xylo

British views on emigrating to America

35 posts in this topic

Saker and Sapphire1965, I have been there many times with her and seen it. There are a group I never heard of before called "Pikeys" who seem to like no one but their own kind, from my limited experiences. As for the standard Englishmen I have met, I asked about their feelings towards my fiancee and generally they find her accent unkind to their ears, a few even said she sounded angry all the time. I think the closest I can relate is that I am in California and if I hear a Brooklyn or New Jersey accent it sounds to me like they are always looking for a fight. I know this to be untrue, it is just an accent. But psychologically that is the initial effect it has on me. When she was in the states however, her accent was loved by all. She does have friends in England but she simply shines while in the states.

On a side note, last night I watched the movie "Snatch" and it had a good deal about Pikeys. I need to research that group more.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

A pikey is an offensive term for an Irish traveller (a gypsy, though that term isn't appropriate either). In recent years I've heard people calling other people pikeys when they're of low socio-economic class and just a bit 'rough'. Either way, it must be said that you're talking about a very small sub-culture that is not representative of England. There are so many wildly different accents in the UK and people tend to be much more discriminating towards some of the other ones. Glad to hear your fiancée is so at home in the States!

N-400 Timeline
Nov 2014 - Sent form N-400

Nov 19 2014 - NOA

Dec 9 2014 - Yellow letter

Dec 15 2014 - Biometrics

Jan 13 2015 - In line for an interview

Mar 23 2015 - Interview letter

Apr 28 2015 - Interview

Jun 26 2015 - Oath ceremony

Agreed. Just because pikeys didn't like your Scottish fiancee means nothing about the rest of the population of the UK.

Most of my husband's friends and family were jealous he was emigrating. They're all sick of England.

SA4userbar.jpg

Thanks TracyTN and chrisandliz,

aorobert, I'm sure you are aware that a small percentage of individuals in any culture are a little less educated, closed minded and generally ignorant than the rest. So you heard "pikey's" say negative things against the Scots or A Scot? you say you heard it from them "many" times? so you obviously decided to remain in their company it seems. Why?

You then go on to say "English Gentlemen" find the Scottish accent "unkind to their ears"?! I simply don't believe that. Those descriptions sound like words used by someone from a culture other than the UK trying to make statements they believe people from the UK would make. It is fiction.

If you believe you can get an idea about a people labelled "pikey's" from a movie then i promise you'll waste your time.

The reason your Scottish partner is gets on so well in the US is unsurprising, it is simply that, like in England, she is accepted.

I genuinely wish you both the very best

Jun 3 2011 - Posted I-129f

Jun 6 2011 - NOA1

Jun 14 2011 - Touched

Nov 22 2011 - RFE (a box on form i-129f hadn't been ticked!)

Nov 29 2011 - NOA2 (i-129f approved)

Dec 22 2011 - Received Packet 3 Letter

Jan 10 2011 - Medical

Jan 16 2012 - Packet 3 sent

Feb 7 2012 - Packet 4 received

Feb 17 2012 - Interview. Approved.

Feb 28 2012 - Received k1 Visa and passport

Feb 29 2012 - POE Minneapolis then that cold beer.

Mar 17 2012 - Married.

Apr 3 2012 - AOS EAD AP Posted.

Apr 9 2012. - Received email and text

May 24 2012 - Biometrics appointment

Jun 6 2012 - EAD and AP card production notice

Jun 12 2012 - EAD and AP card given to USPS for delivery

Jun 12 2012 - text/email notification of interview July 13

Jul 13 2012 - Interview! Approved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why would she want to talk to a pikey anyway?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
lived there for 16years without being loathed had lots of great friends and there was never an issue
(Pardon the intrusion by a mere Colonist) It's always good to live unloathed, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Timeline

This made me laugh so much! I'm from the North-West too so I know Bolton. My Mum and sister were similar: "Are you sure you don't just like him because he's American? It'll wear off" Give me some credit! Good old practical Lancashire.

A friend of mine married an American and she asked me the other day: "Don't you think everyone seems to make a fuss over immigration? I didn't think it was stressful at all, really straightforward". She didn't do any of this process though... she just went over, got married, pretended it was a last minute thing and her husband did all the forms! Almost 3 years on, it worked for her.

I lolled too...I lived in Easington Village (Co Durham), and I know Bolton as well.

I have to say, I thought it was pretty straightforward as well. (btw, I am the USC, and actually, I'm no longer with my Brit ex, but that's by the by.) I filed K-1, and I didn't think it as all that stressful either. I did overthink a few of the q's, my evidence, etc...but after taking a deep breath, I filled out the forms, sent em off, went about my life while they were processed. I think some people can get caught up in being immensely frustrated with the wait, but at the time; we both used the time apart to our advantage (ie - I worked a lot, and also spent a bit of time on myself - eg. gym and wedding preparations....he spent a lot of time doing his 'lasts' - I encouraged him to get a season tick to SAFC, and soak up everything he was going to miss before moving). And before we knew it, we were approved.

The demise of our relationship had nothing to do with the process, and was a separate issue.

Edited by Anita Cocktail

There are countless people who are unfamiliar with the immigration process. Hell, before I started, I just thought you can get married and BOOM! you're a citizen.

I blame Hollywood :lol:

As for the Scottish being 'despised' by the English, umm..... :no:

we totally thought the same thing...we were so wrong. lol

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

British views on emigrating to America:

Everybody seemed to ask my husband the same question--"Are you gonna get a gun??"

