11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys. We received our first RFE, asking for three things in subsequent to the first one. When we filed for my foreign spouse's aos, I had not yet filed for 2010 tax returns. I had made a note to them that I will send those out as soon as I file them. I filed for them the week after we mailed out the package, but I was waiting to receive the first NOA to have a file number before I mail it out.

Well we have received both, the First NOA, and the RFE. The rfe has asked me to first submit the latest tax return, and then it also says that my income doesn't meet the poverty guidelines, and I know it does. I have no other dependents and I make more that twice as much required....and so they are asking for all other things like employment letter, bank statements, pay stubs, asset list, etc.

My question is, if anyone is able to answer me, if I only submit the tax return will that be sufficient, along with the poverty guidelines proving that I earn sufficient amount of money?

Gathering all the other things at this stage will be time consuming, plus I do not want to share my private paperwork such as bank statements and such with them.

Please advise.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys. We received our first RFE, asking for three things in subsequent to the first one. When we filed for my foreign spouse's aos, I had not yet filed for 2010 tax returns. I had made a note to them that I will send those out as soon as I file them. I filed for them the week after we mailed out the package, but I was waiting to receive the first NOA to have a file number before I mail it out.

Well we have received both, the First NOA, and the RFE. The rfe has asked me to first submit the latest tax return, and then it also says that my income doesn't meet the poverty guidelines, and I know it does. I have no other dependents and I make more that twice as much required....and so they are asking for all other things like employment letter, bank statements, pay stubs, asset list, etc.

My question is, if anyone is able to answer me, if I only submit the tax return will that be sufficient, along with the poverty guidelines proving that I earn sufficient amount of money?

Gathering all the other things at this stage will be time consuming, plus I do not want to share my private paperwork such as bank statements and such with them.

Please advise.

Hi Desi78:

Suggest you send all the documents they stated in the RFE. It may take time but you mightt get another RFE cuz you haven't completed the needed documents, and, that would certainly lead to more unnecessary delays.Look at it this way, you will still bring those documents to the interview anyway so might as well start gathering them now.

Good luck!

prep.mac

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Are you self employed or are you a wage/salary earner?

Self employed - income measured is from your most recent 1040 tax return line 22.

Wage/Salary earner - income measured is current and continuing income. Demonstrate this with a few recent paystubs and an employer letter. Last year's tax return says nothing about your present income.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

If I submit the letter of employment, few of the most recent pay stubs, and my 2010 income tax return, will that be enough for the RFE? They also want a list of assets, which I truly do not have except car and my 401k. I also do not believe in submitting my bank statements, its a matter of privacy for me. What to do guys think?

They do not need your personal bank statements...what they need is any joint bank account you may have with your spouse. But even if they need your bank everything, you may as well give them as they are the government itself and would know even without you. Unless, you do not want your spouse to know about your financial standing...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If I submit the letter of employment, few of the most recent pay stubs, and my 2010 income tax return, will that be enough for the RFE? They also want a list of assets, which I truly do not have except car and my 401k. I also do not believe in submitting my bank statements, its a matter of privacy for me. What to do guys think?

I think the RFE listed assets because they said you did not meet the poverty guideline, and were asking for assets for you to try and meet it. I think if you submit your tax transcript(or return, being sure to include all schedules, W-2s, 1099s, etc.), employment letter and pay stubs proving you are well over the poverty level, then there should be no need to list assets.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

To answer Delaw's concern, my wife knows about my finances, we however do not have a joint account yet, because she does not have a social security number yet. It has been 6 weeks since we applied, and when we called them back after a month to see whats taking so long, the rep in the office said that it could take from 4 weeks to six months. So unfortunately, I cannot add her on any of my documents because they all require a ssn. I don't know what to do, I am sure if her interview comes up before the ssn is issued, we will have to explain ourselves to the officer.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

To answer Delaw's concern, my wife knows about my finances, we however do not have a joint account yet, because she does not have a social security number yet. It has been 6 weeks since we applied, and when we called them back after a month to see whats taking so long, the rep in the office said that it could take from 4 weeks to six months. So unfortunately, I cannot add her on any of my documents because they all require a ssn. I don't know what to do, I am sure if her interview comes up before the ssn is issued, we will have to explain ourselves to the officer.

Hi desi78!

My husband didnt have a problem adding my name to his existing bank account 3 days after we got married (it's a major US bank, btw). The bank gave us a printout right away and we included that in our AOS packet. I only presented to the Bank my Philippine passport and water/internet bills showing we live in the same address. Up til now I still don't have my SSN cuz EAD is not yet here. So it is possible you can include her name in your bank accounts to get a joint bank account which the USCIS will want to see on the interview too to show co-mingling of resources/finances.

As to your assets, I suggest you write a cover letter to USCIS detailing the documents you submitted in response to the RFE,enough to prove to them you have met, or, even exceeded the stated income in the poverty guidelines (I-864P).If you can tell them that, and, if they still want your list of assets, they will send another RFE. Just my thoughts.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

prep.mac

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You only need the 2010 tax return BUT because you got an RFE you would be better of also including some pay stubs and an employer letter. Assets are not required because you earn enough, that would only be if you're needed assets to qualify.

They are NOT asking for a joint bank account. They are asking fr ANY of your bank accounts that have money enough to elp with assets. As you're basing it on your income you don't HAVE to include this letter but if you want to its fine. Doesn't need to be joint.

Also, Wells Fargo didn't want to make a bank account for me unless I had my SSN but she DID anyway and then I had to go back in with it when I got it. Ask to speak to a supervisor and see what they say.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

they only want a letter from your bank basically saying what type of account you have and how long the account has been open..the employment letter just needs to say when you started working there ,if your position is full or partime and what your pay is( i.e. $20/hr)...theses are not optional requests either..whether you make the poverty guidelines or not..you need to send these things in.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.