amused either!

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

umm, from what I understand, regardless if this is the OP's situation or the OP's friend's, someone gave them this advice...

we got our share of bad advice when we were going through this process too ...

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.