Ellie-n-Vladimir

TS Clearance & K-1

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Anyone on this site who's been holding a classified position and going through the K-1? Do those things get along together, considering foreign influence..? About a year ago, prior to being introduced to my fiancé, I applied for some job. I hadn't heard from them until yesterday. Almost forgot to think about it. They called me and asked about my availability for a whole-day interview (a pre-step) They also emailed me a GB of instructions & procedures (aren't quite that simple: ts/q clearance, ssbi as part of it, and may include a ci poly)

Edited by Ellie-n-Vladimir

У нашому регiонi цей чорт зветься — шахтар

Anyone on this site who's been holding a classified position and going through the K-1? Do those things get along together, considering foreign influence..? About a year ago, prior to being introduced to my fiancé, I applied for some job. I hadn't heard from them until yesterday. Almost forgot to think about it. They called me and asked about my availability for a whole-day interview (a pre-step) They also emailed me a GB of instructions & procedures (aren't quite that simple: ts/q clearance, ssbi as part of it, and may include a ci poly)

You'll have additional paperwork to complete for the foreign significant other - may even interview her overseas.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Don't know about a Top Secret clearance but I had to get a public trust clearance for my job and I had to list the countries I went to and I forget exactly but I think I had to mention my fiance but it didn't cause a problem at all.

But for sure holding a clearance doesn't seem to speed up the K1 process at all. Good luck,

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Case Transferred to US Embassy in Riga Latvia at the end of October.

If you really want it, you'll find a way!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you don't already hold the job they will probably bypass you for someone easier to clear. TS with SBI doesn't usually go well with a foreign family member

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

You'll have additional paperwork to complete for the foreign significant other - may even interview her overseas.

Thanks, milimelo! They asked for all my international contacts.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

If you don't already hold the job they will probably bypass you for someone easier to clear. TS with SBI doesn't usually go well with a foreign family member

???????? Why do you just make up answers and post when you so clearly don't know the answer?

Yes you can get a clearance. Assuming everything is order otherwise, the person you are marrying isn't in or hasn't been in a foreign government position of a security nature or member of some oddball political party.

There is actually a good deal of information on this topic and the organization that does security clearance appeals posts the decisions so you can get an idea of what flies and what doesn't. If you suspect you have been denied the position due to foreign influence issues you can appeal the decision. The key appears to be full disclosure of trips and interactions with foreign nationals and the circumstances surrounding them.

You can link to the adjudicative guidelines here:

http://www.clearancejobs.com/news.php?articleID=54

Edited by brokenfamily

It was never an issue for us.. :) My hubby just made sure his higher-ups were informed. I think you'll be fine :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

Don't know about a Top Secret clearance but I had to get a public trust clearance for my job and I had to list the countries I went to and I forget exactly but I think I had to mention my fiance but it didn't cause a problem at all.

But for sure holding a clearance doesn't seem to speed up the K1 process at all. Good luck,

The 'Public Trust' is not the same as a security clearance. For sure, I will mention about my K-1 before I step in. Having a GC spouse is ok to obtain the sec. clearance, but have no idea about a foreign fiance. I may not be granted the TS.

Thank you, LookyWhatIFound!

Timeline

Doesn't go well... I think you're right. They need 3 co-workers + a supervisor from each work, including a current one - I'm fine w/ this, 10 people from my social network for a separate 'together-interview' in Starbucks, preferably they somehow know each other. Discussions w/ neighbours is a default req-t. Testing immediate family members is a must. Too many tests.. whistling.gif Thank you, NigeriaorBust

Timeline

http://www.clearance...hp?articleID=54

Thank you, RepairedFamily! smile.gifAppreciate it!

Timeline

It was never an issue for us.. :) My hubby just made sure his higher-ups were informed. I think you'll be fine :)

Messybrownhair, thanks! You're so cuteyes.gif And smart! I've been reading your posts

If I applied for a military position, this would not be an issue at all..

Timeline

???????? Why do you just make up answers and post when you so clearly don't know the answer?

Yes you can get a clearance. Assuming everything is order otherwise, the person you are marrying isn't in or hasn't been in a foreign government position of a security nature or member of some oddball political party.

There is actually a good deal of information on this topic and the organization that does security clearance appeals posts the decisions so you can get an idea of what flies and what doesn't. If you suspect you have been denied the position due to foreign influence issues you can appeal the decision. The key appears to be full disclosure of trips and interactions with foreign nationals and the circumstances surrounding them.

http://www.clearancejobs.com/news.php?articleID=54

I have held various level for over 30 years straight. Having a foreign spouse especially from a less than former best friend country makes it difficult and the SBI could just make it an impossibility. Most companies are smart enough to submit the most apt to be cleared person before then less than clean one. The SBI counld have very specific country restrictions. I have seems SBI's prohibit people of the jewish faith and people from specific countries. Just because you foudn some post on the internet does not make you an expect on anything.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

I have held various level for over 30 years straight. Having a foreign spouse especially from a less than former best friend country makes it difficult and the SBI could just make it an impossibility. Most companies are smart enough to submit the most apt to be cleared person before then less than clean one. The SBI counld have very specific country restrictions. I have seems SBI's prohibit people of the jewish faith and people from specific countries. Just because you foudn some post on the internet does not make you an expect on anything.

Now that's really pulling one out of a dark orifice. The guidelines and your personal circumstances are what may or may not prevent you from having a clearance. "Foreign Influence" is one of many considerations in the background investigation. Having a foreign spouse, fiance or family member is not an automatic bar to a clearance. The degree to which you interact and travel to that country does.

Timeline

Now that's really pulling one out of a dark orifice. The guidelines and your personal circumstances are what may or may not prevent you from having a clearance. "Foreign Influence" is one of many considerations in the background investigation. Having a foreign spouse, fiance or family member is not an automatic bar to a clearance. The degree to which you interact and travel to that country does.

I am using what I knwo from years of actual experience. They do especially on SBI programs impose all sorts of restrictions that have little to do with actual outside travel. Also if you hold an upper level clearance you will find travel problematic to a lot of countries. Get a clearance and visiting the inlaws will be questioned.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

that depends on many factors. to make a blanket statement like that is unfair to the op. more in just a few minutes.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.