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Got one

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yes, there is a hell of a lot of ignorance about what it takes to move to the US. So far I have been told I need to become an au pair, my fiance needs to have a million dollars, that nobody who has been arrested is allowed into the US, that 'you just write to the Embassy and they send you a greencard' (actually, talking to both parents about their experiences in the late 70's that may once have been a little true). Worst of all, there is the immediate assumption that marriage to a US citizen is to gain LPR status. "Would you marry him if he was from Bolton?" Err...I lived in Bolton and yep...I would.

This reminds me of something that I experienced in my visa journey......while i was waiting on my k1 visa processing the local misogynistic pig,,who hated me just because he felt like it and I'm female (like to make my life hell as a hobby)...told me that I wasn't going to get approved you know..because he once knew someone who knew someone who was a trucker t emigrated to CANADA on a WORK RELATED IMMIGRATION VISA TO DO TRUCKING IN CANADA...and they wouldn't want me because I can't offer the USA ANYTHING VALUABLE WORK WISE, what have I got to offer.....this came from a guy who thought he knew it all better than everyone, to the point that at 16 he felt it was a better use of his time to go fishing rather than take his o levels..yup he had no educational qualifications to his name just his practical experience at the jobs he had done over his life (he was a tree surgeon)

and I with my BA HONS degree..had nothing to offer and was going to get rejected based on work related issues for a family visa... :no:

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

...this came from a guy who thought he knew it all better than everyone, to the point that at 16 he felt it was a better use of his time to go fishing rather than take his o levels..yup he had no educational qualifications to his name just his practical experience at the jobs he had done over his life (he was a tree surgeon) and I with my BA HONS degree..had nothing to offer and was going to get rejected based on work related issues for a family visa... :no:

All signs of a classic miserable, bitter and thus jealous person. How glad you must be to have left him far, far behind! :dance:

N-400 Timeline
Nov 2014 - Sent form N-400

Nov 19 2014 - NOA

Dec 9 2014 - Yellow letter

Dec 15 2014 - Biometrics

Jan 13 2015 - In line for an interview

Mar 23 2015 - Interview letter

Apr 28 2015 - Interview

Jun 26 2015 - Oath ceremony

I was wondering if any of you guys were having problems finding friends in the USA? I moved to PA two years ago and as yet haven't managed to make many friends. I am having difficulty finding opportunities to intigrate into this small community. My work involves health care on a one-to-one basis so I dont even have the opportunity to make friends with colleagues (I dont have any). My husband is an introvert although he has friends he can choose to contact although he doesn't seem to feel the need to. I had a few very good friends in the UK who I interacted with on a regular basis. I was just wondering how you are all getting on in your different areas.

Edited by TeeKol

K1 Visa - 2009

March 7th - POE Newark, NY

March 30th - received SSN

April 25th - Married

April 27th - Changed name on SSN

AOS

May 12th - AOS paperwork sent

Aug 20th - Interview in Philly

Aug 21st - GC production ordered

Aug 24th - Welcome to the USA letter received

Aug 31st - Rec'd son's GC

Sept 2nd - Rec'd my GC ....all set for 2 years now

LIFTING CONDITIONS

June 20th sent I-751 to Vermont

June 25th received at Vermont.

June 27th NOA date

July 2nd Packet returned as section not filled in correctly---how stupid am I?!?!?

July 5th Packet sent back (overnight delivery) to USCIS with form filled in correctly

July 6th Packet received and signed for at Vermont

August 18th Biometrics Appointment in Philly........JULY 27TH EARLY BIOMETRICS DONE

Nearly 1 year later!!!
....received notification for my son to get biometrics done!(May 15th 2012)

May 11th 2012 Son's biometrics done early

June 2012 - Notice of lifting of conditions received

June 12th - texts- GC in production

June 13th - text- GC in post

June 15th - Received GC's!!!!!!

I was wondering if any of you guys were having problems finding friends in the USA? I moved to PA two years ago and as yet haven't managed to make many friends. I am having difficulty finding opportunities to intigrate into this small community. My work involves health care on a one-to-one basis so I dont even have the opportunity to make friends with colleagues (I dont have any). My husband is an introvert although he has friends he can choose to contact although he doesn't seem to feel the need to. I had a few very good friends in the UK who I interacted with on a regular basis. I was just wondering how you are all getting on in your different areas.

You need to look outside your local area.

Is there a Lions Club nearby (every town in the US seems to have one!). Rotarians?

If your hubby is an introvert you need to get your own friends! One of Katie's friend's husbands (wow) is a decent guy and him and me get along and he's been looking for a guy friend to hang out with (he generally hates other people) so I have someone to go shooting/fishing with etc.

Katie's brother is a cool guy too but he works unsociable hours.

My plan is to join a Lions Club in Schererville (try saying that drunk) and mingle. I guess it helps I have a social hobby (amateur/ham radio) and there are a few clubs in the area. Then again Schererville isn't a one horse town either.

As for us Sasenach's hating the Jocks - utter tripe. There's a LOT of friendly banter between the English and the Scots and most of it is good natured. Personally I adore the Scottish accent on a girl - yes, I include all Scots accents, even broad Glasweigan. Maybe that's where the Scottish lady from earlier is from - it's a hard accent to get your head around, but I'm an accentophile (erm, is there a proper word for that?) as well as being a linguist (no funny jokes from the back, thank you!).

David.

David.

K-1 Timeline:

14 Sep 2010 - Mailed in I-129F.

08 Feb 2011 - NOA 2.

09 Jun 2011 - Visa in hand.

13 Aug 2011 - Wedding day.

AOS Timeline:

14 Oct 2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD forms.

21 Oct 2011 - NOA for AOS/EAD.

05 Nov 2011 - Case transferred to CSC.

08 Nov 2011 - Biometrics.

29 Dec 2011 - EAD in hand.

05 Jan 2012 - I-485 Approved (AOS).

11 Jan 2012 - I-551/Permanent Resident Card in hand.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.