xylo

British views on emigrating to America

35 posts in this topic

You need to look outside your local area.

Is there a Lions Club nearby (every town in the US seems to have one!). Rotarians?

If your hubby is an introvert you need to get your own friends! One of Katie's friend's husbands (wow) is a decent guy and him and me get along and he's been looking for a guy friend to hang out with (he generally hates other people) so I have someone to go shooting/fishing with etc.

Katie's brother is a cool guy too but he works unsociable hours.

My plan is to join a Lions Club in Schererville (try saying that drunk) and mingle. I guess it helps I have a social hobby (amateur/ham radio) and there are a few clubs in the area. Then again Schererville isn't a one horse town either.

As for us Sasenach's hating the Jocks - utter tripe. There's a LOT of friendly banter between the English and the Scots and most of it is good natured. Personally I adore the Scottish accent on a girl - yes, I include all Scots accents, even broad Glasweigan. Maybe that's where the Scottish lady from earlier is from - it's a hard accent to get your head around, but I'm an accentophile (erm, is there a proper word for that?) as well as being a linguist (no funny jokes from the back, thank you!).

David.

Thank you for your suggestion, I will look further into it. I appreciate your help, thank you.

I agree with you about the Scots....its just a bit of fun and it works both ways, the Scots make fun of the English too. So no harm done :)

Edited by TeeKol

K1 Visa - 2009

March 7th - POE Newark, NY

March 30th - received SSN

April 25th - Married

April 27th - Changed name on SSN

AOS

May 12th - AOS paperwork sent

Aug 20th - Interview in Philly

Aug 21st - GC production ordered

Aug 24th - Welcome to the USA letter received

Aug 31st - Rec'd son's GC

Sept 2nd - Rec'd my GC ....all set for 2 years now

LIFTING CONDITIONS

June 20th sent I-751 to Vermont

June 25th received at Vermont.

June 27th NOA date

July 2nd Packet returned as section not filled in correctly---how stupid am I?!?!?

July 5th Packet sent back (overnight delivery) to USCIS with form filled in correctly

July 6th Packet received and signed for at Vermont

August 18th Biometrics Appointment in Philly........JULY 27TH EARLY BIOMETRICS DONE

Nearly 1 year later!!!
....received notification for my son to get biometrics done!(May 15th 2012)

May 11th 2012 Son's biometrics done early

June 2012 - Notice of lifting of conditions received

June 12th - texts- GC in production

June 13th - text- GC in post

June 15th - Received GC's!!!!!!

Pikeys: Yes it seems that as a group their socio-economic levels are a bit low. I'm still learning. I do not hang around them voluntarily, they are in the neighborhood and I try to get along with everyone. A few are very kind to me. I agree, they are not a fair view of the whole of England nor shall I judge a country based on the people I meet in 3 city blocks. But they are the people I see most frequently as my finacee has more than a couple as neighbors.

Guns: I told my bride to be that I will buy her a sniper rifle the day she gets US citizenship. :-) On her last visit here I took her to Las Vegas where she fired an Uzi machine gun. She is not into guns, but she is int freedom. And root beer. She loves nothing more than American root beer!

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Ugh, root beer! :dead: It tastes like soap to me. Alex loves it, though.

I've actually found the immigration process easier than I thought - it always seemed to me that it must be near impossible to become a US citizen, but on a family-based visa it does not take long at all!

Most all of my non-work friends Alex and I actually met through the same forums we met! Two of those people are now our roommates, too.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

I was wondering if any of you guys were having problems finding friends in the USA? I moved to PA two years ago and as yet haven't managed to make many friends. I am having difficulty finding opportunities to intigrate into this small community. My work involves health care on a one-to-one basis so I dont even have the opportunity to make friends with colleagues (I dont have any). My husband is an introvert although he has friends he can choose to contact although he doesn't seem to feel the need to. I had a few very good friends in the UK who I interacted with on a regular basis. I was just wondering how you are all getting on in your different areas.

My husband does go 'outside' his local circle but has still had trouble making friends. There is one guy he would consider a good friend if they lived closer together. As it is, they're an hour apart one way, and that's if the guy isn't out of state working for a change. Everyone else he's met, he can only take in small doses. :lol:

I think he's accepted the fact that he'll never really have a friend like his best friend. Even if he found someone he really liked, they wouldn't have that long history of a common experience.

He's generally not a lonely person which is good, but I know he sometimes wishes he had someone to go to the pub with every now and then. I feel bad because there's nothing I can do. :(

SA4userbar.jpg

My husband does go 'outside' his local circle but has still had trouble making friends. There is one guy he would consider a good friend if they lived closer together. As it is, they're an hour apart one way, and that's if the guy isn't out of state working for a change. Everyone else he's met, he can only take in small doses. :lol:

I think he's accepted the fact that he'll never really have a friend like his best friend. Even if he found someone he really liked, they wouldn't have that long history of a common experience.

He's generally not a lonely person which is good, but I know he sometimes wishes he had someone to go to the pub with every now and then. I feel bad because there's nothing I can do. :(

This does sound similar to my situation. Does he hang out with any of your friend's partners? or is he just completely uncomfortable?

K1 Visa - 2009

March 7th - POE Newark, NY

March 30th - received SSN

April 25th - Married

April 27th - Changed name on SSN

AOS

May 12th - AOS paperwork sent

Aug 20th - Interview in Philly

Aug 21st - GC production ordered

Aug 24th - Welcome to the USA letter received

Aug 31st - Rec'd son's GC

Sept 2nd - Rec'd my GC ....all set for 2 years now

LIFTING CONDITIONS

June 20th sent I-751 to Vermont

June 25th received at Vermont.

June 27th NOA date

July 2nd Packet returned as section not filled in correctly---how stupid am I?!?!?

July 5th Packet sent back (overnight delivery) to USCIS with form filled in correctly

July 6th Packet received and signed for at Vermont

August 18th Biometrics Appointment in Philly........JULY 27TH EARLY BIOMETRICS DONE

Nearly 1 year later!!!
....received notification for my son to get biometrics done!(May 15th 2012)

May 11th 2012 Son's biometrics done early

June 2012 - Notice of lifting of conditions received

June 12th - texts- GC in production

June 13th - text- GC in post

June 15th - Received GC's!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.