Yau & Yadi

A question, I need help please....someone :X

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hey, I was reading the instructions for the I864 and it appears you do need the co-sponsor at that time to be an immediate family member just FYI in case you don't find work. Hopefully, this won't be an issue. Plus I have got other items wrong so you might want to check those instructions out for yourself.

No, the joint sponsor can be any US Citizen.

"A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old, domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions, and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for the support of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does not have to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intending immigrant."

You might have gotten this confused with the primary sponsor who must be the petitioner.

"A man who lives within his means, suffers from a lack of imagination"

~Oscar Wilde

Timeline:

07/18/2011 - Mailed I-129F Petition

07/21/2011 - NOA1

10/18/2011 - NOA2

11/14/2011 - Packet 3 Received

02/14/2012 - Interview (3 months?!?!)

03/02/2012 - Passport w/ K1 received!

03/03/2012 - WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG??!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

yadi I'm unemployed, graduated in December and have been back and forth the last 7 months to serbian and back to be with my husband. I had my father co-sponsor and we are scheduled for an Interview on Sept. 27th. I am guessing you will be fine

Oh hey thank you Dana & Mica ;) Nice to know I'm not the only one who's unemployed atm and filing/filed the K-1, or IR-1/CR-1 visas. I wish you the best on the interview date:) hope it all goes well for you guys.

Edit: Thanks Rich&Vero for clarifying the above statement :star:

Edited by Yadi+Yau

You usually have to wait for that which is worth waiting for.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My fiance is on disability and we have a sponsor. I got my visa in 7 months, no problems at all. As long as you have a sponsor I think you'll be fine.

12/23/2010 - filed

05/02/2011 - petition approved

07/19/2011 - interview (approved!!!!!)

08/16/2011 - POE Houston TX

09/19/2011 - married!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey, I was reading the instructions for the I864 and it appears you do need the co-sponsor at that time to be an immediate family member just FYI in case you don't find work. Hopefully, this won't be an issue. Plus I have got other items wrong so you might want to check those instructions out for yourself.

The I-864 is not used by the consulate and the instructions do not apply to the consulate. What you are referring to is the I-864a which is when a member of the same household is a joint sponsor for the AOS, it is not in reference to the visa.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No, the joint sponsor can be any US Citizen.

"A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old, domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions, and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for the support of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does not have to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intending immigrant."

You might have gotten this confused with the primary sponsor who must be the petitioner.

A co-sponsor or joint sponsor can be ANY US citizen OR legal resident for the I-864. He is confusing it with the I-864a which is used if the joint sponsor is a household member which can still be any US citizen or permanent resident.

The consulates use the I-134 for the visa issuance and can decide themselves what restrictions, if any, apply to co-sponsors. The answer has already been given that Havana accepts co-sponsors.

The OP needs to file her I-129f and start looking for a job and/or co-sponsor.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

The I-864 is not used by the consulate and the instructions do not apply to the consulate. What you are referring to is the I-864a which is when a member of the same household is a joint sponsor for the AOS, it is not in reference to the visa.

What I was reading was the I864 not the I864a.

7/15/11 Sent K1 Petition to Lockbox

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

8/12/11 Called USCIS to get receipt number-NOA1 will be resent

8/16/11 Received NOA1 with date of 7/20/11

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

1/12/12 Got email notice we are through the NVC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What I was reading was the I864 not the I864a.

This is what it says in the I-864 instructions:

"If the person who is seeking the immigration of one or more of his or her relatives cannot meet the income requirements, a "joint sponsor" who can meet the requirements may submit a Form I-864 to sponsor all or some of the family members. A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old, domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions, and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for the support of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does not have to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intending immigrant."

It was being pointed out to you, that the part you were reading about relatives/household members was about those residing with you and filing the I-864A. A joint sponsor does not need to be a relative or family member. If you have a relative or family member that lives with you, they can be your joint sponsor by filling out the I-864A and combining their income with yours to meet the 125%. However, this does not apply to the OP, since that is for AOS, and she will use the I-134 at the visa interview, as will her joint sponsor.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi guys, I wanted to ask a question that I just can't find the answer to through google, idk maybe I'm just bad at looking or haven't looked thoroughly. And yes, this is my first post, but I've long been a "stalker" on the forums.

