Churchland

All of a sudden, lots of problems with USCIS

75 posts in this topic

My first thought on reading your post was identity theft. The only other option was that they don't believe the person who came in on the visa was actually the person petitioned for, hence the requirement for a date-verified picture for comparative purposes.

Seriously, I'd be contacting the local office for an Infopass appointment to find out what's going on, because it's pretty obvious that something is amiss.

Good luck to you, OP. :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As far as the I-864, tax transcripts, pay stubs etc, those items are supposed to be inculded with you AOS application. Did you include them originally? As for asking for insurance and banking items they might be looking to see if you have your spouse inculded on them to verify the relationship, but they generally don't look for this until ROC as sometimes it can take a little more time to get your spouse added to all of these.

Good Luck.

Can someone fill me in on why they would need to submit a photo holding a newspaper?? It seems so odd and silly!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Our K1 visa application went very smooth and quick with no problems and so did our AOS application until recently.

Recent problems:

1. The fingerprints were not good enough the first time, so we had to make a 2nd trip.

2. They lost her medical from China and requested a new I-693 with vaccination, TB Test, etc.

Now we get a 2nd RFE requesting an enormous amount of additional evidence.

Another G-325a, I-864, birth certs, phone numbers, work numbers, copies of driver's license with notarized signature on copy.

List 3 attractive traits, new color photographs holding a front page of a recent newspaper, payroll statements, check stubs, utility bills, copies of both our auto health insurance plans.

Anyone ever heard of this?

Looks like red flags to me, possible a Stokes interview in your future.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Can someone fill me in on why they would need to submit a photo holding a newspaper?? It seems so odd and silly!

A newspaper, with today's date for example, and both of them in the picture would prove that they were together today. You can't fake a date on a newspaper while you can change digital date on a camera before taking a picture.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Oh, I see. Yes, we are a little paranoid now, wondering if anyone could have turned us in for spite or something. It also seems that a majority of the evidence they are asking for is focused on me and my finances, like needing pay stubs, W2's, tax forms, complete copies of my health insurance policy, auto insurance policy, credit card statements, bank statements, etc. I have a very steady job and my credit score is high. I did mention earlier that I froze my credit at the three bureaus to protect against fraud, identity theft.

Have you actually been a victim of identity theft? It doesn't sound so much like they're focusing on your finances as much as they're focusing on your identity.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

While you are at it, might as well take the photo in front of a recognizable landmark, such as in front of city hall or local police department (make sure the sign or building name is visible). That will prove where the photo was taken in addition to when the photo was taken. Just my thought.

Edited by SLDFK

ROC

01 May 2013 - Received ROC reminder letter

22 Jul 2013 - Mailed I-751 via USPS Priority Mail

24 Jul 2013 - NOA1 date

27 Jul 2013 - Received NOA1

03 Aug 2013 - Received Biometrics letter

20 Aug 2013 - Biometrics appointment

19 Sep 2013 - Approved

24 Sep 2013 - Received NOA2

09 Oct 2013 - Received GC

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Have you actually been a victim of identity theft? It doesn't sound so much like they're focusing on your finances as much as they're focusing on your identity.

Not that I know about. I am very cautious, that's why I froze my credit file. I am a big fan of Clark Howard and he recommends that as a way to protect yourself. They are wanting tax returns and paystubs again, but nothing has changed. I work for the government same as them, I would think it would be easy for them to check.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Oh, I see. Yes, we are a little paranoid now, wondering if anyone could have turned us in for spite or something. It also seems that a majority of the evidence they are asking for is focused on me and my finances, like needing pay stubs, W2's, tax forms, complete copies of my health insurance policy, auto insurance policy, credit card statements, bank statements, etc. I have a very steady job and my credit score is high. I did mention earlier that I froze my credit at the three bureaus to protect against fraud, identity theft.

I've never frozen my credit, but does that mean your wife dosnt have ready access to your money? Like does she have the ability to charge things on your credit card? If they think you are freezing her out of the finance they

might be concerned

Timeline

I've never frozen my credit, but does that mean your wife dosnt have ready access to your money? Like does she have the ability to charge things on your credit card? If they think you are freezing her out of the finance they

might be concerned

No she has access to money, she can still charge things, etc. It means no one can apply for any new credit using my credentials. For example, crooks can't take a credit card application out of my trash and apply for new credit.

Timeline

Looks like red flags to me, possible a Stokes interview in your future.

We haven't had our first interview yet. Won't they look at all the evidence first and have an initial interview before they would do a stokes?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We haven't had our first interview yet. Won't they look at all the evidence first and have an initial interview before they would do a stokes?

Not always, no. There have been several cases on VJ where a Stokes was conducted at the first interview. There have also been a few cases that began as normal joint interviews, and then devolved into a Stokes interview at some point. This is more common with someone adjusting after entering with some other non-immigrant visa, and less common with a K1. There's a presumption that a K1's relationship was scrutinized to some degree at the US consulate, and a K1 specifically allows for immigrant intent.

Something sure has their panties in a bunch, though. It's unusual for them to be asking for the sort of evidence they're asking you for. I think it would be wise to prepare for the possibility of a Stokes interview.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

A newspaper, with today's date for example, and both of them in the picture would prove that they were together today. You can't fake a date on a newspaper while you can change digital date on a camera before taking a picture.

Huh. Very interesting. Goodluck to the OP and hope your AOS goes well from here!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.