Godwen

Can wife be only sponsor with current income?

21 posts in this topic

I am new to this forum and I need someone to help me out here. I am in the US as an F1 and I have to be truthful, I have been out of school for a semester now. I got married over a month ago but the problem now is the form I-864. My Wife made about 11k last year because she had only one job. But this year she has two jobs and should make over the 18k barrier. But her last tax papers has 11k on it. I want to know if she can still be my only sponsor as we have looked and tried to get other people to help but no luck.

Someone should let me know if she can be the only sponsor with letters explaining that she would earn more this tax year and I would be working too as soon as I get my EAD so our earnings should beat the Poverty Guideline set target.

Please kindly let me know who should write these letters and Template copies would be appreciated

VIC

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Got RFE for I-485 28th July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

Contacted congressman Oct 17th

Faxed documents to congressman Oct 17th

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from CR-1 to AOS from Student Visa as OP is already in the country *****

Yes your wife can be the only sponsor. You should be prepared to show letters from both jobs stating how long she's been there, how much she earns and that this is expected to be a long-term job, as well as several paystubs from each job.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Thanks for your response to my question. I will like to know what the letter will look like and what the letter should contain. She can get any letter from her job but we just need to know the format in which the letter should be and as for pay stubs how many do you think is enough? And how recent should they be?

Thanks

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The employer letter should give her title, length of employment, pay rate.

As recent as possible for the paystubs. The CO wants to see that the person is currently working at the rate(s) indicated in the employer letter.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Thank you all for all the responses. I really appreciate. Another quick question. What tax documents are we expected to have in the affidavit of support? Is it just copies of W-02 forms or all the papers that came back from HR block. I ask these questions cos I am new with this and I dont want to make any mistakes.

Thanks

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Y'all. I got the RFE today and it was about my wife not meeting the 125% Federal Poverty guideline. Now my questions is my wife made about 11k last year how much is the minimum my joint sponsor make on their tax forms? Also, I will like to know if getting a sponsor from another state will not be a problem. Please I need answers

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi Y'all. I got the RFE today and it was about my wife not meeting the 125% Federal Poverty guideline. Now my questions is my wife made about 11k last year how much is the minimum my joint sponsor make on their tax forms? Also, I will like to know if getting a sponsor from another state will not be a problem. Please I need answers

it all depends on how many dependants the joint sponsor has, the joint sponsor has to cover his/her own family plus you.

www.uscis.gov/forms and check out the i864P, the Poverty guidelines.

yes he or she can be from another state.

you should have already gotten a joint sponsor, the minimum for 2 is over 18 thousand, so if your wife made only 11, she would need a joint sponsor.

Edited by aleful

it all depends on how many dependants the joint sponsor has, the joint sponsor has to cover his/her own family plus you.

www.uscis.gov/forms and check out the i864P, the Poverty guidelines.

yes he or she can be from another state.

you should have already gotten a joint sponsor, the minimum for 2 is over 18 thousand, so if your wife made only 11, she would need a joint sponsor.

Thanks very much for your response. I didn't initially get a sponsor because I thought they would put her earnings this year into consideration. But I will get a sponsor ASAP. But to ask again if the joint sponsor and his earnings was 7k and he is single will that do?

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thanks very much for your response. I didn't initially get a sponsor because I thought they would put her earnings this year into consideration. But I will get a sponsor ASAP. But to ask again if the joint sponsor and his earnings was 7k and he is single will that do?

no, the minimum is over 18 thousand for 2 people, if the joint sponsor is single and no dependants plus you, that makes 2. he or she cannot combine income with your wifes.

the joint sponsor alone has to make over the 125% over the poverty guidelines.

ok thanks.

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi ,

I have the same situation like you.

You got REF even though you show her more than 18K for current year or you didn't???

Am I right?

Yeah.... My wife is going to make more than 18k this year but they were not interested I guess since her last year tax refund papers showed only 11k. I am desperately looking for someone to help out with the sponsorship now.

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

Yeah.... My wife is going to make more than 18k this year but they were not interested I guess since her last year tax refund papers showed only 11k. I am desperately looking for someone to help out with the sponsorship now.

I think you are reading your RFE wrong. They do take into account CURRENT income, but you must show proof of current income with a letter from the employer and/or paystubs. Did you send that in? I will bet you the RFE says something about including proof of current income. If the I-864 is insufficient for some other reason, the boilerplate response says "did not make poverty line" but you need to read deeper.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

It says it did not make the poverty line. my wife has 3 jobs and when we worked it all out she would cross the 18k line. I had pay stubs from three jobs and letters from two jobs in my packet and they said it still did not meet the poverty guidelines. I am left to look for sponsor now which is not close as of yet

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I can understand a CO's worry about someone with 3 jobs to meet the requirement. If that person lost one of those jobs it could put the couple in tough shape where they would be more likely to need a means tested benefit.

A joint sponsor can be any US citizen or Green Card holder.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.