웃

Stock market on Monday (PREDICTIONS)

19 members have voted

1. 1. The Dow Jones closed at 11,444.61 on Friday...Low point on Monday will be....

• Market will go up
    • Flat day
    • -10 to -100
    • -101 to -149
    • -150 to -225
    • -226 to -299
    • -300 to -399
    • -400 to -499
    • -500 to -649
    • -650 to -799
    • -800 to -999
    • -1000 to -2000

144 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Record drop, sigh man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Looks like a great buying opportunity here or in the next few days.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Looks like a great buying opportunity here or in the next few days.

Obama was saying that very same thing. Thanks Obama. PLUS he has held down the price of homes for everyone!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I voted -1000 to -2000 (with 300 point swings by the hour)....That is a worst case scenario, anyone's guess

It pretty much IS a worst case scenario, since circuit breakers will go into force and halt trading if the declines get steeper. Here are the NYSE rules. Nasdaq has the same rules as well. The other markets (BATS, DirectEdge etc) will halt when the main listing exchange halts. Also, there are now individualized per-security breakers as well (imposes since Feb).

NYSE Circuit Breakers

In response to the market breaks in October 1987 and October 1989 the New York Stock Exchange instituted circuit breakers to reduce volatility and promote investor confidence. By implementing a pause in trading, investors are given time to assimilate incoming information and the ability to make informed choices during periods of high market volatility.

Rule 80B

Effective April 15, 1998 the SEC approved amendments to Rule 80B (Trading Halts Due to Extraordinary Market Volatility) which revised the halt provisions and the circuit-breaker levels. The trigger levels for a market-wide trading halt were set at 10%, 20% and 30% of the DJIA, calculated at the beginning of each calendar quarter, using the average closing value of the DJIA for the prior month, thereby establishing specific point values for the quarter. Each trigger value is rounded to the nearest 50 points.

The halt for a 10% decline would be one hour if it occurred before 2 p.m., and for 30 minutes if it occurred between 2 and 2:30, but would not halt trading at all after 2:30. The halt for a 20% decline would be two hours if it occurred before 1 p.m., and between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. for one hour, and close the market for the rest of the day after 2 p.m. If the market declined by 30%, at any time, trading would be halted for the remainder of the day.

As to my own guess for Monday, I don't have one. I basically go along with the Efficient Market Theory. It's a Random Walk and any given day can produce any result with relatively equal probability. It won't surprise me to have a big down day. It won't surprise me if we have a rally either.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Crash and burn baby! Crash and burn!

We can only hope that Crash includes JP Morgan Chase, Banks of America, and a couple of others! Dive Dive Dive!!! :dance:

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We can only hope that Crash includes JP Morgan Chase, Banks of America, and a couple of others! Dive Dive Dive!!! :dance:

Do you hope for nuclear war too?

Edited by fishdude

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Bank of America has been crushed in the last 5 or 6 months:

tUEs6.png

9I090.png

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Timeline

The market was already expecting a downgrade from S&P. No surprise here. However, the trend line is down, so I predict about a 500 point drop from panicking small investors, followed by a mini rally in the afternoon as investors look for deals and continue to cover shorts.

Does this mean Obama is going to resign? Wait, I think he is in total denial: He skipped this story in his Saturday morning radio address.

EDIT: nm. Edited by Ste

K-1 Visa timeline

(See comments in my timeline)

AOS timeline

Sent off AOS forms: 29th September 2011

NOA1: 14th October 2011

Biomentrics appointment: 8th November 2011

RFE on my I-485: 21st December 2011

Mailed RFE documents: 10th January 2012

RFE documents received and under review: 13th January 2012

I-485 transferred to California Service Center: 23rd January 2012

EAD in production: 25th January 2012

EAD in hand: 4th February 2012 (128 days after filing)

Green Card approved (Without interview): 6th March 2012

Green Card in hand: 12th March 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I predict the DJI goes down to 0.

Because this is the Internet and here everything is plausible.

In which case, why limit ourselves to the natural number space, when we can go into negative numbers as well?

I predict a final DJI at 4PM Monday of -8556, a total drop of 20,000 points from the Friday close.

In the words of Buzz Lightyear : to (negative) infinity, and beyond!

If you mean the downgrade, it happened after his radio address.

The downgrade was last night.

Filed: Timeline

In which case, why limit ourselves to the natural number space, when we can go into negative numbers as well?

I predict a final DJI at 4PM Monday of -8556, a total drop of 20,000 points from the Friday close.

In the words of Buzz Lightyear : to (negative) infinity, and beyond!

It occurs to me that this conversation demands a definition of absolute zero for equity markets.