Question:

I plan to file for the K1, to bring my fiance. But I'm currently unemployed, I have no resume of past work, because until now I've been a student. I cannot find an hourly job, I've applied everywhere. I'm worried about putting 'None' on the G-325A "Applicant's employment last five years", and not providing MY (the main) affidavit of support on the I-134.

I could put my close friend as a co-sponsor, she earns around $180,000 a year, which is way more than the federal poverty line of $15k or so. I DO intend to work, and I AM actively seeking a job, I'm not disabled, but worried if I don't provide the main I-134 they will deny the case at the consulate on the interview date, specially when they see no work history (I was a student).

Please, I beg, if someone could help me, or someone that has gone through similar events of unemployment, but provided a co-sponsor. I can provide 2 con-sponsors, each earning more than $150k+ a year, but I don't know if that will do if I don't provide the main one, which is my earnings. I'm not disabled, I'm young, and plan to work, I just can't find a job and I don't know how long this will last.

Thank you all, if you take the time to read this and respond. Sometimes I get depress and lose all hope and even start crying when I start worrying about this.... :(

i would put student, then unemployed, your co-sponsor make plenty of money. Both parties finances will be looked at. Good Luck.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

I know that some consulates do not allow co-sponsors (e.g. Philippines, Vietnam and Nigeria) but some also limit the use of co-sponsors to immediate family members.

The U.S. Embassy Manila (USEM) allows cosponsors for K-1ers on a case-by-case basis.

A coworker of mine successfully used a cosponsor at the USEM. Several other VJ members have reported successfully using cosponsors at the USEM.

Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

- So many students like you petition for their spouses/fiance(e)s every year - you are not alone.

- Approval of the initial petition will be based on whether you have a genuine relationship or not and whether you eligibale for that immigration benefit. It does not matter whether you can support the beneficiary or not or whether you have worked or not. That is an NVC/consulate territory and will be considered at the time of interview.

- You can still sign the affidavit of support even if you have never worked before (and even will never work later) as long as you have an eligible co/joint -sponsor that signs the financial support on behalf of the beneficiary.

- Like others suggested, put student or unemployed and the time line.

Don't worry, your situation is normal and embassies deal with it on a regular basis.

Timeline

The U.S. Embassy Manila (USEM) allows cosponsors for K-1ers on a case-by-case basis.

A coworker of mine successfully used a cosponsor at the USEM. Several other VJ members have reported successfully using cosponsors at the USEM.

Agreed. I know they do make exceptions. But the problem with any unwritten policy is inconsistency and unpredictability. Why they are allowed to hold US citizens to a different standard is beyond me.

~Oscar Wilde

Timeline:

07/21/2011 - NOA1

10/18/2011 - NOA2

Agreed. I know they do make exceptions. But the problem with any unwritten policy is inconsistency and unpredictability. Why they are allowed to hold US citizens to a different standard is beyond me.

"I know they make exceptions," is not the same thing as, "they do not allow co-sponsors."

However, I would strongly disagree with your revised opinion. Based upon my personal experience, and based upon what I have read here in VJ, my opinion is that Manila accepts cosponsors in K-1 cases more often than not.

Timeline

"I know they make exceptions," is not the same thing as, "they do not allow co-sponsors."

However, I would strongly disagree with your revised opinion. Based upon my personal experience, and based upon what I have read here in VJ, my opinion is that Manila accepts cosponsors in K-1 cases more often than not.

My opinions aren't revised, they are expanded. Thank you for expanding that one, and for reinforcing the original point: that the OP should become aware of potential issues with co-sponsorship at their particular consulate.

~Oscar Wilde

Timeline:

07/21/2011 - NOA1

10/18/2011 - NOA2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

- So many students like you petition for their spouses/fiance(e)s every year - you are not alone.

- Approval of the initial petition will be based on whether you have a genuine relationship or not and whether you eligibale for that immigration benefit. It does not matter whether you can support the beneficiary or not or whether you have worked or not. That is an NVC/consulate territory and will be considered at the time of interview.

- You can still sign the affidavit of support even if you have never worked before (and even will never work later) as long as you have an eligible co/joint -sponsor that signs the financial support on behalf of the beneficiary.

- Like others suggested, put student or unemployed and the time line.

Don't worry, your situation is normal and embassies deal with it on a regular basis.

Well thank you for making me feel not-completely-isolated, or a rare case. I would imagine lots of students do file for the K-1 and similar visas, since most the time people fall in love in their 20s or so.

Thanks for the extra advices and opinions :)

You usually have to wait for that which is worth waiting for.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.