xylo

British views on emigrating to America

35 posts in this topic

Seeing as all of us on here know quite how difficult and complex emigrating can be, I was wondering what kind of attitudes you have encountered from friends and family?

I have a friend who is very blasé and has said several times that it would be 'so easy' for her to move to to the States, because her family have so much money. I've tried to explain that you can't just buy your way in (unless you're an investor) and that it may well take some time. All the same, she likes to update her social networking sites with details of the lavish houses she will buy in America! :lol:

Anyone else come across similar?

N-400 Timeline
Nov 2014 - Sent form N-400

Nov 19 2014 - NOA

Dec 9 2014 - Yellow letter

Dec 15 2014 - Biometrics

Jan 13 2015 - In line for an interview

Mar 23 2015 - Interview letter

Apr 28 2015 - Interview

Jun 26 2015 - Oath ceremony

I brought my fiancee from the UK to the US last September to see if she could adjust. She turned out to be more American than many Americans! She loves root beer which apparently they do not have in the UK. She also loves the customer service and nice attitude at many businesses. Even the local "English pub" is decidedly un-English with their free refills of drinks and customer is always right attitude.

As for her family, aha. Adult kids loathe the fact that she is moving. Her neighbors are jealous and excited at the same time. They are old enough to fly over for a visit, and they prefer the UK though they have never left it once.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

I brought my fiancee from the UK to the US last September to see if she could adjust. She turned out to be more American than many Americans!

Haha, brilliant! Very true with the English pub, too. I have come across a lot of the jealous-but-excited type, and in equal measure those staunch Anglophiles who have never been abroad. I think perhaps some people like their world much smaller than others...

N-400 Timeline

Nov 19 2014 - NOA

Dec 15 2014 - Biometrics

Apr 28 2015 - Interview

When I lived in California for a year as an exchange student, at first, people would get so excited at learning I was British. They'd ask a million questions and go nuts over my different words and pronounciations of things. By the time they got to know me better they got over it.... I think....

I will miss Tesco though! (and M&S and Nandos!)

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

8th August - Interview in London. APPROVED!

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

20th Oct - Biometrics Letter (for 14th Nov)

28th Oct - Biometrics (walk-in)

2 0 1 2

3 Jan - Service Request Put In

13 Jan - EAD Approved

17 Jan - Interview Notice Received

24 Jan - EAD in hand

16 Feb - Interview Date. APPROVED!

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

6 Jan - Biometrics (walk-in)

15 May - Card Ordered / Approved

My fiancee is despised in England because she is Scottish. But she comes here and is an instant celebrity. She even talked a cop out of his rifle and got to examine an unloaded M-16. I told her cops NEVER give up their guns, she is the charmer!

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Filed: Timeline

Seeing as all of us on here know quite how difficult and complex emigrating can be, I was wondering what kind of attitudes you have encountered from friends and family?

I have a friend who is very blasé and has said several times that it would be 'so easy' for her to move to to the States, because her family have so much money. I've tried to explain that you can't just buy your way in (unless you're an investor) and that it may well take some time. All the same, she likes to update her social networking sites with details of the lavish houses she will buy in America! :lol:

Anyone else come across similar?

Have you told her that the US is not part of the Commonwealth? She cannot live or work in the US unless she has a green card. She would need to invest at least $500,000 USD in a US business that would create jobs to even begin to immigrate to the US as an investor. And it's not just as simple as sending a check and coming over. There is a ton of paperwork associated with it.

As a UK citizen, she can come to the US as a visitor and her time here will be limited to 90 days on the VWP or six months if she has a visitor visa. If she wants to live or work, she will need a green card.

Edited by Jojo92122

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can buy in- EB5.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You can buy in- EB5.

I think the EB5 is the investor visa, and as jojo mentioned, the level of investment must be $500,000 and individual wealth must be over $1m. Plus, she has this idea of bringing everyone over all together, you know, brothers, sisters, boyfriend etc.

As a UK citizen, she can come to the US as a visitor and her time here will be limited to 90 days on the VWP or six months if she has a visitor visa. If she wants to live or work, she will need a green card.

Yep, I tried to say this as tactfully as possible! I didn't want to sound like 'I'm emigrating and you can't'. Maybe her reaction is a strange form of jealousy :huh: yet I'm under no illusion that I'm moving to the American dream!

N-400 Timeline

Nov 19 2014 - NOA

Dec 15 2014 - Biometrics

Apr 28 2015 - Interview

Yes, there is a hell of a lot of ignorance about what it takes to move to the US. So far I have been told I need to become an au pair, my fiance needs to have a million dollars, that nobody who has been arrested is allowed into the US, that 'you just write to the Embassy and they send you a greencard' (actually, talking to both parents about their experiences in the late 70's that may once have been a little true). Worst of all, there is the immediate assumption that marriage to a US citizen is to gain LPR status. "Would you marry him if he was from Bolton?" Err...I lived in Bolton and yep...I would.

Many of the Americans we meet seem to assume that upon marriage I became a US citizen. There are a few who know better, but most don't. It's kind of nice that they think such an easy policy is in place, if you think about it :-)

I think the Brits tend to have a slightly clearer idea of immigration, although they still tend to think of it as easier and quicker. That is, you get married and then you go to the Embassy and get your visa. (Well that's probably what the Americans think too, if I were to ask them what they think I had to do after getting married.)

"Would you marry him if he was from Bolton?" Err...I lived in Bolton and yep...I would.

This made me laugh so much! I'm from the North-West too so I know Bolton. My Mum and sister were similar: "Are you sure you don't just like him because he's American? It'll wear off" Give me some credit! Good old practical Lancashire.

Many of the Americans we meet seem to assume that upon marriage I became a US citizen. There are a few who know better, but most don't. It's kind of nice that they think such an easy policy is in place, if you think about it :-)

I think the Brits tend to have a slightly clearer idea of immigration, although they still tend to think of it as easier and quicker. That is, you get married and then you go to the Embassy and get your visa. (Well that's probably what the Americans think too, if I were to ask them what they think I had to do after getting married.)

A friend of mine married an American and she asked me the other day: "Don't you think everyone seems to make a fuss over immigration? I didn't think it was stressful at all, really straightforward". She didn't do any of this process though... she just went over, got married, pretended it was a last minute thing and her husband did all the forms! Almost 3 years on, it worked for her.

N-400 Timeline

Nov 19 2014 - NOA

Dec 15 2014 - Biometrics

Apr 28 2015 - Interview

I'm not quite sure how to link to another post properly but on the following thread, 'Just Bob' sums it up perfectly: Which visa for my family?

N-400 Timeline

Nov 19 2014 - NOA

Dec 15 2014 - Biometrics

Apr 28 2015 - Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiancee is despised in England because she is Scottish. But she comes here and is an instant celebrity. She even talked a cop out of his rifle and got to examine an unloaded M-16. I told her cops NEVER give up their guns, she is the charmer!

Hi I find it hard to believe that your fiancee being Scottish was despised in England I too am Scottish and moved to England when I was 29 and lived there for 16years without being loathed had lots of great friends and there was never an issue me being from Scotland, I moved to Chicago 8 weeks ago and I love the way of life the people are so friendly, and the level of service is outstanding much better than in the UK. I do miss HP brown sauce, gravy granules, peppercorn sauce in packets and Warburtons bread to name a few.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.