11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My fiance will soon be here on a K-1 visa. We are marrying right away and then of course the 2nd order of business will be obtaining his SS card. For those that have filled out the Social Security Card application and printed it out to take to the SS office could you please answer the following questions for me:

1. On the form under CITIZENSHIP there are 4 choices to mark; citizen (which of course he is not), Legal Alien Allowed to Work,

Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work, Other

I'm unsure what to mark. He is not legal to work YET... but will be as soon as the AOS is approved. Which choice would I mark?

There are no special circumstances with our case.. just standard K-1 visa applying for the SS card then AOS.

2. I've read conflicting information about his ability to work. Today the official at the SS office told me he would be eligible to work immediately after he received his SS card. Is this correct? Does he apply for work status with AOS? When AOS is approved, would he be eligible to work then? I'm confused. Can someone straighten me out? Thank you.

Go to the SS Office and fill out the form there. He is not eligible to work until he has his EAD or his Greencard (EAD is temporary measure until he has his GC). Don't listen to the morons at the SS Office. That clerk was dead wrong.

For SS purposes, they may check the box "allowed to work" even though he is not. That is okay. It's how they (the SS office) understand that he is eligible for a SS card. Remember, they are not immigration and don't know about all the visas. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Does the EAD (what does that stand for?) come soon after the AOS is filed for? Is it more advantageous to file for it or just wait for the Greencard?

EAD costs nothing when you file along with the adjustment of status. It typically doesn't arrive much before the green card.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

All you need to do is read the guide below for a K1 visa .. I did and had NO problems at all.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

K-1 / K-2 Timeline:
02/02/2010 - Sent I-129F
02/04/2010 - NOA1
05/06/2010 - NOA2
07/13/2010 - Consulate Interview - APPROVED
07/17/2010 - POE (JFK)

07/30/2010 - MARRIED!

AOS-EAD Timeline:
08/29/2010 - AOS-EAD sent
09/08/2010 - NOA1
09/17/2010 - Biometrics
11/06/2010 - EAD card received
11/08/2010 - AOS interview - GC's APPROVED
11/19/2010 - Green Cards Arrived

After two amazing years together....

ROC Timeline:
08/10/2012 - ROC sent
08/14/2012 - NOA1
08/27/2012 - Biometrics

05/01/2013 - ROC - APPROVED

05/06/2013 - Green Cards Arrived

Citizenship:

08/31/2013 - N-400 sent

09/04/2013 - NOA1

09/27/2013 - Biometrics

10/08/2013 - In-Line

11/13/2013 - Interview

12/13/2013 - Oath -- Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't file for EAD or AP. Because I did not need to work or travel while waiting for the GC.

Fortunately my AOS did not take long to approve but I have seen many people on VJ who had to wait a very long time for GC to be approved and sent. In some cases AP is very good to have, same for the EAD.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I believe my 2nd question was answered fully, thank you. Can anyone advise me with an answer to my 1st question. I would like to have the forms filled out and ready before we arrive as the SS office in my area is very busy.

Edited by artgirl24

Filed: Other Timeline

1. Legal alien allowed to work

2. No. No. Yes.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Legal alien allowed to work, although on his card this will be written: "valid for work only with DHS authorization".

Also, EAD stands for Employment Authorization Document, you asked that too. I personally got it a month before the green card interview. It is worth applying for it as it costs no extra money with AOS. AP (advance parole) can be useful too if you have to leave the country for an emergency. I just used mine a couple days ago (although for holiday purposes)and I'm certainly happy I could reenter the country with my green card still pending. Btw, you would think border officers know about changes of policy - nobody has seen a new AP before (it is actually a note on my EAD card, not a separate document as it is used to be), and it took ages for them to make up their mind whether they can let me in or not...

05/2009-----We met on Facebook, playing FarmTown

11/20/2009--His first visit to Hungary for a month

05/05/2010--Spent 3 months together in the USA

07/19/2010--I-129F sent

01/05/2011--NOA2! (Day 161)

02/10/2011--Interview - approved, visa in hand the same day

02/13/2011--POE Portland,OR

04/02/2011--Wedding

04/08/2011--AOS sent

14/13/2011--NOA 1

04/27/2011--Biometrics walk-in in (scheduled for 05/13)

07/13/2011--Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.